Pulaski low band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
39.300 DCS 632 Pulaski County Police Dispatch. WQCU509

I've been picking this up intermittently the past few weeks from all the way up in NJ! I tried submitting it to the database but got rejected because the county does not have a Police Dept. I know it's an agency within the county, can anyone confirm who lives in or near this area which agency is using this channel?

Thanks!

ecps92

Odd, as a google returns the Sheriffs Web page

The DB shows UHF, maybe still patching to Low Band
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2894#cid-4524

I've been picking this up intermittently the past few weeks from all the way up in NJ! I tried submitting it to the database but got rejected because the county does not have a Police Dept. I know it's an agency within the county, can anyone confirm who lives in or near this area which agency is using this channel?

Thanks!

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
It would probably be the Sheriff’s Department if anyone.

Are you sure you are hearing Pulaski County? The license indicates mobile only (not that it means anything) but they have multiple other base frequencies licensed.

W4UVV

Pulaski County, VA Sheriff's Office reception

Thanks!

--------------------
Some Virginia cities/counties may have a Sheriff's Dept. and Police Dept. and some may not. What you heard was the county Sheriff's Dept. comms usually sourced to one of two weather conditions. The first is a "temperature inversion". Typically this is caused by unstable portions of warm air trapped between two cooler layers. The "trapped" warmer air acts as a RF reflective barrier and results in increased ground wave signal distance. These typically occur early in mornings and deteriorate as the sun rises. Infrequently they also occur in the evenings.

The second weather related propagation is an ionized atomospheric vhf E layer, which also is unstable, but typically supports RF single and double single signal "hops" from 25-60 mhz. Typically a single hop is about 1,500 air miles and a double hop 3,000 air miles. E layer signals less than 500 air miles may be referred to as "short skip" and are a rare form of E layer RF propagation. I have experienced only one using the 6 meter ham band voice frequencies (51-52 mhz.). I had a short comm of about 10 minutes with a ham in my home area in Bristol, TN 400 air miles distant in 2010. Either E layer signal can disappear within seconds and does.

I infrequently hear the MD state police on 39 mhz. with various degrees of temperature inversion strengths and suspect that was what you were experiencing. Virginia has experienced a significant number of rain cells transiting the state off and on for the past two months with significant day/night temperature change differences in some locations.

John
W4UVV

ZeroGravity

Premium Subscriber
39.30 MHz
DCS 632

Confirmed as Pulaski Co VA Sheriff's Office. Re-broadcast of 453.775 UHF repeater.

WA4MJF

--------------------
Some Virginia cities/counties may have a Sheriff's Dept. and Police Dept. and some may not. What you heard was the county Sheriff's Dept. comms usually sourced to one of two weather conditions. The first is a "temperature inversion". Typically this is caused by unstable portions of warm air trapped between two cooler layers. The "trapped" warmer air acts as a RF reflective barrier and results in increased ground wave signal distance. These typically occur early in mornings and deteriorate as the sun rises. Infrequently they also occur in the evenings.

The second weather related propagation is an ionized atmospheric vhf E layer, which also is unstable, but typically supports RF single and double single signal "hops" from 25-60 MHz. Typically a single hop is about 1,500 air miles and a double hop 3,000 air miles. E layer signals less than 500 air miles may be referred to as "short skip" and are a rare form of E layer RF propagation. I have experienced only one using the 6 meter ham band voice frequencies (51-52 MHz.). I had a short comm of about 10 minutes with a ham in my home area in Bristol, TN 400 air miles distant in 2010. Either E layer signal can disappear within seconds and does.

I infrequently hear the MD state police on 39 MHz. with various degrees of temperature inversion strengths and suspect that was what you were experiencing. Virginia has experienced a significant number of rain cells transiting the state off and on for the past two months with significant day/night temperature change differences in some locations.

John
W4UVV

All counties and independent cities should have Sheriff. In independent cities they were once called city sergeants. Think they all are sheriffs now. The Sheriff runs the jail, provides security for the courts, serves civil processes, collects taxes and, in places with no police, enforces criminal law, too. They can still enforce criminal law in places that have police but generally do not. They are elected by the voters.

Ronnie

Status
Not open for further replies.