Best Antenna for VSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I have not used the antenna. However, from what I've repeatedly read, the majority of users seemed to like both the UHF and 800 MHz Phantoms, but were not that thrilled with the VHF models. I believe it basically came down to the fact that there would be more of a performance compromise in the VHF range in order to achieve the lower profile. Again, that is based on what I've read, and not my own experience, so I would have to defer to those that have one.

gcgrotz

Unless you are going for stealth, I would get a 5/8 wave, which has a coil at the bottom. Looks very much like a cb antenna. Larsen makes good stuff and they are rugged but any commercial type antenna should be ok. Use the cutting chart and go for 155 MHz. Put it on the roof and you will be getting all you can get in a mobile install.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
I've been using this Comtelco antenna for many years in two different mobile applications, and have been pretty pleased with it. I've used 1/4 wave and 5/8 wave antennas in the past, and to me, this antenna is a good compromise between the two. Strong performer without being terribly big.

I also suggested it to a friend who's using it mobile on a Tahoe, and he seems very pleased with it. I've found it to be pretty strong on all of the bands - it might be a bit strongest on VHF. Of course, with VSP going to STARS, your interest in VHF might not be all that high.

BoxAlarm187

Premium Subscriber
Not sure I understand your statement?:confused: STARS is on VHF, same as the conventional, so your antenna recommendation would still be appropriate.

Wow, I have no defensive for my completely-off base post earlier. You're exactly right, STARS is VHF, and I knew this. Pardon me as I slip back into the shadows...

gcgrotz

Wow, I have no defensive for my completely-off base post earlier. You're exactly right, STARS is VHF, and I knew this. Pardon me as I slip back into the shadows...

Maybe it is because of all that 800 MHz RF in Richmond re-programming your brain cells????

Last edited:

Nitsud

Unless you are going for stealth, I would get a 5/8 wave, which has a coil at the bottom. Looks very much like a cb antenna. Larsen makes good stuff and they are rugged but any commercial type antenna should be ok. Use the cutting chart and go for 155 MHz. Put it on the roof and you will be getting all you can get in a mobile install.

Hello George!

I agree with most of what you said, but instead of a 5/8, I would go with a 1/4 wave. I would give you the techinical reasons to do so but Im in a hurry so heres my reasoning: When division 2 switched from legacy to stars, every mobile install had to take the 5/8 off the roof (main radio feed), and replace it with the 1/4 wave..nuff said :)

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Hello George!

I agree with most of what you said, but instead of a 5/8, I would go with a 1/4 wave. I would give you the techinical reasons to do so but Im in a hurry so heres my reasoning: When division 2 switched from legacy to stars, every mobile install had to take the 5/8 off the roof (main radio feed), and replace it with the 1/4 wave..nuff said :)

Ok, I'll ask - if I am monitoring STARS in my truck, what difference does it make to me what size antenna that the VSP patrol cars have mounted on them? If they are using 1/4 and working through a repeater, what difference would I notice in switching between a 5/8 or a 1/4 antenna on my truck? Not being a smarta$$, but am genuinely curious.

mrdelia

Thanks

Thanks for the good info. I think I will probably go with a 1/4 wave to get a lower profile. I'll be using it for a dedicated scanner for VSP. I'll use another scanner for all the local stuff, I already have an Austin Spectra Mobile Antenna for that.

I have been doing some research and I think I'll go with the Laird B1360W. It's a VHF wideband (136-174) with a center frequency of 155, and its only 19.5". I'm listening to DIV 5. Relatively flat terrain, (in Southern Hampton Roads anyway.)

http://www.lairdtech.com/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=5078

I'm putting it on a Dodge Charger and don't really like the idea of putting a 50" or so whip on it. (Don't worry the Charger is Red not Grey)

I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms, but, Any reason why I shouldn't use this antenna?

Thanks for all the info...

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the good info. I think I will probably go with a 1/4 wave to get a lower profile. I'll be using it for a dedicated scanner for VSP. I'll use another scanner for all the local stuff, I already have an Austin Spectra Mobile Antenna for that.

I have been doing some research and I think I'll go with the Laird B1360W. It's a VHF wideband (136-174) with a center frequency of 155, and its only 19.5". I'm listening to DIV 5. Relatively flat terrain, (in Southern Hampton Roads anyway.)

http://www.lairdtech.com/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=5078

I'm putting it on a Dodge Charger and don't really like the idea of putting a 50" or so whip on it. (Don't worry the Charger is Red not Grey)

I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms, but, Any reason why I shouldn't use this antenna?

Thanks for all the info...

If you're target is predominantly STARS, then I see no reason not to use that one since it is specifically for VHF. Good luck.

BoxAlarm187

Premium Subscriber

I just bought a gray Charger Monday, what are you saying? :D

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I have two antennas on my vehicle. One is an Austin Spectra and the other is an on-glass mounted scanner antenna (cell look alike). I know the glass mounts do not get as good reception as, say an NMO that is tuned for a specific band, but I have had good luck in the years past w/ the glass mounts. That is until STARS.

The Austin Spectra and another antenna I've used in the past (dual band for 150/460) are much better than the glass mount for STARS. Funny thing is I have not noticed much difference on the analog frequencies... difference seems to be on digital channels.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.