South China Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
There is a very tense conflict to listen for on HF and SATCOM. It's all going down near the Philippines in an area of the South China Sea known as Spratly Islands.

US, China set for high-stakes rivalry in skies above South China Sea

Kerry: US concerned by China's actions in South China Sea - BBC News

U.S. looking at strategy for countering China's moves in South China Sea - LA Times

We have sent aircraft and ships to the area as did Japan. We also have aircraft on standby in Guam and possibly in Australia. Within the last two months China has formed new alliances with Russia and North Korea so things could get interesting..

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
This issue has been going on for decades. It has recently blown up, from what I have read, due to China's extending it's "territorial" waters to include a larger area in the South China sea. This was done in order to keep the US spy ships and planes farther away thus making them sail and fly in international waters farther out from China.

Here's the CNN link:

China cautions U.S. Navy on patrols in South China Sea - CNNPolitics.com

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
This is a completely new issue that has just sprung up within the last year. Within the 700 reefs and atolls that make up the Spratly Islands, China decided to build multiple artificial islands large enough to support building military airfields on them. This did not go over well with the Philippines, Vietnam, Brunei, Taiwan, or Malaysia, these are some of the countries who own the mini islands that make up the Spratly Islands. They're now pissed because China's new artificial islands overlap on top of their land.

On top of that BS, China has now setup an ADIZ in the South China Sea surrounding the Spratly Islands. Just a few hours ago, China ordered US and Philippine military aircraft to leave the area while flying in international airspace. The order is believed to have come from a brand new radar facility on Fiery Cross Reef.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OK let's get this out of the range of international relations, and back to Utility DX. Anyone have any relevant logs?

If not, this thread will get moved...Mike

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick note. In addition to P8A's flying out of the Philippines and Okinawa, I stumbled across 2 flying out of Malaysia. Both appear to be stationed at Kuala Lumpur.

majoco

Stirrer

Sounds to me IMHO more like the Flight Director on an aircraft carrier in rough weather talking down an aircraft on radar. The ship is trying to steer into wind and is told to steer 310 degrees. To the aircraft the wind should be coming straight down the flight deck and he is trying to fly into it, 180 degs relative to the ships head but the ship is wallowing all over the place so the aircraft is being advised what the apparent wind direction and speed is (170 7 knots 160 9 knots etc) at one time the controller tells the pilot he has 2.9 nautical miles to run. I'd turn round and go home.... :D

invergordon

My guess is that this is a warship providing heading and speed indicators to a smaller boat that is operating in poor visibility. The first part of the message is "(callsign not understood) maintain your heading and pick up speed to 10 knots.....". And I think there is reference maintaining a straight course and to being 2.5 nautical miles from the beach so perhaps a landing craft?

Status
Not open for further replies.