RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Utility Listening

Utility Listening Discussions regarding monitoring government, military, aircraft, ship, and other misc communications in the HF/MW/LF bands.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 10:07 AM

Default Non-Military, Federal or state HF

I really enjoy listening to all the military HF, aero, and marine comms. , but was curious if anyone had any Federal or state freq. that were non-military that are used often. I have the monitoring tims top 1000 HF PDF. Just have not heard much. For example, the state of Illinois D.O.T. still has HF radios, according to the list. In this day and age I find that hard to believe, but very cool if they really do. Thanks, Mike
Old 04-19-2014, 1:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Most states have HF licenses. The ones that don't have SHARES stations on federal frequencies.
As far as I know unless there is an anctual emergency they are only allowed to use the HF radios for training and testing purposes for limited periods of time.

See:
SECURE - The RadioReference Wiki
SHAred RESources (SHARES) High Frequency(HF) Radio Program
National Communications System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.hfindustry.com/meetings_p...l%20slides.pdf

Last edited by nd5y; 04-19-2014 at 1:13 PM..
Old 04-19-2014, 4:38 PM

Tom, thank you for the links-----off to do some reading! Mike
Old 04-20-2014, 5:58 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley View Post
I really enjoy listening to all the military HF, aero, and marine comms. , but was curious if anyone had any Federal or state freq. that were non-military that are used often. I have the monitoring tims top 1000 HF PDF. Just have not heard much. For example, the state of Illinois D.O.T. still has HF radios, according to the list. In this day and age I find that hard to believe, but very cool if they really do. Thanks, Mike
CAP, MARS, SHARES and USCG Auxiliary are about all that exist any more and most, if not all, are military-affiliated...

There are a couple of Federal agencies that use HF but it's all data.

In my last six years of listening to HF (almost daily) I have yet to hear any "state" specific HF voice communications.