RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Vertex Standard

Vertex Standard Discussions regarding Vertex Standard professional and public safety radio equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 10:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Problems with speaker microphones on the VX-454 VHF

My employer's ambulances use the VX-454 VHF (brand new) for communication when outside the vehicle.

I personally purchased a MH-360S and a couple of MH-45B4B speaker microphones for use with these radios, and they do not work, specifically, they broadcast dead air when the PTT button on them or the main portable PTT button is depressed.

The speaker function seems to work fine, but they are useless as microphones

I have been told this may be a programming issue, please could someone with experience with these radios confirm and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Call Tom with Red Dog Radios. He will walk you through whatever issue you are having. His shop is right down the road from Boulder in Louisville. He is also likely your nearest authorized Vertex warranty repair shop. Good luck.

Red Dog Radios
Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks, I'll give Tom a call Monday.

I downloaded the (free) CE115 software to see if there was anything about enabling the speaker microphone. I see two possible settings that might interfere with correct operation of the external speaker microphone:

Speaker Microphone vs. Speaker Microphone (DC)
External microphone gain

Anyone have experience with VX-45x series and genuine Vertex external speaker microphones? (MH-360S and MH-45B4B)

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 01-15-2012, 8:28 PM

We have multiple radios of this line (VX454, VX459) in service at my department, and have not experienced the same problem you are describing yet. I also personnaly use these radios, and am very happy with them. If you want to send me your codeplug, send me a PM, and I will reply with my email. I will take a look at it, and see if I notice anything in the codeplug that could be causing the problem.
Old 01-15-2012, 9:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanknj View Post
We have multiple radios of this line (VX454, VX459) in service at my .... If you want to send me your codeplug, send me a PM, and I will reply with my email. I will take a look at it, and see if I notice anything in the codeplug that could be causing the problem.
Thanks, I will be sure to send it. I don't have access to the program yet. I just purchased a programming cable off eBay (China, two weeks) and already have the software. I was wondering if this is some obvious program problem that folks have seen before.

Cheers,
Dave
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2012, 9:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodStrong View Post
Call Tom with Red Dog Radios.
Tom already replied back, indicating I should get in touch with whoever sold my company these radios for support. That's a little outside my scope (I work for a large company), I just wanted to hook up these darn speaker microphones....

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-16-2012, 7:42 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkabal View Post
Tom already replied back, indicating I should get in touch with whoever sold my company these radios for support. That's a little outside my scope (I work for a large company), I just wanted to hook up these darn speaker microphones....

Cheers,
Dave
Interesting. I would like to PM you with questions, but I don't think you have had enough posts to allow the PM function. Not sure how many you are supposed to have. I would imagine just a hand full more at best.

I have a few 454's that I take care of, although I do not consider myself well versed in programming that particular radio. II can try to help you too if you don't have luck with the other member who offered to look at the program once your cable arrives. So PM me if you still need help.
Old 01-16-2012, 8:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodStrong View Post
I have a few 454's that I take care of, although I do not consider myself well versed in programming that particular radio. II can try to help you too if you don't have luck with the other member who offered to look at the program once your cable arrives. So PM me if you still need help.
Yup, still not PM-qualified.

Thanks! If it's kosher to give out an e-mail, my address is David at Kabal dot org.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-16-2012, 9:18 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkabal View Post
Yup, still not PM-qualified.

Thanks! If it's kosher to give out an e-mail, my address is David at Kabal dot org.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Dave
5 must be the magic number because I see I can PM you now. I'll fire one off to you some time tonight.
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default (solution)

So, we got to the bottom of the issue. It's not a programming issue (not the DC supply, not the gain setting), but likely a firmware issue.

The VX-454s we use are equipped with the recording unit (for recording audio post two-tone signalling). This recording unit seems to interfere with the normal functioning of any speaker microphone.

I hope this helps out someone else trying to diagnose such a frustrating radio issue.

We're working with Vertex at a company-level to fix the problem. In the meantime, we've removed these boards to make the radios work with our speaker microphones.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 04-25-2013, 6:04 PM

Does anyone know if this happens with all Vertex speaker mics or just the 45B4B? I have a 454 with the voice recorder, and I'm curious if this problem occurs with all speaker mics.

dkabal, did Vertex ever resolve this so you could use both? If so, what was the resolution?
Old 04-27-2013, 5:26 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait08 View Post
Does anyone know if this happens with all Vertex speaker mics or just the 45B4B? I have a 454 with the voice recorder, and I'm curious if this problem occurs with all speaker mics.

dkabal, did Vertex ever resolve this so you could use both? If so, what was the resolution?
No,
Make sure you have firmware version 1.17 or higher.
The current is 1.21

I have many in the field with DVS and speaker microphones with no problems.
The old firmware had some bugs.

John
Old 04-27-2013, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNcommLLC View Post
No,
Make sure you have firmware version 1.17 or higher.
The current is 1.21

I have many in the field with DVS and speaker microphones with no problems.
The old firmware had some bugs.

John
Good to know. How do you go about checking the firmware? Is that information available in the programming software? (My cable and software show up on Tuesday) I assume unless I have a firmware writer (which I don't) any updates would have to be through a dealer if I need them?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait08 View Post
Good to know. How do you go about checking the firmware? Is that information available in the programming software? (My cable and software show up on Tuesday) I assume unless I have a firmware writer (which I don't) any updates would have to be through a dealer if I need them?
Turns out my radio was good to go. Fully functional remote mic with the dvs installed!

Tags
issues, mh-360s, mh-45b4b, speaker microphone, vx-454