RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

Virginia Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Virginia.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 8:10 AM
freqhopping's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lo Co VA/ FM19
Posts: 4,669
Default

Just heard the same two users on TG 2854. Apparently the Bull Run site is down (loss of power) and one of them will be heading up there.

And FYI for everyone, Loudoun will be upgrading to actual Phase II in January.
__________________
Spinning & Grinning
Alinco DJ-X11 - BC890XLT - 436HP - BCD396XT - BCD996T- PSR-800 - Pro-106 - MilTenna LP in the attic.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
                 
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM
freqhopping's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lo Co VA/ FM19
Posts: 4,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue674aa View Post
If you look it says T for TDMA capability but that doesn't mean it is TDMA
Stupid and misleading is what having the database like that is. There are no TDMA or FDMA talkgroups, because really they are both. What mode they are in depends on what type of radios are being used on a talkgroup.



1241- TG 2854 has got to be radio techs. They're still talking about fixing the Bull Run site, seems like it's been fixed.
__________________
Spinning & Grinning
Alinco DJ-X11 - BC890XLT - 436HP - BCD396XT - BCD996T- PSR-800 - Pro-106 - MilTenna LP in the attic.

Last edited by freqhopping; 10-30-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 201
Default

The system is TDMA-capable. All of the talkgroups - to our knowledge at least - have the ability to run either with TDMA or FDMA. This means that if all of the radios affiliated with a talkgroup are capable of TDMA, the talkgroup will be assigned to a TDMA channel when it is used. If a non-TDMA radio affiliates with the talkgroup, then that talkgroup will be assigned to an FDMA channel until all of the radios on that talkgroup are once again TDMA-capable.

Some talkgroups are almost always FDMA - Fire and Rescue Dispatch 6A is one of those. Others - like Leesburg Police - are almost always TDMA (though I will admit that last night while Sandy was running amok, I did notice that Leesburg PD was FDMA; maybe they pulled some older portable radios out last night?).
__________________
Daily Use: GRE PSR-800, PSR-500
NOAA Weather Radio KHB-36 feed: RS Pro-2052
Other scanners: Uniden BC250D
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freqhopping View Post
And FYI for everyone, Loudoun will be upgrading to actual Phase II in January.
Off-topic (since this topic is about talkgroups), but I'll just say that I'll believe it when I see (hear) it. I've heard at least 4 dates throughout this year, and it hasn't happened yet.

Maybe there's a scanner enthusiast running their system, making sure we can still hear everything (and now that there's a Phase 2 upgrade for the 800, we can)... but I'll be that skeptical person until it actually happens.
__________________
Daily Use: GRE PSR-800, PSR-500
NOAA Weather Radio KHB-36 feed: RS Pro-2052
Other scanners: Uniden BC250D
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2012, 7:34 PM
loco-lee's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL, VA, and NYC
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freqhopping View Post
Stupid and misleading is what having the database like that is. There are no TDMA or FDMA talkgroups, because really they are both. What mode they are in depends on what type of radios are being used on a talkgroup.
Not true; there can be TDMA only TGs. (I am not saying the DB is not being used correctly.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev View Post
The system is TDMA-capable. All of the talkgroups - to our knowledge at least - have the ability to run either with TDMA or FDMA. This means that if all of the radios affiliated with a talkgroup are capable of TDMA, the talkgroup will be assigned to a TDMA channel when it is used. If a non-TDMA radio affiliates with the talkgroup, then that talkgroup will be assigned to an FDMA channel until all of the radios on that talkgroup are once again TDMA-capable.
All talkgroups do not have this capability. Talkgroups can be restricted to TDMA only, whereas an FDMA radio would not be able to use that TG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev View Post
Some talkgroups are almost always FDMA - Fire and Rescue Dispatch 6A is one of those.
It may appear to be FDMA all the time becasue neighboring jurisdictions are always monitoring it with an FDMA radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev View Post
Others - like Leesburg Police - are almost always TDMA (though I will admit that last night while Sandy was running amok, I did notice that Leesburg PD was FDMA; maybe they pulled some older portable radios out last night?).
I doubt during an emergency (like Hurricane Sandy), which generates additional traffic on a radio system, that anyone would load up a TDMA system with FDMA radios. Doing so would essentially diminish the purpose of TDMA, which is capacity.
__________________
News Director
THE RAIL CHANNEL

Last edited by loco-lee; 10-30-2012 at 7:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
                          
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2012, 4:27 PM
freqhopping's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lo Co VA/ FM19
Posts: 4,669
Default

Today Pro96Com logged a bunch of new TGs. 2931 through 2939. All but 2937 and 2939 had encryption. 1145001 as last on 2931 and 1115008 as last on 2939 seem to be the only radios involved. I've logged other radios in that range before but usually on FD channels.

