• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex portable as a pager

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9upc

I am on two different public safety departments and each department has a different paging freq. On one department we run a total of 4 tones (3 two-tones and 1 long tone) on the other department we run 6 tones (based on station assignment for that day).

One department has the policy that once paged you turn it to position B for scan mode so the pager has to be 2 channel. The other department has one paging channel but when on duty suggests to leave it in open mode. So the pursuit for a pager with 3 channels starts and so far as I started looking at pagers that might work I see the price reaches low $400 - almost $500 in some cases.

So I once heard that some radios might be able to do what I want it to do. The specs of what I need are: VHF, 128 ch or more, signalling for two-tone with 10 call addresses, the ability to have voice storage, ability to assign either one or multiple signalling two-tones to a channel, and something that is not going to be much bigger than a Minitor 5.

The specs need to be: VHF, 128 ch or more, ability to hold 10 different signalling two-tone addresses, voice memory/storage option, and not much bigger than a Motorola Minitor 5 pager.

Now yes my departments provide pagers but to have a radio as small as a pager eliminates a LOT from my belt. So I was looking at the differnet vertex radios and I am not sure which seems to fit the bill and wondering if anyone else has any other model suggestions?

I am also looking at Icom also but I like Yaesu amateur radio and want to give Vertex a shot (as I am also a former Motorola man). Thanks in advance for the comments and input.

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
Have you ever seen Connect Systems portables? They aren't quite as small as a pager (but are just a little bigger than a pack of 100mm cigarettes) and can do paging with multiple tone set-ups. And they are very reasonably priced, with 3 year warranty. If you'd like to learn more about these, PM.me

TRNcommLLC

Feed Provider
I have been moving the Icom F50/60V's. Why buy a pager when you can have a pager and portable all in one. Plus it small like a pager.
I have sold hundreds over the past few years and everyone of them is still working in the fire service.
Link to Icom:
IC-F50V / F60V VHF / UHF transceiver - Features - Icom America

I'm a big Vertex Standard guy but the Icom F50/60V's blew me away when I got my demo in.
Also the new Firmware makes it sound like a Minitor pager alerting.

Status
Not open for further replies.