Chesapeake Police Rebanding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogress

Does anyone know about the status of Chesapeake Police rebanding? I'm assuming it hasn't occurred yet because they still operate in 866Mhz.

FJB2022

Premium Subscriber
First phase is complete. Not sure if there's a date for the city to do the final steps at all the sites, could be a while from now.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Chesapeake

My dad said they are doing the final steps now he is on there SWAT team. I dont know any other info beside that like what the new freqs will be

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just knock off 15 mhz from the current frequencies, and you should find them there...best regards..Mike

FJB2022

Premium Subscriber
My dad said they are doing the final steps now he is on there SWAT team. I dont know any other info beside that like what the new freqs will be

Dropping down 15 Mhz at all the sites is the second step which takes time, next step would be to reprogram and remove all the old control channels in their radio.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

rogress

I had only asked because recently it seemed like I was experiencing a decrease in signal strength, and it seems like I sometimes think I'm on PD East, but hear traffic from one of the other talk groups. (all my digital scanners seem to experience the same thing). Doesn't happen very often.

Chesapeake Fire has always been a weak signal (south Centerville Trnpk area), but PD East and West aren't that strong anymore either.

May be my imagination - I thought maybe that they had been tinkering around as they prepare to reband.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There could be a great many reasons why the signal is weaker in your location. Something in your antenna system may need some attention (water in the coax, for example). You didn't say anything about what radios you use, but it doesn't matter - if you got a new cell site nearby, that could cause some issues with desensing, depending on how close you are. Did you accidentally turn on your attenuator (been there, done that...)? Perhaps they are having some problems in the system...

Too many possibilities....best regards..Mike

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I'm still decoding 99% on Chesapeake at Chuckatuck Creek bridge off US-17.

Mike, thanks for above reply on Unidens. I sold my only Uniden (785D) more then two years ago. However, that scanner isn't able to reband anyway.

rogress

I'll probably carry this somewhere else since I'm hijacking my own thread, but there is a cell site 1500 feet away - not new, but they are always adding antennas.

First noticed something changing when the Pro-96 I use for the feed started hanging on talkgroups when scanning - as if there was interference (audibly, it was hard to tell). Pressing Scan got it going again. I thought use of the ATT button fixed it, but it really didn't.

Then I dug out my Pro-106, which I hadn't used in a while, and noticed two things. 1) location of the scanner in my house was much more critical that I remembered from the past (i.e., if I just randomly put it in one spot, I may hear nothing from Chesapeake Police and Fire). What seemed to help, was using the ATT button, but that wasn't consistent, because sometimes I think I was attenuating too much and losing the signal. (fyi, the Pro-106 works better than my Pro-96 so I had to switch the feed to that).

Experiencing pretty much the same with my Pro-197.

As you stated, too many variables, so I'll just work through it, but I am suspicious of that cell site. Maybe when the rebanding is complete, things will get better.

There could be a great many reasons why the signal is weaker in your location. Something in your antenna system may need some attention (water in the coax, for example). You didn't say anything about what radios you use, but it doesn't matter - if you got a new cell site nearby, that could cause some issues with desensing, depending on how close you are. Did you accidentally turn on your attenuator (been there, done that...)? Perhaps they are having some problems in the system...

Too many possibilities....best regards..Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In your case, it's unlikely rebanding would help you. At that distance, simply the sheer amount of RF coming from that tower is swamping you. The fact that the attenuation button seemed to help (albeit only sometimes), and that it was more critical where the scanner was in your home, strongly suggests this.

It's more likely to help if you were to use a directional array pointed away from that tower...best regards..Mike

mikext

Chesapeake

I'm having issues with my PRO-96 and 106 on the Chesapeake system, I am getting police and sheriff talkgroups while monitoring only fire this just started happening over the last couple of months. I have also tried Att without success. Help?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
On 96 check active sub-bank(s) or open mode.
On 106 check scanlist(s). Or is a Wildcard in a list selected for scanning?

KJ4BGI

There is a problem with one of the Chesapeake digital repeaters. It is always transmitting a open carrier with or without a digital signal. If a fire talkgroup ends up on this repeater, the GRE/Radio Shack scanners will hang on this frequency and start receiving what ever talkgroup appears on this frequency. The only way to resume scanning is to press the scan button on the scanner.

Not sure if this affects all of Chesapeake's sites but it is happening at the Greenbrier site. It only affects scanners and even though I attempted to report the problem some time ago to the city. It is still an ongoing issue.

rogress

That does explain some of the problems I've been having (seems like more of a problem with my Pro-96 for whatever reason). It would intermittently not continue scanning after receiving a transmission, and I thought I could hear an open carrier, but was never sure. I could press Scan to get it going again, but it would eventually hang again. A different talk group would also pop in sometimes - but I thought my scanner was going wacky....or that some re-banding work was screwing things up.

You just described exactly what I've been experiencing, so I think you've explained it.

There is a problem with one of the Chesapeake digital repeaters. It is always transmitting a open carrier with or without a digital signal. If a fire talkgroup ends up on this repeater, the GRE/Radio Shack scanners will hang on this frequency and start receiving what ever talkgroup appears on this frequency. The only way to resume scanning is to press the scan button on the scanner.

Not sure if this affects all of Chesapeake's sites but it is happening at the Greenbrier site. It only affects scanners and even though I attempted to report the problem some time ago to the city. It is still an ongoing issue.

mikext

The 96 is in the closed mode and their aren't any wildcards in the 106. I seem to be having this issue in Western Branch.

Eugene

I have been noticing the "open carrier" problem as well on my mobile Uniden 996T. It has been mostly random and actually sounds like an analog carrier signal. Pressing scan takes care of it until it locks up again. Glad (figure of speech) to see it is not just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.