BC246T-VB Public Service and a little time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricVB

Hello all,

Got a question. Haven't used my scanner in awhile, turned it on a few months ago, nothing...hopped on Radio Reference, paid my dues and looked at Virginia Beach Public Service Freqs...what happened??

Updated my radio and now I am not getting ANY Virginia Beach Police... just a couple of Sheriff comms...

Does the BC246T pick up this new system?

Thanks

Eric
Lynnhaven area

EricVB

Sorry, after reading I see that I missed a lot of detail...

Last time I used my BC246T, Virginia Beach Police was a Motorola Type 2 standard.

Now the site says Motorola Type II Smartnet and annotated "All Virginia Beach Non Public Safety use this trunked radio system, Public Safety has moved to ORION SIte 2"

Can the BC246T hear this type of system?

Eric F.
Virginia Beach

Last edited:

Tweekerbob

Sorry, Eric. that system is 100% digital and the 246T is 100% analog.

You'll need to get your hands on a digital scanner. Keep your eyes peeled, you can find pretty good deals if you're patient. Look online at this site, ebay, craigslist, etc., hit up a few garage sales/flea markets.

fredva

Feed Provider
That's a shame...

What about the BC895XLT? Is that one analog too??

Yes, that's analog only as well. Here is a list of Uniden Scanner Models: Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki If I'm not mistaken, all the Uniden models that are digital capable have a "D" in the model name, as in BC796D, BCD996T, etc. Clicking each model on that page should tell you what type of system voices it will handle - APCO-25 is the digital standard voice format that digital scanners will decode.

fredva

Feed Provider
I should also add that the baud rate for a digital scanner is also something to look at when making a purchase. I think one or two of the earliest digital scanner models can't handle the baud rate of some present-day radio systems.

EricVB

Thanks guys, for the help...

...step out of the hobby for a couple of years and everything changes.

Thanks for the digital list. Looks like I'm looking for a new scanner

gcgrotz

Try to keep up, Eric ;-) Welcome to RR, you'll get lots of good advice I'm sure.

Watch Radio Shack in the next few weeks, they are bound to have scanners on sale pre-Christmas.

reconrider8

black friday bud depends on the sale i might pickup a psr 600 from gre or maybe a pro 197 not sure yet just depends on the sales

Status
Not open for further replies.