RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

Virginia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Virginia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile Harrisonburg-Rockingham County Public Safety

Is anyone out there monitoring the Harrisonburg-Rockingham County Public Safety 800 MHz EDACS system ? I was in Harrisonburg yesterday and could not hear anything on it. Any tips? Encrypted? EDACS SCAT instead of EDCAS Narrow/Wide? LCN sequence?
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2013, 4:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A quick search of the VA forum for the keywords "Rockingham" and "Harrisonburg" seems to suggest that the system is a proprietary P25-compliant OpenSky system that cannot be monitored with current scanners. The analog frequencies, which the RRDB indicates are patched to the digital system, might be something you can monitor though.

Hope this helps,
Old 09-24-2013, 9:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I don't remember anything about it being OpenSky but it is some sort of non-standard, hybrid system that can't be monitored by scanners. The exception is the fire/rescue dispatch alert frequency and the mutual aid frequencies. I think that's all, and it's a small slice of the communications.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Trunk tracking scanners cannot follow this analog EDACS system. As fredva says, there's something not standard about it.

Once for kicks, I was able to hear comms when parked on a single freq on the system. Being an EDACS system, you'll never hear a full exchange because how EDACS works.
www.geocities.ws/scanseva Hampton Roads Scanner Page
Old 09-25-2013, 1:22 AM

Default Harrisonburg/Rockingham County VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlSuitor View Post
Is anyone out there monitoring the Harrisonburg-Rockingham County Public Safety 800 MHz EDACS system ? I was in Harrisonburg yesterday and could not hear anything on it. Any tips? Encrypted? EDACS SCAT instead of EDCAS Narrow/Wide? LCN sequence?
I was at my sisters in Harrisonburg yesterday and on a regular scanner i copied (Pro-96)

460.625 Rockingham Fire
460.400 Augusta S.O
460.550 Augusta Fire
453.50 Shenandoah County S.O north
453.650 Shenaandoah Co SO South
460.15 Rappahannock sounded like digital signal pro 96 would not decode
453.225 Strong in Harrisonburg Sounded like local government (used as Shenendoah Fire tac also)
Stars State police was very good copy on pro -96
Old 09-25-2013, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushDoctor View Post
I was at my sisters in Harrisonburg yesterday and on a regular scanner i copied (Pro-96)

460.625 Rockingham Fire
460.400 Augusta S.O
460.550 Augusta Fire
453.50 Shenandoah County S.O north
453.650 Shenaandoah Co SO South
460.15 Page
453.225 Strong in Harrisonburg Sounded like local government (used as Shenendoah Fire tac also)
Stars State police was very good copy on pro -96
ERROR above
460.15 is Page S.O,sounded like digital signal pro 96 would not decode
Old 09-25-2013, 5:32 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
ERROR above
460.15 is Page S.O,sounded like digital signal pro 96 would not decode
Joe, that makes sense because Page S.O. is Mototrbo digital and not P25 digital.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Fredva is right in both posts. The H/R system is ProVoice and cannot be monitored by a scanner. The only talkgroup on the system that I know of that is analog is the Fire/Rescue Dispatch (Tac 1). However the LCN is not known and can be changed or does automatically change. As BushDoctor said, Tac 1 is also linked to 460.625 for paging purposes. HFD 1 (Harrisonburg Fire) is probably analog as well and is 452.050.

The only other public safety traffic are the UHF interop channels that can be linked to the TRS when needed- typically when a neighboring county/ agency without a M/A-com/ Harris radio is operating in Rockingham. Also the 800Call/ Tac channels are utilized during some events, such as JMU home games. As far as encryption goes that the OP asked about, if I remember correctly certain TG's such as investigators & SWAT are Provoice & encrypted. There is a TG linked to SIRS, but I think it is on a different ramp than the other channels in law enforcements radios. Even SIRS has seemed to die off in the county.

Not much monitoring here unless you listen to STARS or a neighboring county.
Old 09-25-2013, 3:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks very much for all the input.
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2013, 10:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It's ProVoice,and cannot be scanned. I'm sorry. I talked to a friend that couldn't hear any police frequencies anymore,so I did a little research. There is a University police frequency(One)that can be listened to.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 AM

Default James Madison University

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVASSB View Post
It's ProVoice,and cannot be scanned. I'm sorry. I talked to a friend that couldn't hear any police frequencies anymore,so I did a little research. There is a University police frequency(One)that can be listened to.

