RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

Virginia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Virginia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 6:57 PM

could someone enlighten me on what or where to find the new hanover frequencies and what steps to put them back in a pro96. i have been messing with different trunk modes , but i just cant seem to make it work. thanks
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2010, 1:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4UVV View Post
First a question. If Hanover Co. has switched to 100% to P25 why now am I receiving talkgroups 04-021 and 02-104 i.e., "Back in the county" on their EDACS system?

I am located in Prince George using a 996XT and have tower mounted mast mounted preamped mostly Scantennas. The EDACS CC is 4 of 5 bars signal strength and the P25 CC is 5 bars.

After making your recommended menu changes I still am experiencing choppy audio. I tried different value entries up to "99". I left it on "83" and "400ms" P25 wait time. The audio appears about 90% chop free here but not optimized. Additionally I tried changing P25 Wait times with no improvement only making reception worse. Using NFM or FM mode made no difference. I am 20+ air miles from Hanover and do not have a multi-path distortion signal issue.

This audio chopping reminds me of the same reception problem when the Hopewell trs first became operational. At that time I was using a 796D scanner. Part of resolution was manually adjusting the P25 decode threshold level. In part that is what we are trying to do here. Currently my 996XT is set to "Auto". I want to be able to manually adjust it as shown in the Wiki table for "Setting the P25 Decode Level for the BCD396T and BCD996T". The 996XT dynamic table values display a range from "7-13". Unless I am misunderstanding something this setting should be changeable by the user. I can access the dynamic screen table display by pressing "FUNC" and the "Volume" control but I cannot remember what the required user entry for this hidden menu is to enter the "Manual" mode for selecting another value. Pressing the Func control twice does not work on the 996XT to access the "Manual" mode. The default settings are "8" and "Auto". With my 796D and 996T I found "7" and "Manual" to be better settings. These adjustments also were in hidden menus. The Butel ARC996T software had a user option to select "Manual" and change to a different value setting but the Butel ARC996XT software does not have this option. If anyone knows the keyboard entry(s) to access the "Manual" adjustment mode please post it.

The Sheriff's Office dispatch talkgroup chops worse than the Fire Dept. here.
Three things...

If you are 100% sure you do not have a multi-path distortion signal issue then dont bother messing with the NFM / FM setting that part wont matter. (And please don't argue with my that this setting shouldnt matter because of how Uniden built the scacnner - it does indeed seem to work for those experiencing multi-path issues.)

If you are not having a multi-path issue you will just have to adjust the p25 settings anywhere from 50-200 until you find what you like. If you are having multi-path issues, only use the settings I suggested.

The XT models don't have the same menu or settings as the T models. Essentially you cannot manually adjust and XT model as shown in the Wiki table for "Setting the P25 Decode Level for the BCD396T and BCD996T". The only settings you have are the ones I described.

Other than this - I cannot help.

Also, I cannot help for GRE or RS models - I don't own one of those. Perhaps someone with those models (can experiment with similar tweaks and tell people how to do the same thing I am doing on the Unidens.)
Old 09-02-2010, 2:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Unhappy Common "Pure" APCO P25 trs characteristic

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5corvette View Post
Three things...

If you are 100% sure you do not have a multi-path distortion signal issue then dont bother messing with the NFM / FM setting that part wont matter. (And please don't argue with my that this setting shouldnt matter because of how Uniden built the scacnner - it does indeed seem to work for those experiencing multi-path issues.)

If you are not having a multi-path issue you will just have to adjust the p25 settings anywhere from 50-200 until you find what you like. If you are having multi-path issues, only use the settings I suggested.

The XT models don't have the same menu or settings as the T models. Essentially you cannot manually adjust and XT model as shown in the Wiki table for "Setting the P25 Decode Level for the BCD396T and BCD996T". The only settings you have are the ones I described.

Other than this - I cannot help.

Also, I cannot help for GRE or RS models - I don't own one of those. Perhaps someone with those models (can experiment with similar tweaks and tell people how to do the same thing I am doing on the Unidens.)
I am beginning to suspect that chopped audio is common characteristic of "pure" APCO P25 trs signals regardless of scanner model. I'll try again but the 996XT threshold adjust levels range only from 50 to 99.
Tnx.
Old 09-04-2010, 3:16 PM

Red face someone to program my Bcd 396xt

Anyone live in Hanover Co, Va that could program my Bcd396xt and maybe show me how to use it. I am not smart at all when it comes to electronics. Please......

Thanks Tracy.
ki4shj
tnrbrooks@comcast.net
Old 09-04-2010, 8:31 PM

Question programming help

I am in the same boat tracy, i cannot get my pro 96 to program correct for the new hanover stuff and i am sending out an s.o.s. to anyone the hanover area who can contact me and provide me some quality mentoring. Tractoriden1@aol.com
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2010, 3:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Unhappy Bogus trs frequency

The RR database shows "851.00625" mhz. is one of the trs frequencies. That is a bogus frequency. I do not know the correct frequency but my guess it should be "851.0625".
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 PM

I'm getting an xt in a few days and I'm in Hanover. Let you know what I figure out.
Old 03-02-2011, 2:27 PM

Just got it today, Right out of the package and uploaded Hanover in a matter of 15 minutes. Sounds fine to me.
Old 03-03-2011, 4:31 AM

If I stay put in my house, my results a normally very good. It's when mobile that I have the most issues.
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2011, 2:12 PM

I don't have that problem at all. Once in a while dispatch on 1 will be a little choppy. I saw the tweak posted on page one of this thread but can't figure how to get there. I bought this antenna because I think the one that comes with the radio is a tad too long. http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...5/P1040145.jpg

I guess also I can't set emergency alerts on Hanover SD or Stars VSP because it doesn't come up in the menu like Henrico, Richmond and Ches.menus do.
Old 03-07-2011, 2:21 PM

Received the antenna today. It's better than the factory antenna. No more choppy on dispatch as I occasionally had.
Old 03-08-2011, 6:25 PM

I might have to check out that antenna.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 AM

jehm, did you say what it was and I missed it? I have similar problems with choppy audio caused by multi-site simulcast. It sure is a good looking antenna!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Anyone know what talkgroup 2351 is used for? It falls in the schools range. It was active yesterday evening after-hours, so maybe school security?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-21-2011, 3:53 PM

However, this antenna does not do well on Stars riding down the road. Stationary it's fine.
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2011, 8:20 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 158.76 P25 Link

I noticed yesterday that Hanover is using 158.76 as a P25 Link for their FD/EMS and it certainly sounds better with their tones!! Might be a test so I will keep watching.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM

for years 158.76 was the freq for the fire pagers used for station alerting and volunteers. are you saying they've converted it to P25? or is it just a simulcast of dispatch that sounds P25-esk because of a patch?