• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

vx 450 radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

svw

Looking at the vx 450 series any opons on them , are they easy to program. ?

thanks
scott

RodStrong

I deal with around 20 454's, and they seem to be solid radios. Wouldn't hesitate to buy more if needed. An agency I support has had them for over a year now, and they are holding up well with pretty rough service. Vertex software varies between models a bit, but the software for this series isn't too difficult. Good luck.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
I deal with around 20 454's, and they seem to be solid radios. Wouldn't hesitate to buy more if needed. An agency I support has had them for over a year now, and they are holding up well with pretty rough service. Vertex software varies between models a bit, but the software for this series isn't too difficult. Good luck.

Can you comment on the audio output and scan performance of the VX-450 series? I have only had (limited) experience with two Vertex radios; the VX-180V and VX-424, and both of them had low audio output and a tinny sound quality. Scan was also very slow on the VX-180, and the priority sample time was very long and made it difficult to understand traffic on non-priority channels, even with the priority interval set at ~1 second. Scan wasn't set up on the VX-424 I got to play with so I don't know how well it worked on that model.

I wasn't really impressed with the above Vertex radios, but the VX-450 series looks very interesting with the abundant features and IP-57 waterproofing. And they are inexpensive and small enough that I could clip it on the speaker mic strap of my turnout coat and not be too mad if it got damaged.

RodStrong

From what I can tell from having the radio on my desk on a limited basis, the scanning is pretty robust. However, I have not used one in the field for any amount of time, so I would not feel comfortable commenting further.

If I recall correctly, one thing I did notice that I absolutely don't like is if a channel is not in your scan list, and the radio is parked on that channel with scan on, the radio will not scan it. In most radios I've dealt with, the "selected" channel can be set in the scan list to automatically scan the channel the radio is parked on (and/or make it the priority), even if that channel isn't in the scan list on its own. I don't think this is possible on this radio, or if it is, I don't know how to do it. If someone else knows, please PM me.

I don't by any means consider this a deal killer, but it is something significant that the user must understand and know how to get around. I think the audio is fine and loud on them from what little I have dealt with them. Again, I haven't used them in the field though.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
If I recall correctly, one thing I did notice that I absolutely don't like is if a channel is not in your scan list, and the radio is parked on that channel with scan on, the radio will not scan it. In most radios I've dealt with, the "selected" channel can be set in the scan list to automatically scan the channel the radio is parked on (and/or make it the priority), even if that channel isn't in the scan list on its own. I don't think this is possible on this radio, or if it is, I don't know how to do it. If someone else knows, please PM me.

Do you know if this also applies to "Follow-Me" scan? Or does it only do this in normal scan and group scan? I almost always run selected channel priority, so I would be okay with it as long as it doesn't do this in Follow-Me scan. Icoms have a similar limitation when not using selected channel priority, so I would be used to it.

maxkelley

Follow-Me Scan appears to be somewhat of a solution to this... The help in the programming software is actually pretty extensive and helpful.

If you set a button for follow-me scan, and set your scan list up, etc., go into View->Setup Type and change "Scan" to "Expert." Now, go into Common->Miscellaneous and look under Dual-Watch, and make sure that "FM Scan PRI-2 Overwrite" is enabled.

Then, under Channel->Scan Setting make sure that PRI-2 scan is enabled and PRI-1 scan is disabled (unless you'd want another channel to always be PRI-1, and to ALWAYS be scanned w/ priority). You can also change the lookback time, etc.

Give that a try, I guess? You can also set the Scan Revert channel to CH Posi (which it may already be set to) which I find always removes confusion.

Durandal1224

Look at your options

We had our radio shop demo one of these to us (VX-454) and I myself toted it around the county and I have to say I was very dissapointed. The sensitivity rivals that of a suck-sing and the user interface is abhorrent. I was honestly bummed because I really wanted to like this radio, I loved the construction and feel and I didnt mind the CPS for it either, although the battery life wasn't anything to write home about(maybe I had a bad battery). I wouldn't in good conscience recommend this unit to anybody a hair above a recreational user. A comparable radio for the price point would be a tk-2312 from kenwood. I dont mean any offense to anybody that likes this radio, I just am sharing my negative experience with it. Your mileage may vary.

n9upc

Does the VX-450's series do decode of 2 tone signalling. If they do how many total 2 tone combos can they hold? I am looking for something that can do around 10 different 2 tone addresses.

Also have you used the Stored Voice DVS-8 in the radio? Looking for something that can decode the tones and store the message like a pager?

bryanknj

Vertex Option- VX450 Series- Good choice

We have over 20 of the 454 portables in service daily with a busy LE agency, as well as a handful of the 459's, both models which I highly recommend. We are very happy with these portable radios, and they out perform many other radios we tested, while the price is right. We switched all batteries to the heavy duty model upon ordering, and issued everyone two batteries, the heavy duty speaker mic, a charger, and a leather swivel case. I do all of the program for all of our radios. Not only does this ensure they get programmed the way we need them, but also if any issues come up they can be fixed quickly, or when radios are transferred to different personnel, it only takes a few minutes to hook them up, and change the ID. I have all of our radios transmitting MDC1200 signals, and the emergency buttons are also programmed, although that took many hours to figure out how to get them working...

I will answer several of the questions posed throughout the above posts above below...

