Two control channels in same bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWARD

I live in Gloucester VA and I would like to monitor (all are on same network) Gloucester, Williamsburg, Yorktown VA. The data base shows (one system) and two control channels, one on each side of the river. Now I have two control channels, one for each system. Or do I need to pick one system per bank with one control channel? I get nothing and I tried to just enter the talk freq,s for a work around but that did not work. Just for reference I have a tower about 1 mile from me. I know the police are encrypted however I am told the fire is not.

KB7MIB

If you have one of the GRE/Radio Shack/Whistler scanners, you can set it to check all control channels. This does slow down scanning from scan list to scan list some, however.
I don't have any of the Unidens, so I don't know if it's possible to achieve this with those models.

wtp

uniden answer

yes, you can.
the radio will scan and stop on the first one it hears.so if it is the weak one it will stay there. but you can just turn the knob to scan to the other one. i have done this with a 396 t and the xt. you could also put in all the voice channels just in case they rotate to a new one.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
What scanner are you using? For GRE/ Whistler's you have different options. As already answered, you can set two CC's in the same bank, however it "should" find the strongest one in most cases and track the activity on that CC. If you have enough room, you could create one system with both CC's and then two additional systems... one each with one CC.

I am not real familiar with the system you are talking about, but I suspect if you are only listening to one CC, you will lose activity on TG's that are specific to the other TG. Sometimes a TG may be on both CC's, other times it may be on only one- depending on wich CC units in the field are affiliated. For example, Williamsburg may be affiliated with the Gloucaster site, but not the Pen site. If you are only scanning the Pen site, you would lose that city and whatever else is not affiliated with the Pen site. That is why sometimes it is better to scan more than one site, unless you only want the talk groups from the specific site.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I will say since it hasn't been yet - if you have a Uniden scanner, and put two (or more) control channels in the same "bank", the radio will ignore all channels after the first CC that it successfully receives. Works OK if you know you will be out of range of one when trying to hear the other. But if both of them are receivable, once you pick up one, unless you interrupt the scan yourself, the radio will stay with that CC.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I just put each site under one system and it scans each site as it goes along. That's with Uniden. I don't have any problems doing it that way. I have it scanning five sites right now on one system. Scans each site in order and back to first one if holding on system.

With the 600 you can create separate ones or put both in one TSYS with check all CCs marked.

Status
Not open for further replies.