Augusta County

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanWV

Premium Subscriber
Augusta County is finishing up installing new radios in all the fire, ems, and sheriffs departments vehicles. I understand that they will include narrowband and wideband channels they are currently using and will switch to the narrowband side soon and will delete the wideband frequencies sometime after. They also have unit ID's that will be displayed at the dispatch center.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
So is this for the new MotoTRBO system or have we reverted back to analog already?

I keep tabs in the forum hoping someone will provide some details for the new system... I travel up that way once or twice a year and I like to keep Augusta in my radio, but without the details of the new system I can't really do much.

ScanWV

Premium Subscriber
So is this for the new MotoTRBO system or have we reverted back to analog already?

I keep tabs in the forum hoping someone will provide some details for the new system... I travel up that way once or twice a year and I like to keep Augusta in my radio, but without the details of the new system I can't really do much.

Staunton Police is the only agency that is using Mototrbo in the area. Augusta County, which has a separate dispatch than the city, will be using their current analog frequencies but narrowbanded. That was the reason for the new radios. I haven't heard of any other agency that plans to use Mototrbo as of yet.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Well that is better news....

Hopefully someone can run one of the DMR decoder programs on Staunton PD and come up with the correct color codes, timeslots, and talkgroups..

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Well that is better news....

Hopefully someone can run one of the DMR decoder programs on Staunton PD and come up with the correct color codes, timeslots, and talkgroups..

I plan on doing this soon. Not sure about getting the TGs (I believe they probably are still conventional), timeslots and color codes. I am pretty sure I can decode the audio with DSD. I have a PC and location with outside discone (may need to replace the coax); just need permission which I think will not be a problem (my grandmother's house). I only need to get a newer scanner (don't care if it's analog or digital just as long as I can do a discriminator tap) that I can control and stream with ProScan (control with ProScan Server, Logmein or RDP) and a UPS. I plan on looping the audio out after decoding with DSD and back in to ProScan then streaming to RR. This way, the audio will have the display of what it is and the decoded audio. For now, I would only have Staunton PD 1 and 3 (2 is the input for 1, unless they changed what they call it now). The models that ProScan will work with that I'm interested in are listed below. I'm looking to spend no more than $100 on the scanner so I know the newer digital models are probably out of the question but you never know (just bought a NEW 996XT for $250 on Craig's List). So, if anyone sees one of the below for sale or has one for sale in good working condition, please let me know. I would like to have two, one for digital decoding and one for analog and run one on the left channel and the other on the right channel. And after the findings below, I'm thinking maybe an analog for DSD decoding and a digital for conventional P25 and analog. Although, I guess DSD would do the P25 and MotoTURBO too.

BCD996XT
BCT15X
BCD996T
BCT15
BC796D
BC785D
BC780XLT

Looking though the FCC DB, Staunton PD's KUU525 has 7K60FXE listed as emission (even on SIRS and OLD SIRS2!!). KUU525 (STAUNTON, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details

The Staunton FD has 8K10F1E (digital) listed.
WNWY310 (STAUNTON, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details
WPRG700 (CITY OF STAUNTON FIRE & RESCUE DEPT) FCC Callsign Details

Also, there are two new licenses for Staunton City Schools listed and both have 7K60FXE (MotoTURBO)
WQOA868 (STAUNTON CITY SCHOOLS) FCC Callsign Details
WQOK770 (STAUNTON, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details

I also found what looks like the Health Dept. It has digital listed too. I've never heard this before.
WPQE669 (STAUNTON, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details

Searching for Augusta Co., the Sheriff's Office lists digital too.
KNFY393 (AUGUSTA, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

I really do hope someone (Uniden, GRE, don't care of make/model/brand) comes out with a scanner (or ham radio) that will decode P25 and MotoTURBO soon.

My wife and I are going down tomorrow sometime to visit my grandmother. I'll bring a laptop and a modded PRO-43 to see how well DSD does with Staunton PD.

Last edited:

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Sounds good...

It would appear that you are forced to either use a talkgroup in the form of an "RX Group List"/"Contact" to operate a MotoTRBO system or set the channel to All-Call.

