STARS Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Ft. Lewis Mountain, Div 6 Salem, site 218, 152.5475 mhz. (Primary CC) has been operational for about 3 months now but the RR STARS database still does not list it. Site frequencies previously have been discussed in a separate thread.

Have you submitted the data to the database or run Pro96com for more information?

gcgrotz

RE: Merry Mountain, I've never heard it called that, just Orange. It is visible from Rt 15 a few miles south of Orange on the west side of 15, up on a little ridge. I guess it is a Culpeper Div site.

Also, not sure if anyone has posted a CC for Bearden yet, but it is physically there, on the existing tower with 159.135 although in a new building.

But that sure is a cool map, it shows what kind of investment has gone into STARS.

Last edited:

jehm1212

Does anyone know if they are going to put up a stars site in bristol,va?

I'm sure that eventually there will be one in or around Bristol. But, Division IV will be the last to make the switch to STARS, so it may take a few years. Right now, only three divisions are using the STARS (Richmond, Culpeper, and Chesapeake).

W4UVV

4 STARS Divisions

I'm sure that eventually there will be one in or around Bristol. But, Division IV will be the last to make the switch to STARS, so it may take a few years. Right now, only three divisions are using the STARS (Richmond, Culpeper, and Chesapeake).

Ft. Lewis Mtn., Div 6, Salem has been operational for several months.

Nitsud

Not sure where you heard that div 6 will be a few years down the road, because I've heard from creadible people that all of stars will be online the last week of December this year!

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
Once again, I appreciate the map. I just went on a trip from Portsmouth to Pennsylvania. I loaded the STARS map into my Sprint HTC Evo 4G using the Google Map App. And had it tracking my location while showing the closest Site as a map overlay. So once I got near a Site, I would turn that one on in my radio and continue monitoring state police. I was able to pick up, Division 5, Division 1, Division 4, Division 7, along I-95 at one time or another.

gcgrotz

I was just doing a little snooping around the FCC database and happened upon that one. "Merry Mountain" was my best guess, as that is the name that popped on Google. I've changed it to "Orange."

Well, it could be. I've learned that there are so many names for places around here it would be hard to know even a part of them unless you lived right there.

Looking at other discussions on here it could be the site the VSP refers to as Gordonsville.

That would be a good question, is there a Gordonsville site AND an Orange site, or are they the same. Maybe nitsud can figure that out for us...

BTW, I'm monitoring 161.925 here in C'ville on a non-P25 scanner and it comes up digital from time to time like it is being used for voice. It is full scale on the S-meter, which would not be the case if it came from that site since the Southwest Mtns block stuff from that area.

Last edited:

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Well, it could be. I've learned that there are so many names for places around here it would be hard to know even a part of them unless you lived right there.

Looking at other discussions on here it could be the site the VSP refers to as Gordonsville.

That would be a good question, is there a Gordonsville site AND an Orange site, or are they the same. Maybe nitsud can figure that out for us...

BTW, I'm monitoring 161.925 here in C'ville on a non-P25 scanner and it comes up digital from time to time like it is being used for voice. It is full scale on the S-meter, which would not be the case if it came from that site since the Southwest Mtns block stuff from that area.

I think there's supposed to be a site at Bucks Elbow. Would that be more logical?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

gcgrotz

The last I knew, there is not a VSP site at Buck's Elbow. There is a site for Albemarle/C'ville TRS there, US Cellular, and ham repeater (146.895) on one tower. There is a big FAA site, and an old AT&T site now owned by American Tower. I think Nextel is on it.

The VSP site at Bear Den is a few miles south of Buck's and on most clear days is visible from there, There is not another VSP site north until Fork Mtn in Madison.

I was up on Rt 15 between Orange and G'ville the other day but it was too rainy to get a photo of that site. It is very visible from the southbound side.

Status
Not open for further replies.