Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Anyone heard anything about the new radio system they are planning to replace the current system they are using.Whatever they decide top officials in Henrico and Chesterfield have stated they want to encrypt all law enforcement channels which I think is totally wrong.I wish they would look at a system like the Orion system they use in the Tidewater area.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Yes, ORION is a regional interop system with VB using a separate 800 site, still I don't see how VB relates to Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield system

eallen1064

Orion, really not a system

Orion is part of the multiple site Va Beach SmartZone system and not really a stand alone system. Va Beach is technically using the same system, just with their own talkgroups and on what sites they choose.

eallen1064

My mistake, yes it is ASTRO 25 which is P25 compliant. I used that term SmartZone because it is used in many of the software options such as (H38 SmartZone) that are in the equipment and that is what I am used to working with. I will watch my P's and Q's with you guys. :)

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Jimru, Welcome to Central Va.Just to give you a little heads up Henrico is a partner on a system with the City of Richmond and Chesterfield County.Word leaked out a few months ago that these localities are looking to replace the current system they are using by 2018.There was talk that they plan to encrypt all law enforcement channels.Henrico already has the most encrypted channels in the metro area.You can monitor there primary dispatch channels and their Fire Dept channels.I have spoke to high ranking officials in both Henrico and Chesterfield who told me that they plan to encrypt all their Law enforcement comms.I live in Hanover which neighbors Henrico and county officials here have assured me they have no plans to encrypt any of their routine dispatch channels.You want to think about moving to Hanover .

shumadine

Last time I checked, folks don't choose where to move to based on whether they can listen to a scanner or not.

Jimru, you will enjoy living in Henrico, and there is plenty of interesting things to listen to down here. Welcome!

trainman111

Just let the encryption issue die. The more it gets brought up to officials, the more reason they think they have to follow through with their intentions.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Like I have said before, the local government and officials will only listen to the public to a certain degree. Encryption is a circumstance they don't listen to the public a lot

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
Thats the problem.No one wants to voice their concerns about the lack of transparency in government.These people are supposed to be working for the citizens of their counties who pay their salaries. I know they have made up their minds but what is wrong with voicing our displeasure.Thats why they do the things they do because they think we do not care.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I don't think it's a matter of us not wanting to voice our concern, these "officials" aren't going to make decisions on whether encryption should happen or not just because a scanner hobbyist doesn't approve. Let's see when JCC,York,Williamsburg, and Poquoson decided to encrypt all their PD traffic I don't recall anyone raising hell. If they decide to encrypt, MOVE ON their is nothing a single person can do to stop or change their choice

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and info. I had looked up systems in the DB and in fact I may have the Henrico/Richmond/Chesterfield system in my ARC396 DB already, as I have visited family in the area quite a bit over the years. It's not in my BC396 currently, though.
I agree that I would not pick a place to live based on scanning opportunities. One thing I did do, though, was to make sure my apartment has a balcony, as I am also a ham (KC2LMH) and want to get at least some sort of antenna out there. I'm moving there to be near family, as I have none near me currently on Cape Cod, MA.
My cousins are spread around Richmond, Henrico & Goochland, currently.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
This new system isn't even built yet. their is still plentiful scanning with Hanover, STARS, Petersburg and all the surrounding counties

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
This new system isn't even built yet. their is still plentiful scanning with Hanover, STARS, Petersburg and all the surrounding counties

Good to know, thanks.

As a long time scanner head (started in the early 1970's) I believe there is always something fun to listen to, no matter where you are!

Well, unless maybe you are in the middle of the desert....

Status
Not open for further replies.