Confused about police in Washington County.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwnut13

All of these are the same frequency, and the same tone.

VSP Middlesex:
460.4250 - KSU610 - 136.5 PL

Berlin Police Department:
460.4250 - KSU584 - 136.5 PL

Northfield Police Department:
460.4250 - WNAN963 - 136.5 PL

Waterbury Police Department:
460.4250 - KSU584 - 136.5 PL

Is there anyone from the area that knows what's going on here?

Blackink

I'll be watching this thread as I too find that a bit confusing. I've never heard Berlin police on that frequency that I know of. At least they haven't 't identified themselves that I've heard.

If I ever get the chance and see someone from the Berlin PD, I'll ask them what frequency they operate on.

I don't get up to Northfield or Waterbury much so I can't ask them about that frequency either.

Tappy5421

Premium Subscriber
It's because Berlin PD, Waterbury PD, and Northfield Pd are dispatched by VSP Middlesex. Northfield PD has their own frequency and thier own dispatch M-F from 8a-4p and then VSP Middlesex will dispatch them off of the Northfield frequency from 4p-8a and all day Sat and Sun.

cmpsa

FYI: Northfield Police operates on their own radio system, which is: 460.6375 Rptr D-125. This is 100% confirmed usage.

FYI: Waterbury Police operates on their own radio system, which is: 460.175 Rptr D-654. This is 100% confirmed usage.

=====
460.4250 - KSU610 - PL 136.5 is VT SP-Middlesex State Police Ops. Now the local towns are sometimes licensed on the VTSP freq as well, so some are dispatched through them (full time or part time). But local patrol happens on the local channel (MV stops, etc).

Blackink

FYI: Waterbury Police operates on their own radio system, which is: 460.175 Rptr D-654. This is 100% confirmed usage..

I entered this frequency in my scanner and I can hear the Waterbury PD but it sure does have some static noise on it.
I'm only 15 miles from there and this frequency is noisier than police departments that come in clear some 40 miles away.

Could it be the radio system they use that causes this frequency to have so much extra noise?
Or maybe the antenna set-up they have?

vwnut13

I entered this frequency in my scanner and I can hear the Waterbury PD but it sure does have some static noise on it.
I'm only 15 miles from there and this frequency is noisier than police departments that come in clear some 40 miles away.

Could it be the radio system they use that causes this frequency to have so much extra noise?
Or maybe the antenna set-up they have?

Took a little road trip today and can confirm that SOUTH BURLINGTON PD is operating on 460.175 with tone DCS 654. Can absolutely 100% confirm, as we happened to be one car behind one of their cruisers when they were dispatched to a medical.

I didn't hear anything on that channel around the Waterbury area (although we were just driving by on the interstate). Perhaps you were picking up South Burlington and not Waterbury?

I did hear someone (fire or medical, maybe both, can't remember) get dispatched to Colchester on 155.205. Not sure exactly who the dispatch was.

Blackink

I'll keep listening to the 460.175 frequency. I was sure that when I did hear them transmit, I was hearing them talk about roads located in Waterbury but it was only a couple of transmissions.

I hear Essex EMS Dispatch on 155.205 PL 162.2.

Thanks for the info vwnut13.

vwnut13

I'll keep listening to the 460.175 frequency. I was sure that when I did hear them transmit, I was hearing them talk about roads located in Waterbury but it was only a couple of transmissions.

I hear Essex EMS Dispatch on 155.205 PL 162.2.

Thanks for the info vwnut13.

All I know is that I can confirm without a doubt that South Burlington operates on 460.175 / DCS 654. Seems odd that the two police stations would be operating on the same tone, but I don't doubt it.

Do you have any idea on the Hardwick PD frequency? I'm trying to build a master list of Vermont PD frequencies (analog) for my scanner.

Blackink

Like I said earlier, I'll listen more carefully and see if it was from the So. Burlington area.

