RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Vertex Standard

Vertex Standard - Discussions regarding Vertex Standard professional and public safety radio equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 7:09 PM

Default VX-900 software

I have made the mistake of purchasing software from eBay for my VX-900 and it is no good at all.
I tried to call vertex for software and they said they donít have SW for that radio anymore.
Where can I get a good, legit copy to program my radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2017, 8:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

CE39 is what's needed. I have it installed, but I no longer have the install file. I dug around and found the following notes I've collected on field programming. Maybe it will let you do what's needed...use at your own risk!

VX-900 Field programming
Yes, there is a way to do field programming. You need to short pins 3 and 7 of the external mic connector, then hold down the lamp and PTT button while powering the radio on. You will see "FIELD" in the display. (The "lamp" button is the bottom button below PTT.) Pins 3 and 7 are the 2nd and 4th pin down on the left side as you are looking into the connector on the side of the radio.

Then using the channel knob, select the function you want to program, and using the top and side Set buttons change the entries. For frequency, use the toggle switch to select MHz, tenths, hundredths and the top/side set buttons to change the applicable item. (The side "set" button is the top button above the PTT, and the top "set" button is the orange button.) After changing an entry, turn the channel knob to another position to "enter" the change. Power the radio off and back on to go back to normal operating mode.

With 512 channels, I really didn't need the ability to change frequency all that much, but being able to change/set tones in the field is significant for me. I wish that Vertex had made that a "user" accessible function.

The Radio Information Board - Index page

Dealer mode
Anyhow, I was looking for a way to get into those greyed-out dropdown menus in the VX900 software, which would allow you to change squelch hysteresis, squelch attack time, squelch release time, etc. What I ended up doing was running CE39Win.exe with every single switch possible (-a,-b,-c,-d…) until the menu items became ungreyed. Well, they never came ungreyed, but with the switch “-m”, a password dialog popped up. I tried “password” and the program started up, but the boxes were still greyed out. So, it turns out, “password” was not the password. So, after a little bit of resourceful hacking, I was able to find the password, which is “ansho-bango” (no quotes).
Old 12-02-2017, 2:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I located the CE39 install set at:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tlmrozquu...uBstzzrxa?dl=0
Old 12-03-2017, 6:19 PM

This is the error I keep getting and a download error so I am giving up on this radio and selling it as I can not program it which is extremely frustrating.
Iíve tried everything I could think of on 2 different dell laptops and can not read or write to this radio. Very disappointing

Old 12-03-2017, 6:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I see the firmware is v1.0. If you want to try one more thing, I've got the latest firmware available at:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/swa1h5dtv...MBUU4Ej5a?dl=0
Maybe that will fix the issue you're seeing. I think you just need to run the exe while the radio is connected.
Old 12-07-2017, 3:59 PM

After days of trying on 2 different windows 10 pcís, I can not read the radio at all. Iíve tried just about everything from comparability issues to slowing the port to 1200 and everything in between.
I am getting rid of this radio as it has been a terrible experience attempting to program it.