Phone lines working intermittently across Vermont....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

Landlines and the 911 telephone system is having problems across the State of Vermont.

Both the landlines and the 911 Emergency phone system are working intermittently and dispatchers across the state are toning out agencies to make them aware of the problems.

Barre City even posted to Facebook advising anyone needing emergency services, if they cannot get through on the 911 system, to go out and pull the call boxes that are attached to the telephone poles! I didn't even know these call boxes still worked.

They have also posted 2 cell phone numbers if needed.

I believe the telephone problems are related to:
1) The snowstorm that hit the Northeast Wednesday night into Thursday morning dropping up to 16" of snow in some spots. Also causing wide spread power outages and telephone service getting interrupted due to tress and limbs falling on lines.
2) The 6 week old strike that is going on right now between Fairpoint Communications and it's workers.
Fairpoint has hired replacement workers while the regular workers are on strike.

What a mess.....

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
The switches and lines the landline telephone companies own play a role in 911. I wonder if any local or at&t switches provide fiber back bone to cellular networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.