I've heard Hardwick Rescue on 159.2175 DCS732

I haven't found or heard any Hardwick PD yet but anything I do hear from that area is a very weak signal and sometimes hard to understand.
I do have 453.9625 listed for Hardwick PD with tone set on SEARCH but I have yet to hear anything from it in 6 months or so since I programmed it into my scanner.

Tower7Troll

FYI: Northfield Police operates on their own radio system, which is: 460.6375 Rptr D-125. This is 100% confirmed usage.

FYI: Waterbury Police operates on their own radio system, which is: 460.175 Rptr D-654. This is 100% confirmed usage.

=====
460.4250 - KSU610 - PL 136.5 is VT SP-Middlesex State Police Ops. Now the local towns are sometimes licensed on the VTSP freq as well, so some are dispatched through them (full time or part time). But local patrol happens on the local channel (MV stops, etc).

Berlin Police is dispatched by VSP Middlesex full time. "Local patrol" as you put it does not occur on a separate frequency. The majority of their operations are carried out on the Middlesex repeater, State Channel 2 (car-to-car --- not a repeater talk around channel), or the VHF local repeater if interfacing with fire/ems/highway.

Tower7Troll

Re: 460.175

That frequency is in use by multiple agencies within the state of Vermont. Off the top of my head, I can think of Montpelier, VSP, South Burlington, Waterbury, amongst others scattered throughout the state.

vwnut13

Re: 460.175

That frequency is in use by multiple agencies within the state of Vermont. Off the top of my head, I can think of Montpelier, VSP, South Burlington, Waterbury, amongst others scattered throughout the state.

I find it odd that so many police departments are using the same frequency AND tone.

St Albans, South Burlington (City), and Montpelier are all listed in the database as using 460.050 on 118.8.
Waterbury and South Burlington (Town) both use 460.175 with DCS 654.

With sooo many tones available, why not use different ones?

Speaking of tones, does anyone know what tone Randolph PD uses? I have my frequencies alpha tagged and St Albans VSP (460.025 / 173.8) kept coming up under Randolph as I have no tone programmed for them.

jimlawrence

Ok, let me chime in with my two cents of disinformation.

VSP Middlesex dispatches Waterbury and Berlin on 460.425. Listen for the "M" before the unit numbers. The four digit units prefixed with an "M" are Berlin (M11XX, as I recall), the three digit units prefixed with an "M" are Waterbury. Three digit units without an "M" are VSP.

460.175 is South Burlington. Some of you may hear an annoying buzz on that frequency. I believe Grafton Co. NH sheriff or some other entity in NH is using that freq. for their MDTs so that freq is not widely used by PDs east of the spine of the Green Mountains. Also be aware that South Burlington does use P-25 digital on that frequency too. I have never heard Waterbury PD on that frequency but I could be wrong about that.

Randolph (not in Washington Co.) is dispatched by VSP Royalton on 460.025, (PL 156.7). Yes, VSP Royalton shares that freq. with VSP St. Albans. Listen for M31X units on that frequency; those are Randolph units. Randolph also simulcasts VSP Royalton on 453.9125 but I have never heard mobiles on 458.9125. Orange Co. sheriff uses 460.200 and I have never heard a Randolph unit on that frequency but, again, I could be wrong about that.

Northfield PD does run their own frequency, 460.6375, as documented above.

Barre City PD runs on 460.075. Barre Town PD uses 453.450. Montpelier uses 460.050, as does St. Albans PD and both run a PL of 118.8. Montpelier PD dispatch is "800", St. Albans dispatch is "central".

Washington Co. sheriff uses 460.350 primarily and 460.450 rarely.

Hope that's some help. Happy listening!

cmpsa

RE: FYI: Waterbury Police operates on their own radio system, which is: 460.175 Rptr D-654. This is 100% confirmed usage..

A Waterbury Police Officer had given me the D-654 from their radio tech. I put it in my scanner and was hearing it just about full scale in Waterbury. But nothing surprises me in VT, as I drive atop a hill, sit & listen to a freq for (Abc) to talk, and hear NY and other licensee's across VT. So sometimes it's tough to verify the PL/DPL tone you hear is in fact the town you are sitting in waiting to talk....

