Chesapeake Trunking - Any Recent Changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogress

A day or so ago, I started having problems with monitoring Chesapeake Police. On different talkgroups, it is locking up, on what I think is always frequency 852.0375. It sounds like a control channel, but 852.0375 isn't listed as one of the primary or alternate control channels.

This is happening on two different scanners (PRO 106 and a PRO-197). Is anyone else having this problem with monitoring Chesapeake's trunked system?

I've updated both scanners with the latest from Radio Reference.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
I've been out of town since Monday but Ive noticed the same thing with the Chesapeake TRS (twice in the last hour).

On Sunday voice traffic didn't sound normal. The analog traffic on Fire/EMS dispatch sound like it was under water.

I'm ASSuming there is some type of issue with the system (I believe it's the oldest TRS in Hampton Roads besides Portsmouth) so some type of issue wouldn't be out of the norm.

There's lots of experts here on R/R so I'm sure we'll learn in short order what's happening. :)

de
chris
kq4z

rogress

An update, I still have the problem on those two scanners, but I switched the feed to my PSR 800, and it doesn't seem to be locking up on that signal, which after more observation, is always 852.0375

vpasq

Wow, thanks for saving my sanity!!!! I have been having the exact same problem and have been going back and forth all day on the Uniden Technical Support forum trying to get fixes and was almost ready to ship off my unit for warranty service. Now that I know its not just me, I don't think that will be necessary. I will keep my eyes posted here. Thanks.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
This past weekend I noticed whenever Fire would tone out, the tones sounded like something was wrong with them. Also have noticed my 436 getting hung up on the PD side, don't know if it's the same frequency

vpasq

Still there this morning. Got up, turned on the scanner and for about 20 mins no problem (talking about Chesapeake of course) and I thought oh boy, fixed. Nope, then it hung up again, so I advanced it and it started scanning. I can always tell when it happens as all of a sudden it becomes notably quiet. Sure wish this would get fixed, as I am sure you do too.

vpasq

Yup here too as well as on both dispatch (east/west) channels. In fact at one point today, the dispatch on west did a broadcast announcing they were experiencing system difficulties and asking for units to give feedback on reception. Audio and transmit receive issues were said to be occurring. I agree. In fact about an hour ago, I had to manually advance scanning over 15 times in 45 minutes as it kept hanging up on most transmissions. I turned it off for now and will get back to it later. cant imagine it will go on too long especially as it is showing itself to the users, not just the listeners.

vpasq

Hmmmmmmm hadn't heard of that. Glad I got a scanner that will work when it happens (unless they go encrypted of course.)

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
An update, I still have the problem on those two scanners, but I switched the feed to my PSR 800, and it doesn't seem to be locking up on that signal, which after more observation, is always 852.0375

I have a Whistler 1080 dedicated to STARS and after reading this I added Chesapeake. While not immune to the problem (Just now heard what sound like control channel noise but the radio continued scanning within a second or so).

From an architectural aspect I'm curious what is different (if anything) about the data decode of the PSR 800/Whistler 1080 that seem to make it less susceptible than other rigs?

de
Chris
kq4z

rogress

From an architectural aspect I'm curious what is different (if anything) about the data decode of the PSR 800/Whistler 1080 that seem to make it less susceptible than other rigs?

Thats a good question. I've been playing with it some more today, and my Pro 106 continues to lookup on that frequency (852.0375), and the PSR-800 is still working fine.

I've been looking for an "expert setting" for the Pro 106 to have it lockout 852.0375, but haven't come up with a way to do it. The control channel

I also wonder what that constant carrier signal is on that frequency.

kc4jgc

I just returned from Raleigh a little while ago; noticed the data coming over 852.0375 on the PD Records TG as Lesuer stated. I'm still receiving valid data on 853.7875. I'll press the SCAN button & it won't lock up on that freq for a while. I'd direct TUNE to 852.0375 & hear the data.

Maybe if using Pro96Com will reveal something....

kc4jgc

Just ran Pro96com on 852.0375; as I kind of suspected, it's not a P25 data signal. If I get a chance, I'll program the freq as a separate system. Maybe something will show on the '106 screen.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
Just ran Pro96com on 852.0375; as I kind of suspected, it's not a P25 data signal. If I get a chance, I'll program the freq as a separate system. Maybe something will show on the '106 screen.

Your diagnostics were a good idea. However, the noise sounds like a Motorola 3600 baud control channel and not a 9600 baud control channel.

I ran Unitrunker on it all day (with over 90% decode) and there's no System ID displayed on a PSR-500 and absolutely nothing in Unitrunker.

I think it's some type of spurious emission originating from the original control channel.

I've been out working in the RV all day. I just came in and turned up the volume on the portable and it's still there!

de
chris
kq4z

kc4jgc

Your diagnostics were a good idea. However, the noise sounds like a Motorola 3600 baud control channel and not a 9600 baud control channel.

That's what I thought as well; getting nothing on Pro96com confirmed it for me.

I ran Unitrunker on it all day (with over 90% decode) and there's no System ID displayed on a PSR-500 and absolutely nothing in Unitrunker.

Thanks Chris, for the correlation.
I think it's some type of spurious emission originating from the original control channel.

That's possible.... I know someone who has direct contact with someone with the city communications (all the 2m, 440 and even one 220 machine is on city owned towers); I can drop him a line to alert the man of a possible problem.

73 de Steve

vpasq

Wow, will it ever get s morning I was getting goods scans and then after about 20 mins, bingo, there went the hang ups again. This afternoon, no change, and now this evening I went 30 mins with holds on channels (never the same one) 10 times in 15 mins. Oddly enough, I have just gone 10 mins without a problem, but I don't expect it will last. Really strange as this system has always performed without any glitches for me until three days ago and it has been horrible. Sure hope it gets corrected. (As I am sure everyone else does too)(hey we are at 15 mins no prob)............

vpasq

I hope I don't jinx us, but I have been listening to Chesapeake for over 2 hours without any hangups or scanning glitches, so it appears whatever it was has been fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.