• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex vx3000v

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka8mnp

Need help programming a VX3000v.

It was given to me out of a trash bin along with programming software. I bought a programming cable and have been ale to access the program. I cloned all the original stuff from the radio to the computer and made the changes I needed. Frequency, tones etc. Something is still not right though. The radio will receive but the squelch has to be manually opened by pushing the monitor button.Not sure how well it transmits because i want to be sure I can hear any replies before I try to transmit.

Also, I'm not sure how to change the front panel display. Even though the frequencies are changed it still indicates the original channel names. Just hoping someone may have had a similar project and can give some input to help me along.

Thanks a bunch for any help.

KA8MNP - Randall

PACNWDude

Are the frequencies programmed into the radio narrow-band? There were issues with 2200 and 4200 variants due to filters that were out of tolerance from the factory. This would cause receive signal to be a lot lower in narrow-band than wide-band. You could set them for wide and see if you no longer need to open squelch with the monitor button.

The front panel display for channel should be able to be changed in the programming software. Will it let you edit names when you program frequencies? (And change from wide to narrow band.)

ka8mnp

I don't know. First chance I get I'll open the program up again and check it, hopefully this evening when I get home. Not too familiar with the software being used. I didn't see a way to change from narrow band to wide but I'm sure it must be there. Also didn't see anything that would let me change the display. The display indicates busy even when it isn't receiving a signal.

I'm not really sure the radio is functioning properly at this point. After all they were throwing it away. It did turn on and light up. Thanks for your reply. Once I work on it some more I may have more questions if
that's OK. Sure wish they'd have thrown away a user's manual for the radio and software.

ka8mnp

Just a quick update. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can give me some input.

Tried to connect to the computer this morning and no luck. Program opened up fine and allowed me to switch com ports but the radio wouldn't go into clone mode.

I then switched over to the CHIRP software just to see what would happen when I selected Vertex Standard and I think it was VX-7 the radio immediately went into clone mode of course the software didn't match so that's as far as I could go.

I did try the radio on the air and it receives fine except I have to manually open the squelch with the Monitor button. When I attempted to transmit the signal from the VX3000v opened the squelch on the repeater but only a harsh buzzing sound was heard by the station I was talking with.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Once I work on it some more I may have more questions if
that's OK. Sure wish they'd have thrown away a user's manual for the radio and software.

It sounds to me that you might have tone squelch set for receive (this is commonly done in commercial service). Check the software and make sure that the tone squelch is set to OFF for all receive frequencies that do not require it. You might also have to set the level of the carrier squelch somewhere in the software or on the radio itself (this might account for the display always showing "busy").

If I recall correctly, the VX3000 is capable of certain selective call functions, such as DTMF or 2-tone decode (like a pager). If any of these are set in the software, you'll never hear anything until the correct type of address is received.

Also, chances are very good that you can find a users guide and/or a software manual on-line. There should also be Help files embedded in the programming software itself. If all else fails, I'd try a full factory reset and then start over from scratch. This would eliminate any missed or hidden settings that might be tripping you up.

Good luck.

-John

ka8mnp

Thanks much John.

Pretty sure that I left the receive squelch settings open. I'll double check. The carrier squelch will likely be the likely culprit. I'm having problems getting the radio to connect to the software. Sure wish CHIRP could do it. A little more familiar with that one.

A full factory reset is a great idea. That might open up a lot of things. Not quite sure how to accomplish that. I'll keep trying. I haven't had any luck with getting any sort of documentation on line. I sure don't want to invest a lot of money in it because it may end up costing more to fix than what I could buy a new two meter radio for.

PACNWDude

Once Motorola picked up Vertex they changed some of their software. The correct version of CE52 is needed, the newer the programming is on the radio.

Older radios could be changed a little easier. When you look at the programming software, you may see "CSQ" or "PTT".

The tone squelch mentioned above would be something like 67.0 or 103.5. Newer software "toggles" through functions by clicking on each space. Pressing the space bar also works.

ka8mnp

Thanks. Sorry for delayed response but I have been out of town.

I'm too tired to night to work with it but in the morning I'll take another look at it. Probably, as you say I need different software. There is a section I can't get to open up. I think it says hardware. It opens but none of the settings are high lighted. Thus I can't click on them.

I double checked and all the receive squelch settings are open. I'll post what I find in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.