I have 453.900 in my scanner but didnt hear any traffic on Sunday but from Strasburg,va i hear noisy transmissions sometimes as well as winchester va adult detention center on 453.900
Old 09-27-2013, 12:52 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I have 453.900 in my scanner but didnt hear any traffic on Sunday but from Strasburg,va i hear noisy transmissions sometimes as well as winchester va adult detention center on 453.900
It seems to be a lower power transmitter and really fades out outside of Harrisonburg.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 PM

Default Harrisonburg Rockingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlSuitor View Post

It is my understanding that the recently released Uniden BCD536HP will work on this system. Any confirmation?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfaneric View Post
It is my understanding that the recently released Uniden BCD536HP will work on this system. Any confirmation?
Several people confirmed in earlier posts that this system is a ProVoice system that cannot be monitored. A quick search of the x36 manual did not find the word "ProVoice", so I am guessing the answer is still "no".

Here is the link to the manual (.pdf) in case it helps:
436/536 Manual

Hope this helps,
Old 02-05-2014, 8:36 AM

You need to read and learn about DSD+.

Using a scanner with a discriminator tap and dsd+ you might be able to get them!

No scanner new or old will NOT be able to hear them. Sorry

Digital Voice Decoding Software - The RadioReference.com Forums
Old 02-05-2014, 8:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I know that last year I guess it was I was passing thru there enroute to CT. and ran up on an accident and cell didn't work---keyed up my 800 MHz radio and switched to nationwide 800 and they copied my and sent the assistance that was needed..So, I do know they have 800MHz.

Be safe
Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile DSD Plus/ProVoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafe1er View Post
You need to read and learn about DSD+.

Using a scanner with a discriminator tap and dsd+ you might be able to get them!

No scanner new or old will NOT be able to hear them. Sorry

Digital Voice Decoding Software - The RadioReference.com Forums
I agree 100%. It definitely is worth a try. I use both DSD and DSDPlus and would not be without them as part of my monitoring setups. DSDPlus automatically decodes unencrypted MOTOTRBO, NXDN and P25 Phase 1 only signals. It is a different authored open source software and provides significantly improved decoding compared to DSD. The audio quality is significantly improved and in the case of some NXDN 4800 signals in my area, DSD Plus decodes them when DSD does not recognize them. DSD Plus lists Pro Voice as one of the systems it decodes.

It's like anything else. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Convert talk into action. It takes some time and effort but certainly doable. Get educated. Help is available in the RR Digital Signals forum. Most DSD monitoring is using a base station. Some individuals have had success mobile using a laptop and modified scanner. It's a somewhat clumsy configuration and not 100% optimum but it works and is something compared to nothing.

My comments assume the target trs is not encrypted. Successful reception will not be trunked monitoring. You might hear comms using the modified scanner for baseband audio on a selected trs voice frequency or maybe program the scanner to search a group of voice frequencies. The computer audio system used additionally should have treble/bass adjustments. Maybe the received a decoded comm will be 100% to completion on a given voice frequency or maybe only partial. DSD and DSD Plus like any other modes of reception do better with strong signals.

When you configure a DSD Plus software/hardware Pro Voice configuration you also have the capability to monitor unencrypted:

MOTOTRBO (The trend is more conversions for businesses and smaller local govt/law enforcement users, i.e, Madison Co., Orange, Greene, King George, King & Queen, Washington and Charles City Co. SO. I have logged and ided about 30 new systems users in the past year in central VA. Expect more MOTOTRBO users in your area).

NXDN (Both NS and CSX systems VA currently are licensed operations and more businesses and smaller smaller local govt/law enforcement users, i.e., Emporia PD which is "private" but expect more NXDN users in your area).

APCO P25 Phase 1 (Using a quality modified analog receiver like the ICOM R7000, reception of more distant STARS sites reception may be possible assuming additionally a good antenna system. I can receive the 161.9500 mhz. voice frequency from the Fork Mtn. STARS site Madison Co.approximately 100 air miles distance). My digital scanners don't receive the minimum input signal strengths to decode either one).

John
W4UVV

Last edited by W4UVV; 02-05-2014 at 10:40 AM..