Two Tone Signaling Capabilities:
Decode: 16 pairs
Encode: 16 pairs

Battery Life:
The heavy duty battery lasts easily three full eight hour shifts with a busy LE agency, if not longer, when new.

Scanning:
I have all radios in our fleet to scan several specific channels, with the selected channel, whatever that may be, as the priority channel, and also the revert channel for transmitting. This channel will also be the chosen channel when the radio is taken out of scan. The emergency MDC alarm reverts back to our main department channel, but you could set this as anything.

The way I have accomplished this is as follows:
Common--> Key Function: A button is designated to activate/deactivate follow me scan
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> PRI-1 CH: Disable
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> Dual Watch--> Pri-1 DW: Disable
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> Dual Watch--> Pri-2 DW: Disable
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> Dual Watch--> Dual Watch Time: 0.5 sec
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> Dual Watch--> Dual Watch Resume Time 1: 2.0 sec
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> Dual Watch--> Dual Watch Resume Time 2: 5.0 sec
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> Dual Watch--> Dual Watch Talk Back: Disable
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> Dual Watch--> Dual Watch Revert Ch: Start Ch
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> Dual Watch--> FM Scan Pri-2 Overwrite: Disable
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> Dual Watch--> Pri-2 Ch Beep: Disable
Miscellaneous--> Misc 1--> Dual Watch--> Dual Watch Beep: Disable

Complete the follow for each group that you will scan within:
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Scan Type: Scan
Channel--> Scan Setting--> PRI Check Time: 0.5 sec
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Talkback: -
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Scan Revert CH: CH Posi
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Selected Ch Group: Blank
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Selected Ch Ch: Blank
Channel--> Scan Setting--> PRI-1 Scan: Checked
Channel--> Scan Setting--> PRI-2 Scan: -
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Group Scan: -
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Scan Beep: -
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Scan Edit: Checked
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Scan Display: -SCAN-
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Resume Time 1: 2.00 SEC
Channel--> Scan Setting--> Resume Time 2: 5.00 SEC

In the box on the right where you assign the channels to the groups, be sure to put a check box next to each channel you want to be included in the scan, however, leave all of the P2 ticks unchecked. You will be able to start scanning on any channel.

n9upc

Has anyone used the VRS-8 voice memory option on these radios?

I am looking to replace my pager (Minitor 5) so I need stored voice and it has to be easy to use to recall stored voice.

I have heard great things about these radios but once again the VRS-8 and how big is it compared to a Motorola Minitor 5?

HaleEMT

Premium Subscriber
Radio Strap

I know this slighty be off topic, but does anyone know if there is a radio strap available for this radio or a holster with the D-rings?

Sharkbait08

VRS-8

I am looking to replace my pager (Minitor 5) so I need stored voice and it has to be easy to use to recall stored voice.

I have heard great things about these radios but once again the VRS-8 and how big is it compared to a Motorola Minitor 5?

I just got my 454 today, and it came with the VRS-8 installed. Although I don't have the software to program it to my channels yet, I have been able to mess with the recorder module a bit using the existing programming.

If memory serves (I haven't had a monitor V in about 5 years) all you have to do on the pager was push the button and it replayed the last call that tripped the tones. The VRS-8 records any transmission it hears on the channel being monitored. So if you're scanning, it will record from any audio played through the speaker on any channel you're scanning.

It records up to 120 seconds of audio, and stores them as separate transmissions you can skip through to the one you want. So if your radio records the tones and call out info, then someone else talks on the channel (or you're scanning) you'll have both audio files. The only hiccup I could see is if you needed the call out info but were listening to others for more than 120 secs you'd lose the recording. If you push your button programmed to "REC" it'll turn the record function off, and you'll still have your call out info you can play back.

Somewhere on the forum I saw a post about the VRS-8 interfering with a speaker mic attachment on these radios. Something to consider if you're using hand mics...

In summary, its not exactly the same as the minitor's recorder but it will record your call outs. the only catch is it'll write over it if you don't stop the recorder first. Hope that helps...

Sharkbait08

Oops...

Sorry, forgot to address the size question. It is bigger than a monitor V. Dimensions: 4.3 inches tall, 2.3 wide, 1.3 deep. So taller than the pager (not including antenna either) and almost 3 times as thick. (Google search for V's dimensions: 3.5 tall x 2.4 wide x .5 deep). Is it small and similar in form size? Yes. But it is bigger than your pager and will hang farther out from your body. To me, it's not as noticible because its thinner than my normal CCW... So the extra 3/4" from the minitor may not even be apparent to you...

While it will not duplicate your V perfectly (2min rec vs 8min, auto write over, no vibrate), it does adds other options. Such as scanning other frequincies or letting you talk to the rest of your dept. Just make sure they're ok with you being able to transmit. When i was a member of my local vol FD company several years ago had policies about when we could or couldn't transmit from our POV's... (Couple of guys tried to call the trucks and tell them to delay rolling out and wait for them to get there...)

TRNcommLLC

Feed Provider
I have the vx459 with the full keypad and 18hr battery since it was released and that's all I carry.
Good sound quality and receiver sensitivity.
Dropped it into the pool once and it was still working when I got it out.
I have not had any problems with it.

If you don't need the full keypad the 454 high performance package is great for a radio under $300 with a 3 year warranty but I needed the keypad for repeater functions so the 459 it was.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.