Lost Aircraft Search on HF Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
As you all no by now there is a lost Airline Jet. Here are some frequencies that were emailed to me tonight. If you hear anything on them please post it.

"HF frequencies for Southeast Asia aircraft involved in search are: 13309 & 13318 KHz USB. Other aircraft frequencies for various parts of the world range from 13294 to 13357. Also some traffic on 17961 occasionally."

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The UDXF has had several reports of this. Folks are mainly using the South East Asian remote sites (such as the ones in Japan, and the Netherlands SDR site). 5680 apparently is a popular target, but would be tough from the East Coast due to the low power and propagation

I kinda doubt (tho it's possible) 13 Mhz would be used for a daytime search since it would hop right over the search area....

Mike

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
8942kHz is more active now at 1900z and Shannon HFDL is still beeping away in the background. Manila is quite strong but still s0 - there are others stations but they gabble their names so quickly that it's difficult to determine where they are. Just after dawn here so it's about 0300local in Singapore so I would expect to hear them quite well.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That site is very interesting, but I highly doubt that any HFDL, MWARA or RDARA freqs would be used in a SAR operation. Just too much traffic that wouldn't be related, and I'm sure the folks involved in the rescue (we should probably say search and recovery now...) operation want a relatively clear frequency

I should also note that, at least here in the States, this event is now considered to be part of a criminal act, so it's likely that US comms will become more difficult to hear.

Still any reports of recovery ops related to the Malaysian airliner disappearance are welcome. If you are using a remote please be sure to specify which one you're using. It would add to the information base.

Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
By way of explanation, for those that aren't aware of them - there are numerous web based radios out there that you can tune and listen (usually after a free registration) to frequencies in other parts of the world that you normally can't hear due to propagation and other issues.

These sites are known to have remotes in Asia or in the Pacific - the general areas most likely to be able to hear the recovery comms.

Perseus Servers Map - Microtelecom s.r.l.

GlobalTuners - On-line remotely controlled tuners

SDRSPACE.com

If there are other such sites please post 'em...Mike

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
RESCUE 102 & 105 heard at 0100UTC today on 13.306MHz one of the INO-1 frequencies, communicating with BRISBANE.

After arriving in the Indian Ocean search area, they transfer to a discrete HF frequency for military flight following by the Australian Defence Force from mainland Australia.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Weak comms heard here RESCUE wkg CANBERRA CONTROL on 12.172MHz @ 0523UTC.

brandon

Database Admin
I logged some Rescue flights on 13306 for INO-1 region overnight listening from my location in California. Good conditions are making it possible to hear stuff from North America.

• Brisbane relaying to Rescue 105 clearance from Melbourne Centre --- mentions coordinates 42 05S 100 00E. Audio Clip
  • Rescue 795 (New Zealand a/c?) calling Brisbane, no response. Audio Clip
See this post by Tim for mission freqs
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/udxf/conversations/messages/55739

I'll be monitoring the 15 MHz freq overnight to see what turns up. European listeners are reporting comms on 15962 USB today.

ridgescan

0132utc on 13306kHz usb, I am hearing unid station calling "Rescue 802" but cannot hear 802. Thanks for the tip B. will keep it on monitor here.

brandon

Database Admin
13306 USB 1318Z Rescue 931 (Chinese accent?) wkg Brisbane @ position 36-05 S 108 52 E

mancow

Database Admin
I'm barely receiving it here near KC. Getting selcal tones too.

EDIT: Signals are getting stronger. I'm hearing the guy with the Australian accent talking about Brisbane.

Last edited:

KB9IN

Fair signal on 13.306 USB at 1544 in WI. Could only hear one side when the YL op tried a Selcal unsuccessfully. Wish I had a better antenna.

KB9IN

Getting those signals from your QTH is IMHO pretty darn good. I could barely get 'em here on the coast.
I normally can pick up the net controls of Military networks at my QTH but it's getting the replies that's a challenge. I imagine the sigs are skipping right over you & hitting the midwest.

brandon

Database Admin
Early this morning I logged Rescue 931 (Chinese aircraft) with Canberra Control on 12172 regarding search status and other traffic. Same aircraft was also up with Brisbane on 13306. Pretty good signal on 13 megs as we got closer to local sunrise on the US west coast.

metal57

I also logged Rescue 931, from the UK, at 10:18Z on 22868. He gave his position as 27.25S 090.45E with an altitude of 1000ft.

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Had some activity last night on 15962, but it was pretty weak here.

Caught Rescue 931 yesterday on 12172 and today on 13306 as well. The signal from the aircraft on 13306 were not too bad either here in California. Here is an audio clip from my Wellbrook loop:13306-Rescue931.mp3

Of course by the time signals start to come in better, the flights are headed back to base.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.