RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

Virginia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Virginia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 8:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Fairfax County FD reception

Has something changed on Fairfax County FD dispatch. Checked frequencies etc but I cannot receive them.
Any input appreciated.This is the P25 system.
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2014, 2:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Talk Group 1519 on the P25 system. Active constantly.
Old 07-09-2014, 6:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I commute to DC from Spotsylvania every day so I dont normally listen to any Fairfax FD or PD. Since I do come up to Fairfax at times for work I thought I would QC my BCD396T to make sure I have current freqs and TGIDs. (I did not) So after updating freqs and new TGIDs to what is currently listed in the RadioRef database for both FD and PD I don't hear a damn thing. Control channel is coming at about 4 bars but often get the "finding control channel" message while on 395/95 around Springfield/Lorton. I get MWAA just fine.

Am I missing something? Any special scanner setting I need to do. (I'm not a scanner newbie so its a bit frustrating).

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2014, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covert53 View Post

Am I missing something? Any special scanner setting I need to do. (I'm not a scanner newbie so its a bit frustrating).
LSM Linear Simulcast Modulation is the most likely reason.

This is less of an issue with the newest Unidens.
Old 07-14-2014, 3:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am using a BCD369XT. I get Prince William and DCFD just fine. Can the 369 receive fairfax if properly configured?
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2014, 9:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
I am using a BCD369XT. I get Prince William and DCFD just fine. Can the 369 receive fairfax if properly configured?
Can you confirm which scanner you are using? Your earlier post said BCD396T. Now you say BCD369XT. You have your numbers transposed (should be 396). But it could make a difference whether you are using an older BCD396T or a newer BCD396XT.
Old 07-14-2014, 9:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Fairfax FD is a simulcast system, which means that multiple transmitter sites transmit the same signal, and they interfere with one another in most scanners, particularly if you are equidistant from several transmitters.
I live in the Rockville area, and my Radio Shack/GRE scanners show three bars but can't decode the transmissions. But they do a better job when driving through Fairfax County. My Uniden 436 does an even better job but still it's not reliable.
Old 07-15-2014, 4:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Sorry about that. I have a BCD396XT.
Old 07-15-2014, 6:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by redburgundy View Post
Fairfax FD is a simulcast system, which means that multiple transmitter sites transmit the same signal, and they interfere with one another in most scanners, particularly if you are equidistant from several transmitters.
I live in the Rockville area, and my Radio Shack/GRE scanners show three bars but can't decode the transmissions. But they do a better job when driving through Fairfax County. My Uniden 436 does an even better job but still it's not reliable.
OK So is there a work-around or something that I can do? Some people are apparently able to make it work.

Last edited by covert53; 07-15-2014 at 6:42 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2014, 8:32 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
OK So is there a work-around or something that I can do? Some people are apparently able to make it work.
I think the most commonly recommended workaround for simulcast reception problems is applicable to scanners in a static location and involves using a directional antenna to get a strong signal from one tower while limiting signals from other towers. If you are mobile, I'm not sure you have good options.

Have you tried monitoring Stafford County? Stafford has a simulcast system, and I was wondering if there was any difference for you between Stafford and Fairfax.

I am not located in the vicinity of Fairfax and have not tried to monitor Fairfax since they switched to the P25 system, so there is a limit to how much I can help you. I just know many people have posted on here saying that Fairfax P25 has been a challenge for them. Searching the forum on "Fairfax" and/or "Simulcast" would probably show you what others have been saying.

One other thing I thought of - do you have the latest firmware for your BCD396XT? I don't own one of those, but I think there was a firmware update that attempted to improve simulcast reception.

Last edited by fredva; 07-18-2014 at 8:35 PM.. Reason: added question about firmware
Old 07-22-2014, 6:38 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

In line filter is the only fix. Saving up to buy an efjohnson viking vp900. Its audio codec is way more advanced then moto's on the ambe+2 platform. EFJohnson Viking VP600 Portable Radio vs. Motorola XTS and APX - YouTube

AND ITS VHF, UHF(380.0 AND UP), 700 AND 800 MHZ
Old 07-22-2014, 8:45 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

ANOTHER thing causing reception issues are the jumping of voice frequencies mid traffic or 1-2 seconds after a unit keys up. If you watch fairfax's system decoded, you will will notice what im saying. Loudoun county's does it as well.
Old 07-25-2014, 8:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

And once you get this radio, how will you program it to a local P-25 system?
I am confused.

Chuck
Old 07-25-2014, 9:48 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

With programming software and passive monitoring technique.
Old 08-01-2014, 4:06 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

One fix is to conventionally monitor the talk groups. Bypass the control all together. Audio is 5 by 5 that way.

Old 08-01-2014, 4:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Codec2 fixed my problems with reception. DSP is set as low as possible on my psr800 and all forms of attenuation are off. Gain set to 0. Can't wait to get all the hardware possible to use codec2 to its full potential.