RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Vertex Standard

Vertex Standard Discussions regarding Vertex Standard professional and public safety radio equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 PM

Exclamation vertex radio problems

I have the vertex vx-800 uhf firmware 1.25. I seem to have a huge problem in the squelching. When im near a computer, wireless router or cell phone my squelch opens. even if i pl set it attacks for about 15 msecs. I even set the Squelch to 7 and it still occurs. The worst part is when I have a Frequency like 462.5500 without any PL/DPL the squelch opens and start blasting near most electonic devices.

please can anyone one help me out hear? If I upgrade the firmware can it help out with this.
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is the PL set for both RX and TX, if you have it set right it shouldn't do that.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Oh and make sure you do not have it set in monitor mode my accident
Old 03-28-2010, 5:43 PM

yes i do have PL set on RX & TX side. when near electionic devices the green light start flashing but the audio is silent. once i RX a transmission there a squelch blast at the end of each tranmissions for about 15 msecs. can you PM me with the info if you can please.
Old 04-02-2010, 4:26 AM

Look at your squelch hang time. that may help?
Sponsored links

Old 04-02-2010, 6:48 AM

Welcome to the radio world with all the consumer electronics and their poor RF emissions control.
Your not the only one with that problem. Get use to it or stay away from all the electronics.

Even the best of radios out there get knocked by the same noise floor radiating trash electronics
today. Just about any computer bought today has the minimum effort put into them to keep
the digital noise from being radiated.

Why do you think that most of the public safety radio sites are attempted to be placed in
locations with minimum of consumer electronics near by. It doesn't take a 5th grader to
figure out that the less electronics means a quieter radio location.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxscan View Post
I have the vertex vx-800 uhf firmware 1.25. I seem to have a huge problem in the squelching. When im near a computer, wireless router or cell phone my squelch opens. even if i pl set it attacks for about 15 msecs. I even set the Squelch to 7 and it still occurs. The worst part is when I have a Frequency like 462.5500 without any PL/DPL the squelch opens and start blasting near most electonic devices.

please can anyone one help me out hear? If I upgrade the firmware can it help out with this.
Old 04-02-2010, 8:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, Jim is pretty much right- Stay away from the computers and electronics.

Your radio shouldn't just "open up," .. or open squelch whenever it feels like... but this would be in an open area, not around buildings or businesses/ homes. The green light may flash; the radio may miss intended radio signals, but it shouldn't just make noise/static on it's own w/ PL programmed.

Now, if a radio signal was being transmitted from say, a tower site or near by source, and it had your programmed frequency/ CTCSS while you were around these devices making static and such, yes, the CTCSS decode will open, because CTCSS is a much lower frequency and travels further. This lower frequency (Hz rather then MHz) the radio will see easier, and then "open up" .. allowing the intended MHz frequency- which is now junk due to the computers/ electronics in the area- to make static.

I use CTCSS because "PL" is Motorola's "Private Line" .. same thing.. but I dislike Motorola. and I rather type extra letters then give Moto credit.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerdrmmr182 View Post
Look at your squelch hang time. that may help?
Its greyed out on the programming software any other suggestions?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Do you have the microphone hung up or grounded, sounds like it's not going into CTCSS mode. Also are the PL codes 179.9,118.8 0r 121.3 those false on 60hz hum and their harmonics.
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2012, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2OBW View Post
Is the PL set for both RX and TX, if you have it set right it shouldn't do that.
Good afternoon. I have a portable radio vertex-800 input and programming fails. checked all the settings. I can not send private messages to the user K2OB please write the answer to serdg2004@hotmail.com

Tags
pl/dpl, squelch, vertex radio problems, vx-800