On 11/19 I logged TG 4101 with RID 3270010.
__________________
Spinning & Grinning
Alinco DJ-X11 - BC890XLT - 436HP - BCD396XT - BCD996T- PSR-800 - Pro-106 - MilTenna LP in the attic.
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2012, 1:46 AM
mike_s104's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Berkeley Co. WV/ Loudoun Co. VA
Posts: 4,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freqhopping View Post
Today Pro96Com logged a bunch of new TGs. 2931 through 2939. All but 2937 and 2939 had encryption. 1145001 as last on 2931 and 1115008 as last on 2939 seem to be the only radios involved. I've logged other radios in that range before but usually on FD channels.

On 11/19 I logged TG 4101 with RID 3270010.
I've seen the 4xxx TGs show up in the past. I think they were radio techs. If I remember correctly it was the day before they rebanded.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2012, 9:51 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 201
Default

Dug through my Pro96Com talkgroups file this evening... here's a few that are unidentified that have shown some traffic recently, along with the date of last transmission on the TG. Keep in mind that the first seen dates are for my logs, and hits may not be representative of how much they've actually been used this year (there were times early in the year that I didn't keep a continuous watch on the system).

None of these have had any encrypted traffic observed on them...
2881 - 12/7/2012 (first seen 1/24/12, 21 hits)
2884 - 12/4/2012 (first seen 1/24/12, 57 hits)
2903 - 12/3/2012 (first seen 1/24.12, 1097 hits)
2904 - 12/6/2012 (first seen 2/4/12, 113 hits)
2905 - 12/4/2012 (first seen 1/24/12, 111 hits)
2916 - 12/6/2012 (first seen 2/1/12, 6 hits)

Also, as reported, a block of TGs from 2931-2939 appeared on 11/26/12... all but 2937 and 2939 show presence of encrypted traffic. Most have only one hit, one has two, one has four.

4xxx TG's run from 4090 to 4101... Saw all of them appear for the first time for me on 1/25/12. Very low usage TGs.

Also, two TGs in the 5000 range appeared on 10/29/12... 5376 and 5377... 1 and 3 hits respectively, not encrypted.
__________________
Daily Use: GRE PSR-800, PSR-500
NOAA Weather Radio KHB-36 feed: RS Pro-2052
Other scanners: Uniden BC250D

Last edited by mikev; 12-07-2012 at 9:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2012, 3:58 PM
freqhopping's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lo Co VA/ FM19
Posts: 4,669
Default

Anybody know who is using the RIDs in the 250#### range? I would imagine Prince William FD since I know the RID ranges for other surrounding counties. I've just never been listening when these RIDs were active.

Also 310#### and 313####. These have occurred on FD and LCSO channels.
__________________
Spinning & Grinning
Alinco DJ-X11 - BC890XLT - 436HP - BCD396XT - BCD996T- PSR-800 - Pro-106 - MilTenna LP in the attic.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
                          
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2015, 5:21 PM
freqhopping's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lo Co VA/ FM19
Posts: 4,669
Default

There's been some weird stuff on the Loudoun system lately. Just now I was hearing some DTMF on TG2955.


In the past month or so:
I've heard 6A simulcasting on 2951 and other FD comms on 2956.

Someone keyed up on 2930, I think it was a Purcellville unit.

All the dispatch RIDs for LCSO and FD have changed.
__________________
Spinning & Grinning
Alinco DJ-X11 - BC890XLT - 436HP - BCD396XT - BCD996T- PSR-800 - Pro-106 - MilTenna LP in the attic.
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2015, 4:00 AM
troymail's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Anne Arundel County, MD.
Posts: 5,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freqhopping View Post
There's been some weird stuff on the Loudoun system lately. Just now I was hearing some DTMF on TG2955.
I was hearing some similar things last night on the JNCR system -- I think it was on the Bethesda talkgroups. They mentioned they reset their radio system to clear it.

