• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

eVerge DMR radios released! I can hardly contain myself. How about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
This is certainly great news as the street price on the basic models is said to be sub $300. This means DMR gear at analog prices, which will also bring down the (IMO) overpriced used market. I can't believe these morons on brokenstolenradios.com aka Ebay pay upwards of $400 for used, out of warranty questionable history DMR radios when NEW ones can be had for $500.

Heck, even Ham Radio Outlet has Vertex VXD-720 portables and VXD-7200 mobiles on their site at $499. These are nothing but re-baged XPR's. Why some stupid mouth breathers pay that much for used junk off Ebay is beyond me. Hopefully the eVerge series will bring down these inflated prices.

It certainly means more people will be going digit-ALL!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

DMR? As in HYT, TAIT, TRBO compatible? I'm trying to put the bug in locals ears about putting a DMR repeater up linked to the DMR-MARC group. If they are compatable at the US$300-400 mark this would be excellent news

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Well I know I would need a Moto repeater, BUT I *think* the subscriber equipment can be what ever you want as long as it is DMR compliant. I may be wrong though, hopefully a DMR-MARC guru can chime in with more info.

cmpsa

The VXD-720 & VXD-7200 are basically (almost) identical to Motorola MotoTRBO radios.

I read the details/specs for the new EVX-xxx radios. I'm a little confused. Is this series a different type of digital or is it the same as TRBO digital, just a new product line?

I'm just trying to understand the differences between these & the VXD-xxx product line.

rapidcharger

The VXD-720 & VXD-7200 are basically (almost) identical to Motorola MotoTRBO radios.)))
Appearance wise, yes. But that is where the similarities end.
Things mototrbo does that VXDxxx won't do include private call, encryption, roaming, transmit interrupt, connect & capacity plus trunking.

(((I read the details/specs for the new EVX-xxx radios. I'm a little confused. Is this series a different type of digital or is it the same as TRBO digital, just a new product line?)))
It's still DMR, just with a new product line and spiffy new brand name.

(((I'm just trying to understand the differences between these & the VXD-xxx product line.)))
The feature set compared to the VXD-720 is probably very similar. It looks like they do encryption now. And they're less expensive. But compared to TRBO there are things it just won't do.

kd5ppb

From what that was said on the webinar they did before releasing them, it looks like they will do everything the VXD-720/7200 will do. They will "play" with TRBO but are NOT 100% compatible as stated above - some features will not work. They WILL NOT have the ability to do capacity plus, that's an option I ran into once before with a customer.

rapidcharger

From what that was said on the webinar they did before releasing them, it looks like they will do everything the VXD-720/7200 will do. They will "play" with TRBO but are NOT 100% compatible as stated above - some features will not work. They WILL NOT have the ability to do capacity plus, that's an option I ran into once before with a customer.

How about IP connect because that's a big thing for ham use, to use on the DMR network.

W2NJS

eVerge (Vertex) DMR radios

Press release (PDF)

Has anyone used any? What do you think?

I hear the evx531 is out but the display models and the mobiles are due out 2nd quarter.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The site given above doesn't work, at least for me it doesn't.
Here is the Vertex site for these DMR units;

Vertex Standard | EVX-530

kd5ppb

How about IP connect because that's a big thing for ham use, to use on the DMR network.

I just downloaded the software for the EVX-530 and I DO NOT see the settings for the IP... I'm not saying it's not there just I cannot see it like I can for the VXD-720.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager

IP Connect is not relevant for DMR-MARC use.

In a commercial system, IP Connect allows you to roam among sites carrying the same talkgroups. Unless your ham sites are close enough together that you'd be roaming between them, it doesn't make a difference.

W2NJS

All you need from a TRBO HT or mobile radio to get onto the DMR net are the slot, color code, and system ID number. With that information coming out of your radio into the DMR repeater you'll be on the net, assuming the repeater owner has made the IP connection from his site. All of the other possible TRBO features are not used for the DMR net.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
All you need from a TRBO HT or mobile radio to get onto the DMR net are the slot, color code, and system ID number.

There is no system ID. There's a network ID in TRBO but that's only used in Connect Plus.

You'll need frequencies, colour code, timeslots and group ID's.

bearcat780

eVerge EVX-531

does anyone here have one of these? if so, how are you programming it? I have the correct software but am trying to use my serial cable for my vx-454, and after changing various port settings on Windows 7 I have read errors. will i need a usb version? VS tech support says I must have the FIF-12 (but tech docs say the same regarding the vx-454, but programs fine with the serial cable)

Status
Not open for further replies.