RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

Virginia Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Virginia.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2014, 9:32 AM
W4UVV's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Prince George, Virginia--Central Va.
Posts: 1,094
Smile Caroline Co.'s new 700 mhz. trs license

Caroline Co. now is licensed for 700 mhz. APCO P25 Phase 1/2 operation.

Here is the FCC link:

ULS License - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQUL872 - CAROLINE, COUNTY OF, VIRGINIA

John

W4UVV
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2014, 2:14 PM
nfc2014's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 97
Smile Caroline County 700mhz system

Would this system once it is implemented be monitored using a Uniden 396T scanner . I live in the east end of Hanover County
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2014, 2:21 PM
W4UVV's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Prince George, Virginia--Central Va.
Posts: 1,094
Smile Only P25 Phase 1 comms using the 396T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc2014 View Post
Would this system once it is implemented be monitored using a Uniden 396T scanner . I live in the east end of Hanover County
You can monitor only unencrypted P25 Phase 1 comms using your 396T.

John
W4UVV
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2014, 9:29 AM
nfc2014's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 97
Smile

Does any know if this system is going to be Phase1 or2. I was hoping Caroline County would come on board the Hanover County System. Looks like that option would have more cost effective but we the public seem to have no say in how our taxpayer dollars are spent. By the way I would like to let everyone know that top government officials in Hanover County to told me they have no plans to encrypt their system. I commend them for their decision.They understand how we scanner listeners can be a valuable asset to them . I cannot say the same about the others in the Richmond Metro area. Just my 2cents for whatever it's worth.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2014, 6:37 PM
nfc2014's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 97
Default

I also think that if New Kent County replaces its aging analog system they should consider like King William and West Point did and become a partner on the system Hanover implemented 4 Years ago.I think I read an earlier post that they were considering joining James City/York county system.I hear they have 100% encrpyted Comms.Maybe they are thinking of doing the BIG E word For their citizens hope not .I sure do not wish to see this hobby fade away. I still think we the people can have a voice in our respective counties about this subject.Please do as i did in Hanover and call or Email or write your local elected officials if you disapprove. If we all unite i believe we can sway the elected officials to see our point of view.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2014, 8:25 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc2014 View Post
I was hoping Caroline County would come on board the Hanover County System. Looks like that option would have more cost effective but we the public seem to have no say in how our taxpayer dollars are spent.
Supposedly other agencies with their own digital systems already in place were going to charge Caroline a hefty annual fee to join in. That was the reason given for Caroline getting its own system - supposedly it would cost them a little less in the long run. I know one of the systems considered was STARS; Hanover was probably another one. I can't verify the numbers - I just know what Caroline officials said.
__________________
Mike
RS PRO-18, RS PRO-197, RS PRO-2052
Fire & EMS feeds: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/527 & http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/3331
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 PM
nfc2014's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 97
Default

I not 100% sure but are most of the counties in North Carolina using the state system known as VIPER.If this correct and please correct me if i am wrong does VA system STARS have the same capability.If this is true why don't our local agencies join this system.We would have an excellent system and also have good Interop capabilites that I thought all agencies talk about. But our excellent state police force apparently does not have enough encryption to suit the soon to be super secret local agencies in the central Va area.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:24 PM
nfc2014's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 97
Default

I forgot to mention in the previous post I was told by the unnamed Chairperson of the Henrico Board of Supervisors that our Va state police radio system was full of problems and multi million dollar boondogle.
Yet her husband who is a member of the Va House of Delagates contradicted his wife statement she made to me in an earlier conversation to me Someone is not being truthfull.Thank You for having this great forum.May God bless our Public Safety Officials and also to the US Military for their service to this great nation.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2014, 8:19 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern, NC
Posts: 1,923
Default

from what i can understand VIPER was suppose to be like stars is now but counties just started jumping on it and it never stopped
__________________
Scanners: BCT-15, Pro-106
Radios: Icom 3161
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2014, 8:38 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc2014 View Post
I forgot to mention in the previous post I was told by the unnamed Chairperson of the Henrico Board of Supervisors that our Va state police radio system was full of problems and multi million dollar boondogle.
Yet her husband who is a member of the Va House of Delagates contradicted his wife statement she made to me in an earlier conversation to me Someone is not being truthfull.Thank You for having this great forum.May God bless our Public Safety Officials and also to the US Military for their service to this great nation.

You might want to find another source of information about the Virginia STARS system. When it was first installed, I might agree with what you said. Today, it is a whole different story.

Find a source much closer to the state system than the 4th party feedback you have now.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2014, 1:29 PM
W4UVV's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Prince George, Virginia--Central Va.
Posts: 1,094
Smile 700 mhz. trs - Phase 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfc2014 View Post
Does any know if this system is going to be Phase1 or2. I was hoping Caroline County would come on board the Hanover County System. Looks like that option would have more cost effective but we the public seem to have no say in how our taxpayer dollars are spent. By the way I would like to let everyone know that top government officials in Hanover County to told me they have no plans to encrypt their system. I commend them for their decision.They understand how we scanner listeners can be a valuable asset to them . I cannot say the same about the others in the Richmond Metro area. Just my 2cents for whatever it's worth.
The FCC has mandated all 700 mhz. trs contain TDMA (Phase 2) operating capability. It is the licensee's decision of which baseline or selected combinations of both baselines to use.

John
W4UVV
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2014, 2:11 PM
nfc2014's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 97
Smile Caroline County 700mhz system

Hope they go with phase1My understanding this can be monitored by 396t
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2014, 8:37 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Aylett, Virginia
Posts: 118
Default

Has Caroline chose Phase I or II ? and when are the switching over.. If when they switch over, will the system be in RR, so all us that have a radio does phase II can upload to scanner?
__________________
CPERK
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2014, 9:24 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4UVV View Post
The FCC has mandated all 700 mhz. trs contain TDMA (Phase 2) operating capability. It is the licensee's decision of which baseline or selected combinations of both baselines to use.

John
W4UVV

Are you forgetting that the FCC has withdrawn their order that the 700 MHz. systems no longer have to go narrow band. Basically this means there is no reason to have to be forced into going phase 2. What this also means is that agencies no longer have to dump all the radio equipment they currently have that won't go phase 2 and have to buy all new user equipment.

Bottom line here is there is no longer a mandate from the FCC to be forced into going phase 2 down the road. Those agencies that don't have user equipment able to do phase 2 can continue to use their existing user radios.

Unless there is a major compelling reason for needing additional RF channels, phase 2 is not even being considered by many agencies now. About time the FCC has done the industry a favor.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 8:57 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim202 View Post
Are you forgetting that the FCC has withdrawn their order that the 700 MHz. systems no longer have to go narrow band.
John's comment about the 700 Mhz Phase 2 mandate was made back in August. According to what I see, the elimination of that mandate didn't occur until October.
__________________
Mike
RS PRO-18, RS PRO-197, RS PRO-2052
Fire & EMS feeds: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/527 & http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/3331
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 10:54 AM
W4UVV's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Prince George, Virginia--Central Va.
Posts: 1,094
Default

Currently Fred's post is correct. However, I suspect the county's license application process probably was initiated before the FCC's announced.change.

John
W4UVV
__________________
Publisher of the 2014 W4UVV VA Frequency Directory
info at w4uvv@amsat.org
Configured 1st DMR DSD Receive System in Central VA
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions