Prince William Tow Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWCBum

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the tow companies around PWC are using radios for their comms? They've gotten quite busy, at least in my neighborhood. A quick search came up with nothing but a thread on a county farther south. Nothing listed directly in the database either, but, I'd assume they could be leasing from another company, if they were indeed using radios. Thanks for any input!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
A lot of towing companies use LTR systems due to their wide area coverage and no need to purchase a base station. Many use Nextel and cellphones too.

Check the database for LTR systems in your area and look for towing company talk groups or program and monitor these systems and listen for towing traffic.

I already see one here - FleetTalk (Independent Hill). There may be more.

Also check your county business license page here. (they may be licensed under the owner's name)

I found this one - HENRYS WRECKER INC

Last edited:

freqhopping

I don't know how much they operate in Prince William Co, but Willow Spring towing uses 1-20-020 on this system Prince William Communication (Fairfax) Trunking System, Fairfax, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies. Though you really only need to listen to 490.5125 to hear them.

You should pay attention VSP on I-95 and PWPD for any crash calls and see who they call, then tune in that FleetTalk system to determine if that's the company using that system. Your not likely to hear much from the tow company that will ID them.

freqhopping

Also there are a lot more users of that LTR system I posted. I've got 19 talkgroups logged, just got a new one tonight. There's no telling who else may be using it.

PWCBum

Premium Subscriber
I hope I'm missing something simple, but how do I set up a trunk system, as mentioned above, to monitor all talkgroups? So I can start listening for unknown ones and mark them. I have a PSR-500 and the Arc500 software. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.