Non-Military, Federal or state HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I really enjoy listening to all the military HF, aero, and marine comms. , but was curious if anyone had any Federal or state freq. that were non-military that are used often. I have the monitoring tims top 1000 HF PDF. Just have not heard much. For example, the state of Illinois D.O.T. still has HF radios, according to the list. In this day and age I find that hard to believe, but very cool if they really do. Thanks, Mike

nd5y

Most states have HF licenses. The ones that don't have SHARES stations on federal frequencies.
As far as I know unless there is an anctual emergency they are only allowed to use the HF radios for training and testing purposes for limited periods of time.

See:
SECURE - The RadioReference Wiki
SHAred RESources (SHARES) High Frequency(HF) Radio Program
National Communications System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.hfindustry.com/meetings_..._hfia/presentations/09_shares full slides.pdf

Last edited:

Haley

Tom, thank you for the links-----off to do some reading! Mike

SCPD

QRT
I really enjoy listening to all the military HF, aero, and marine comms. , but was curious if anyone had any Federal or state freq. that were non-military that are used often. I have the monitoring tims top 1000 HF PDF. Just have not heard much. For example, the state of Illinois D.O.T. still has HF radios, according to the list. In this day and age I find that hard to believe, but very cool if they really do. Thanks, Mike

CAP, MARS, SHARES and USCG Auxiliary are about all that exist any more and most, if not all, are military-affiliated...

There are a couple of Federal agencies that use HF but it's all data.

In my last six years of listening to HF (almost daily) I have yet to hear any "state" specific HF voice communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.