STARS Frederick County Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM82557

With milair being slow lately I had the time to look at the Frederick county (Pinnacle Knob) site with UniTrunker. One of the peers is site 001-026 (see attachment) which isn't in the RR Stars database. Any ideas as to where it is located?

Last edited:

freqhopping

It's certainly seems like it's in the valley somewhere, though the affiliation with the Independent Hill is surprising. Maybe in Shenandoah Co and the signal is passing through the gap that I-66 does.

The FCC site is down, :roll:, so no searching for it there.

W4UVV

Bear Den Mtn. Pro96Com/Site 126 Affiliation

I ran Pro96Com on the Bear Den Mtn. STARS site's CC this morning and Bear Den Mtn. shows a PTP link to Site 126.

John
W4UVV

Last edited:

W4UVV

Rawley Springs, Rockingham Co. = Site 126?

I ran Pro96Com on the Bear Den Mtn. STARS site's CC this morning and Bear Den Mtn. shows a PTP link to Site 126.

John
W4UVV

Could Rawley Springs, Rockingham Co. be Site 126? It fits as an operational LMR and is in the right neighborhood. Read the attached STARS document just posted on RR.

John

W4UVV

Last edited:

BM82557

I was thinking maybe either Rawley Springs or Massanutten. Anyone in the Luray, New Market or Harrisonburg area check the system on 161.875 to see if it is in use yet or run UniTrunker or Pro96Com on it?

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I was thinking maybe either Rawley Springs or Massanutten. Anyone in the Luray, New Market or Harrisonburg area check the system on 161.875 to see if it is in use yet or run UniTrunker or Pro96Com on it?

161.875 does indeed appear to be Rawley or Massauntten. I am about 8 miles from Rawley and also in view of Massanutten Peak. I had 161.875 in my TYS (PSR-500) for STARS- Bear Den Mt., and assumed what I was receiving was from Bear Den. I am not sure if my scanner is tracking the CC from the new site or from Bear Den. They both have strong signals from my location.

Another possibility could be Elliot's Knob, but from what I read in the STARS document in the other thread, I believe Massanutten and Rawley Springs will be activated 1st. I will do a little driving around in the next week and see what I see on the scanner.

BM82557

The state is in the process of converting some microwave only sites to LMR. See the last page of the RD217 attachment.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I am running Pro96com and 161.875 appears to be site 26 (unidentified location in the RRdb). I think freqhopping is correct it is Massanutten, but I am going to go to Rawley Springs in a little bit to confirm it is not there. As in the DB, 161.800 is showing as the alternate. 161.9375 is showing as "iv" (I don't know what "iv" is) and 162.000 is a voice channel.

W4UVV

161.9250 mhz.

161.875 does indeed appear to be Rawley or Massauntten. I am about 8 miles from Rawley and also in view of Massanutten Peak. I had 161.875 in my TYS (PSR-500) for STARS- Bear Den Mt., and assumed what I was receiving was from Bear Den. I am not sure if my scanner is tracking the CC from the new site or from Bear Den. They both have strong signals from my location.

Another possibility could be Elliot's Knob, but from what I read in the STARS document in the other thread, I believe Massanutten and Rawley Springs will be activated 1st. I will do a little driving around in the next week and see what I see on the scanner.

Bear Den Mtn. primary control channel is 161.9250 mhz.

John

W4UVV

Pro96com associated site info

I am running Pro96com and 161.875 appears to be site 26 (unidentified location in the RRdb). I think freqhopping is correct it is Massanutten, but I am going to go to Rawley Springs in a little bit to confirm it is not there. As in the DB, 161.800 is showing as the alternate. 161.9375 is showing as "iv" (I don't know what "iv" is) and 162.000 is a voice channel.

Please post the Pro96com's site info, i.e., the. associated towers ids and primary control channels.

John

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
The call sign is WQBN419.

I took a drive to Rawley Springs today and it appears this is the location of the new tower. I took my handheld scanner, removed the antenna and had a faint CC signal without the antenna. With the handheld rubber duck antenna, reception inside the vehicle reception was excellent.

I will be in the Massanutten area the day after Christmas to double check however I was a little east of Harrisonburg today, did the same test, and I had no reception without the antenna. Still a little too far from Massanutten to be sure, though.

On a side note, how do you post a pic of a screen shot? I'll post a couple from Pro96com if I can figure it out on my laptop. Thanks.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Bear Den Mtn. primary control channel is 161.9250 mhz.

John

:D Yep... by chance I happened to have the CC frequency for the new site (which must already be a CC for another STARS site) in the same scanlist as I had for my Bean Den scanlist. So I don't know what tower I've been receiving from, but my assumption was Bear Den until I read this thread and learned of the new tower.

I'll post the other info you requested as soon as I can figure out screen shots.

W4UVV

The call sign is WQBN419.

I took a drive to Rawley Springs today and it appears this is the location of the new tower. I took my handheld scanner, removed the antenna and had a faint CC signal without the antenna. With the handheld rubber duck antenna, reception inside the vehicle reception was excellent.

I will be in the Massanutten area the day after Christmas to double check however I was a little east of Harrisonburg today, did the same test, and I had no reception without the antenna. Still a little too far from Massanutten to be sure, though.

On a side note, how do you post a pic of a screen shot? I'll post a couple from Pro96com if I can figure it out on my laptop. Thanks.
Reference posting a jpg file...there are several ways to do it....try this one...first before posting on RR go to the HD folder of your screen shot jpg. Right mouse click on it and select "copy". In the text body of your RR post, typically at the bottom, right mouse click and select "paste".

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Here is the screen shot for site 126.

Attachments

• Site 126.jpg
    Site 126.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.