I am specifically interested in the Timeslots, Color Codes, and talkgroup information since I monitor with a TRBO radio.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Sounds good...

It would appear that you are forced to either use a talkgroup in the form of an "RX Group List"/"Contact" to operate a MotoTRBO system or set the channel to All-Call.

I am specifically interested in the Timeslots, Color Codes, and talkgroup information since I monitor with a TRBO radio.

Any software I can use to see all of that? I can try it tomorrow and let you know what I find.

dtscho

Database Admin
Mike,

You can get the color code, slot, and group with a Java program called DMR Decode.

https://github.com/IanWraith/DMRDecode/downloads

(The program does not decode the voice. For that, you'll need DSD.)

You'll need a disc-tapped scanner (or the PSR-800). Since it's a Java program, it can run on Windows or Mac. This is a handy little program, and I've used it to get the parameters for dozens of systems.

Dave

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Mike,

You can get the color code, slot, and group with a Java program called DMR Decode.

https://github.com/IanWraith/DMRDecode/downloads

(The program does not decode the voice. For that, you'll need DSD.)

You'll need a disc-tapped scanner (or the PSR-800). Since it's a Java program, it can run on Windows or Mac. This is a handy little program, and I've used it to get the parameters for dozens of systems.

Dave

Thanks. I'll run it tomorrow and post what I find for Staunton PD or anything new I find. I have a modded PRO-43 that'll work. I'll also have my PSR-800 which I'll use in case the PRO-43 doesn't work right (although it should).

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I thank you in advance... I wish I could make a monitoring trip up there but every time I get up that way I have little notice and no time to sit and monitor...

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
OK, went to Staunton and was able to decode the Staunton PD MotoTRBO system and I was able to get some of the requested data. I first tried the PRO-43, no luck. DSD was trying but choppy even after a bunch of different switches/options. I then tried the IF out on the PSR-800 and it decoded it perfectly without any special settings. We then did a few things we went down to do and I had a few more mins to play. I figured out that the PRO-43 needed the signal inverted, so I found the switch and it sounded great decoding the Stanton PD. I did save a min or so of data using DMR Decode.

Sorry if I didn't get all that was asked, but I only started using DMR Decode last night and the last time I used DSD was over a year ago on Linux. I didn't have all day to play plus the wife was with me and I didn't want to push her patience with all my dork crap. I don't know how they manage to stay sane with us.

So, now that I know DSD will decode the Staunton PD correctly, I am working to get a scanner for a remote install/stream. Anyone that lives there that wants to listen to the PD again can using a PC and a scanner with disc tap.

Attachments

• Staunton PD.txt
    19.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

ScanWV

Premium Subscriber
OK, went to Staunton and was able to decode the Staunton PD MotoTRBO system and I was able to get some of the requested data. I first tried the PRO-43, no luck. DSD was trying but choppy even after a bunch of different switches/options. I then tried the IF out on the PSR-800 and it decoded it perfectly without any special settings. We then did a few things we went down to do and I had a few more mins to play. I figured out that the PRO-43 needed the signal inverted, so I found the switch and it sounded great decoding the Stanton PD. I did save a min or so of data using DMR Decode.

Sorry if I didn't get all that was asked, but I only started using DMR Decode last night and the last time I used DSD was over a year ago on Linux. I didn't have all day to play plus the wife was with me and I didn't want to push her patience with all my dork crap. I don't know how they manage to stay sane with us.

So, now that I know DSD will decode the Staunton PD correctly, I am working to get a scanner for a remote install/stream. Anyone that lives there that wants to listen to the PD again can using a PC and a scanner with disc tap.

Thanks for the info. I work in the Staunton/Augusta County area and used to listen to them I've worked with some of the police officers and heard mototrbo communications on their radios, sounds pretty clear.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
As already stated, thanks for the info!

Looks like no voice was decoded in that file, so no talkgroups logged, but we know they are using color code 5...

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I was surprised of the lack of traffic. I did see talkgroups when I was playing with the DRM Decode but didn't save the data. (I was trying to figure out the software at the same time.) I think they were not busy, they now have laptops to get calls, or/and I wasn't decoding the data well enough or at all. I wished I had more time to monitor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.