Quote:
All the dispatch RIDs for LCSO and FD have changed.
Is it possible they are operating from a backup comms center?
__________________
WS1098|WS1088|WS1095|WS1080|PSR800x2|PSR500|PRO96!
BCD536|BCD436|BCD396T|BC296D|BC245XLT|BC600XLT|BCI |VX-8R
Not a Radio Shack fan.....
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2015, 5:21 PM
freqhopping's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lo Co VA/ FM19
Posts: 4,669
Default

Tonight 6A is patched to 2956 and not heard on 2872. It's been FDMA.
I'll have to see if there is any correlation between the mode and patches.
Radios are affiliating to 2872, but output on 2956.
__________________
Spinning & Grinning
Alinco DJ-X11 - BC890XLT - 436HP - BCD396XT - BCD996T- PSR-800 - Pro-106 - MilTenna LP in the attic.
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2015, 5:52 PM
mike_s104's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Berkeley Co. WV/ Loudoun Co. VA
Posts: 4,455
Default

I've seen this before. Been about a few months on a new scanner so I thought it was just me or something I did.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2015, 6:56 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 201
Default

I knew there had to be something going on... I was hearing some Fire/Rescue traffic on the feed that I wasn't hearing on my scanner., and there are also lots of callouts I'm not hearing, mainly from Leesburg FD.There was a whole entourage of apparatus that appeared in my community earlier tonight, and I heard not a peep from the feed or my scanner while I heard them filing in, or when they left.

Pro96Com doesn't seem to show anything anomalous... that odd patch for 6A is visible, but I'm hearing sirens and not hearing calls. I'm wondering if Leesburg FD is using a different system at the moment?
__________________
Daily Use: GRE PSR-800, PSR-500
NOAA Weather Radio KHB-36 feed: RS Pro-2052
Other scanners: Uniden BC250D
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2015, 7:15 PM
freqhopping's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lo Co VA/ FM19
Posts: 4,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev View Post
I knew there had to be something going on... I was hearing some Fire/Rescue traffic on the feed that I wasn't hearing on my scanner., and there are also lots of callouts I'm not hearing, mainly from Leesburg FD.There was a whole entourage of apparatus that appeared in my community earlier tonight, and I heard not a peep from the feed or my scanner while I heard them filing in, or when they left.

Pro96Com doesn't seem to show anything anomalous... that odd patch for 6A is visible, but I'm hearing sirens and not hearing calls. I'm wondering if Leesburg FD is using a different system at the moment?

Santa Claus is making the rounds this week. Leesburg Volunteer Fire Company
Tune in the simplex freq 6-O to hear them navigating the routes.
__________________
Spinning & Grinning
Alinco DJ-X11 - BC890XLT - 436HP - BCD396XT - BCD996T- PSR-800 - Pro-106 - MilTenna LP in the attic.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2015, 7:25 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun Co Virginia
Posts: 703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev View Post
I knew there had to be something going on... I was hearing some Fire/Rescue traffic on the feed that I wasn't hearing on my scanner., and there are also lots of callouts I'm not hearing, mainly from Leesburg FD.There was a whole entourage of apparatus that appeared in my community earlier tonight, and I heard not a peep from the feed or my scanner while I heard them filing in, or when they left.

Pro96Com doesn't seem to show anything anomalous... that odd patch for 6A is visible, but I'm hearing sirens and not hearing calls. I'm wondering if Leesburg FD is using a different system at the moment?
The 6A Dispatch Channel appears to be gone (or down). This evening units that were operating on a TAC channel were advised by dispatch to switch back to Bravo as opposed to Alpha. This has been going on for the last week. The old Lo VHF Freg also does not appear to be operational. Not sure what is going on however if anyone knows please advise.
__________________
PSR 800, 996XT, and a bunch of Radio Shack stuff that still works

A stopped clock is wrong most of the day!
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2015, 7:33 PM
freqhopping's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lo Co VA/ FM19
Posts: 4,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownlab View Post
The 6A Dispatch Channel appears to be gone (or down). This evening units that were operating on a TAC channel were advised by dispatch to switch back to Bravo as opposed to Alpha. This has been going on for the last week. The old Lo VHF Freg also does not appear to be operational. Not sure what is going on however if anyone knows please advise.
Do you have 2956 programmed or is the scanner is search mode? Because 6A is patched to 2956 currently.

Going back to B from an incident channel is normal. They'll go back to A once they've cleared it.
__________________
Spinning & Grinning
Alinco DJ-X11 - BC890XLT - 436HP - BCD396XT - BCD996T- PSR-800 - Pro-106 - MilTenna LP in the attic.
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2015, 7:40 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun Co Virginia
Posts: 703
Default

OK, I will try that
__________________
PSR 800, 996XT, and a bunch of Radio Shack stuff that still works

A stopped clock is wrong most of the day!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions