Pohick Bay Regional Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfgroup

Premium Subscriber
Going to be stay in the Pohick Bay Regional Park, next weekend. Would like to be able to listen to the appropriate law enforcement/park rangers, Fire and EMS while there. Can anyone make suggestions for what I should program? I will use a GRE 500 and Uniden 996XT. Thank you.

fyrman7263

Premium Subscriber
Fairfax County

As of right now the GRE will not work. Fairfax has switched to the APCO 25 phase 2. The only scanner that I am aware of that can operate at this level is the $600 bearcat bcd536hp. Unless someone else has any information that will be the county that you are staying in.

beastieboy101

As of right now the GRE will not work. Fairfax has switched to the APCO 25 phase 2. The only scanner that I am aware of that can operate at this level is the $600 bearcat bcd536hp. Unless someone else has any information that will be the county that you are staying in.

GRECOM PSR-800 & RadioShack PRO-668 can also decode P25 Phase 2. I have done it on the PWC P2 system.

From the database it looks like there are none of the park authority talkgroups on P25. There is a group of them on the P16 system database page. Don't know if they have migrated to the new P25 system yet. I can't receive any FFX system here.

I would think the park rangers would be on the P16 system still; if it is still in use. PD is on the P25 system but are very limited in voice traffic; lots of data messages are sent on the P25 system too.

It looks like the P16 system will be used for Fairfax County Public Services. Schools; Park Authority; Fairfax Connector Buses; FFX Water co.; zoning; health services; environmental; public works; housing authority; Information Technologies; Vehicle Services.

P25 will be used for Fairfax Co. Fire & Rescue; Fairfax Police Department.

Last edited:

rfgroup

Premium Subscriber
I will try the P16 freqs. If VA is anything like NY, the Park Service would be among the last to get new technology. I own a 996T, 996XT, 500 and 600 scanners along with XTS 5000 U and V for work. It looks like I may have to start saving for the new Phase II radios sooner than later. How ever, there is not enough time before this trip. My P25 Phase II portables are still a distant thought. Monroe County NY is not Phase II yet, but some of the surrounding counties that share our 700/800 trunk system are already there.

cpetraglia

Fairfax County P25 is NOT Phase II. I am listening right now with 2 PSR600s and 1 996XT. The GRE500 should work just fine if you can get a decent signal in that low area. Your closest repeater will be in Lorton. The simulcast issues can also create problems. You will need to program both systems (P16 & P25) to get what you are trying to hear. All Fx County PD dispatch are in the clear and constantly active.
Good luck.

Chuck

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Fairfax County P25 is NOT Phase II. I am listening right now with 2 PSR600s and 1 996XT. The GRE500 should work just fine if you can get a decent signal in that low area. Your closest repeater will be in Lorton. The simulcast issues can also create problems. You will need to program both systems (P16 & P25) to get what you are trying to hear. All Fx County PD dispatch are in the clear and constantly active.
Good luck.

Chuck

Yes both of your scanners will work but your big problem will be the low lying terrain. You may consider also programing in the Joint National Capital Region DB which will give you Fort Belvoir. FB may have a patch with Fairfax County PD and Fire/EMS (cannot remember). Also try the Charles County MD DB. Hope you have a good trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.