RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Virginia Radio Discussion Forum

Virginia Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Virginia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 7:54 AM

For those of you using an RS Pro-668 like I am to monitor this system, what DSP setting tweaks are you using?
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2017, 11:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgCSI View Post
For those of you using an RS Pro-668 like I am to monitor this system, what DSP setting tweaks are you using?
I have Whistler Scanners--
WS-1088
TRX-1
TRX-2
I bought these and sold all my older scanners for the upcoming CVRCS upgrades.
I feel your pain as I have been struggling to tweak these to make at least the Lynchburg site trunk properly.
I put a Yagi up a few weeks ago-however within the last week - Especially over the weekend- is been sporadic. Choppy and broken-But the signal is full scale.
I ended up putting a Dedicated Wilson 800MHZ Antenna 30 feet up-
Lynchburg is maybe 60% now-
However Amherst is perfect. Just like the STARS system. No simulcast Distortion at all.
And I am hearing Bedford and Lynchburg Talk Groups on the Amherst site as well.
Don't know how much I'm missing-but For now I just locked out the Bedford and Lynchburg sites.
Try these DSP settings:
DSP Level Adapt-62 to 64
ADC Gain -2DB
DAC Gain -4DB
Right now I'm using 64 with the DSP level adapt and--Amherst again--is perfect....
Your mileage may vary----I spent days tweaking those settings.
Doing anything mobile I found I had to be closer to the cities-(Sites)
I went to Bedford city last week and the scanner worked pretty well.
In the city----as soon as I hit 460 East about 3-4 miles out-it got choppy.
I'm going to be ordering a Dual Band Unification G5 this week..
These seem to overcome the simulcast distortion well----just as good as a decicated P25 commercial radio. I have not tried the systems with a Uniden scanner-maybe someone can chime in on the performance.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgCSI View Post
Also--I forgot to mention--Since your radio is similar to mine-
At first I programmed all three sites In one Trunked radio system in the programming software.
I had much better results programming One system by itself in the site tabs.
Worked much better for some reason.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The 396T is OK with the RS-800 decodes ok some are choppy, downfall is it is selective and missing a LOT of transmissions, threshold setting manual 6, the 436hp works best for me with a Watson all band from scanner master and laying on its side in the car, some spots in town are crystal clear , most are not

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 11:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracky View Post
Also--I forgot to mention--Since your radio is similar to mine-
At first I programmed all three sites In one Trunked radio system in the programming software.
I had much better results programming One system by itself in the site tabs.
Worked much better for some reason.
I thought about trying that with my radios as well but didn't think it would help, I will try it now, worth a shot

Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2017, 11:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbum View Post
The 396T is OK with the RS-800 decodes ok some are choppy, downfall is it is selective and missing a LOT of transmissions, threshold setting manual 6, the 436hp works best for me with a Watson all band from scanner master and laying on its side in the car, some spots in town are crystal clear , most are not

Yes----and the thing is you are ALOT closer to Lynchburg then me as well.
I would have thought you would be picking up the Lynchburg site as clear as I'm picking up Amherst!
Gone are the days of Plug and play for us scanner users............................
Old 07-17-2017, 3:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Nowhere near a paved road, in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
Exclamation Known CVRCS Talkgroups as of: 2017-07-17

Known CVRCS Talkgroups as of: 2017-07-17

Any additional and/or corrections gratefully accepted.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 170717b______CVRCS_2017-07-17b_P25_TALKGROUPS.pdf (196.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-17-2017, 9:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

OK so I have the system tolerable every where but my house. My house I have LYN very hot at 3 o'clock position (as reference) Amherst 3 to 4 bars at 4 o'clock and Bedford 2 to 3 bars 11 o'clock. LYN is so hot at my house a paperclip stuck in the center hole on my 436 I still have massive Multi path distortion. traveling around town I have found that bad spots I can unscrew my antenna where only the ground is connected (center pin not) it clears it up,, maybe 2 threads connected. I also have confirmed that like the Whistlers I also separated all 3 systems in my scanner improved chop a LOT. I am getting better at the tricks to hear it anywhere but at my house. Next step is trying a Yagi KB4CVN loaned me , the house clean decode is the goal now
Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If need be, I also have some coaxial alternators you can add in to knock down the signal a bit more.
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2017, 8:11 AM

I have a Home Patrol 2 which is supposed to be capable of receiving P25 Phase 2 transmissions. Since the CVRCS switch, I've been unable to hear anything from Amherst, Bedford or Lynchburg. I have updated my HPDB database through Sentinel. Is there something else that I need to do? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-18-2017, 4:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerobc View Post
I have a Home Patrol 2 which is supposed to be capable of receiving P25 Phase 2 transmissions. Since the CVRCS switch, I've been unable to hear anything from Amherst, Bedford or Lynchburg. I have updated my HPDB database through Sentinel. Is there something else that I need to do? Any help would be appreciated.
Its phase 1, depends on where your at. It has bad multipath distortion that scanners can't handle well, did you manually program the new system? I doubt its in the sentenial release yet

Old 07-18-2017, 4:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4cvn View Post
If need be, I also have some coaxial alternators you can add in to knock down the signal a bit more.
May have to, wonder if I can put something variable in line to tune it lower?

Old 07-18-2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Its phase 1, depends on where your at. It has bad multipath distortion that scanners can't handle well, did you manually program the new system? I doubt its in the sentenial release yet

No, I did no manual programming. Some of the new setup is showing up in Sentinel, but other parts are missing. For example, no Fire/EMS out of Lynchburg. I guess additions will come with time as it's all very new. I was able to hear some transmissions while at work today, but nothing at home last night. I'll make a few adjustments when I get home and see what happens. And yes, the distortion is quite noticeable at times. Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-18-2017, 8:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerobc View Post
No, I did no manual programming. Some of the new setup is showing up in Sentinel, but other parts are missing. For example, no Fire/EMS out of Lynchburg. I guess additions will come with time as it's all very new. I was able to hear some transmissions while at work today, but nothing at home last night. I'll make a few adjustments when I get home and see what happens. And yes, the distortion is quite noticeable at times. Thanks for your reply.
At my house I get nothing. it all cancels out (too strong). put the scanner on ID search if you haven't already. I get good reception at spots on Timberlake. full reception on wards rd and Simons run, get spotty in forest all up and down 221 Myself and KB4CN are the ones figuring it out and posting to the database. his latest is in pdf format on post #107 Yet to be submitted to the database
Old 07-19-2017, 9:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
At my house I get nothing. it all cancels out (too strong). put the scanner on ID search if you haven't already. I get good reception at spots on Timberlake. full reception on wards rd and Simons run, get spotty in forest all up and down 221 Myself and KB4CN are the ones figuring it out and posting to the database. his latest is in pdf format on post #107 Yet to be submitted to the database
I have been e-mailing all the spreadsheet updates to the List Moderator: David (“dtscho”) as FYI’s, but only submitting to be published in the database information which has been 100% confirmed.

Quote:
May have to, wonder if I can put something variable in line to tune it lower?
I have one Lab Grade variable attenuator, but it is $$$, whereas the small coaxial fixed value units are much more rugged, and expendable.
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2017, 7:19 PM

Local news article about the change. It is comical because according to the article only one place can program scanners.

Local scanner changes leave old radios silent | WSET