So we now know that D-654 is Not Waterbury, but Town of South Burlington. Which is weird, because I spent 2 days in Waterbury and that was the only tone that I heard in 2 days..

ecps92

Those who use/used 460.4250 were (from my ole OSG's - Circa 1990's)

Norwich M10 - M19
Northfield M290-M299
Randolph M310-M317
Berlin M430-M439
Waterbury M440-M449
Woodstock M480-M489
Barre M570-M589

Ok, let me chime in with my two cents of disinformation.

VSP Middlesex dispatches Waterbury and Berlin on 460.425. Listen for the "M" before the unit numbers. The four digit units prefixed with an "M" are Berlin (M11XX, as I recall), the three digit units prefixed with an "M" are Waterbury. Three digit units without an "M" are VSP.

460.175 is South Burlington. Some of you may hear an annoying buzz on that frequency. I believe Grafton Co. NH sheriff or some other entity in NH is using that freq. for their MDTs so that freq is not widely used by PDs east of the spine of the Green Mountains. Also be aware that South Burlington does use P-25 digital on that frequency too. I have never heard Waterbury PD on that frequency but I could be wrong about that.

Randolph (not in Washington Co.) is dispatched by VSP Royalton on 460.025, (PL 156.7). Yes, VSP Royalton shares that freq. with VSP St. Albans. Listen for M31X units on that frequency; those are Randolph units. Randolph also simulcasts VSP Royalton on 453.9125 but I have never heard mobiles on 458.9125. Orange Co. sheriff uses 460.200 and I have never heard a Randolph unit on that frequency but, again, I could be wrong about that.

Northfield PD does run their own frequency, 460.6375, as documented above.

Barre City PD runs on 460.075. Barre Town PD uses 453.450. Montpelier uses 460.050, as does St. Albans PD and both run a PL of 118.8. Montpelier PD dispatch is "800", St. Albans dispatch is "central".

Washington Co. sheriff uses 460.350 primarily and 460.450 rarely.

Hope that's some help. Happy listening!

Blackink

Took a little road trip today and can confirm that SOUTH BURLINGTON PD is operating on 460.175 with tone DCS 654. Perhaps you were picking up South Burlington and not Waterbury?

That was what I heard, So. Burlington for sure....
The more I hear transmissions on that frequency, the more I hear So. Burlinton and I haven't heard Waterbury once.

My mistake.....

Blackink

Montpelier uses 460.050, as does St. Albans PD and both run a PL of 118.8. Montpelier PD dispatch is "800", St. Albans dispatch is "central".

It's funny you mentioned this now. I've only had my scanner a little over a year and the ST-2 antenna was hooked up in August I think.
I never heard any St. Albans transmissions on 460.0500 PL 118.8 until tonight, and now I've heard them several times.
They're 70 miles away from me! I'm not getting any signal strength bars showing on my display but I can hear them easily enough.

I wonder why I'm hearing them now? I've been hearing them ever since we got some snow over the last 2 days but never before.

vwnut13

It's funny you mentioned this now. I've only had my scanner a little over a year and the ST-2 antenna was hooked up in August I think.
I never heard any St. Albans transmissions on 460.0500 PL 118.8 until tonight, and now I've heard them several times.
They're 70 miles away from me! I'm not getting any signal strength bars showing on my display but I can hear them easily enough.

I wonder why I'm hearing them now? I've been hearing them ever since we got some snow over the last 2 days but never before.

My favorite is when I'm traveling through Franconia Notch in NH. You can pick up Williston VSP with the stock Uniden rubber ducky antenna! That's a good 75 miles straight line distance. I was in absolute shock the first time I heard them all the way in NH.

I think we need to start a thread in this forum where us Vermonters can post out local scanner frequency knowledge and then we can have someone update the database. I've got Caledonia county covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.