VA - STARS VSP Vehicle Repeaters Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBMTS

Here is a 4th of July present for all of my Virginia RR friends. I happened to be passing by a local restaurant here in the Hampton Roads area and spotted a gaggle of VSP cruisers (if gaggle is the proper term in this case) in the parking lot. Taking full advantage of the opportunity I flipped on my 396 and put it into Close-Call mode. I immediately got a hit on 764.400 Mhz. It was Chesapeake VSP traffic. I put the scanner back into CC mode to double check. It hit again on that frequency. I monitored it for a little while just to be sure. This is definately the in-car repeaters to the 700/800 portables.

Again - 764.400 Mhz (P25 only)

Now the question is if this is a statewide frequency or if it is only used in cruisers for Dist 5. Everyone start listening up, especially if hitting the highways for the 4th.

Stay safe everyone!

Randy

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
Hey RB,

It's at least 1st and 5th Div.. I recorded a CC hit on that frequency on I-295 in Richmond last year.

I have read that when multiple units arrive on a scene that a voting process takes place and the first cruiser that opens its door is the MRE that is activated and all portables on the scene work through that MRE. Based on that information I'll make the assumption it is statewide.

Be safe and Happy Birthday America.
de
chris
kq4z

tuttleje

Good catch,

Here is an excerpt from the RR info on the NC VIPER system:

Raleigh/Wake EMS 700Mhz/800Mhz Conventional Frequencies:
Raleigh/Wake Public Safety has several 700Mhz Frequencies to be used on scenes where 800MHz penetration into buildings is less than useable. The Frequencies are as follows:
Direct_1 ......... Direct_2..... Direct_3 ......Direct_4 ........... VEHRPTR
764.150Mhz 764.175Mhz 764.200Mhz 764.400Mhz 794.400Mhz 764.400Mhz

Looks like 764.400 MHz is a vehicle repeater output on VIPER (as well as STARS). I bet it's a simplex on STARS as well. These other VIPERS freqs might be used as other simplex on STARS. I remember hearing a VSP supervisor tell a trooper to go to "Direct 1" on his handheld radio.

Last edited:

W4UVV

Close

RBMTS said:
Here is a 4th of July present for all of my Virginia RR friends. I happened to be passing by a local restaurant here in the Hampton Roads area and spotted a gaggle of VSP cruisers (if gaggle is the proper term in this case) in the parking lot. Taking full advantage of the opportunity I flipped on my 396 and put it into Close-Call mode. I immediately got a hit on 764.400 Mhz. It was Chesapeake VSP traffic. I put the scanner back into CC mode to double check. It hit again on that frequency. I monitored it for a little while just to be sure. This is definately the in-car repeaters to the 700/800 portables.

Again - 764.400 Mhz (P25 only)

Now the question is if this is a statewide frequency or if it is only used in cruisers for Dist 5. Everyone start listening up, especially if hitting the highways for the 4th.

Stay safe everyone!

Randy

Good frequency detection for a close call hit. There is no 764.4000 mhz. frequency available for licensing for this (STARS) state use. The actual frequency is 764.4125 mhz., channel 65, 25 khz. center frequency allocated for state licensing. I live near a Division 1/Division 5 overlap reception area and hear this particular low power frequency on occasion but not as often as other ones. It may be assigned soley to Division 5.

This frequency has been in use for some time and as subsequent installations progress it may be one of several "standard" frequencies for one or more STARS divisions. My 996T base reception has shown impressive los reception distances of 764.4125 mhz. and other low power signals when the mobiles are out and about.

RBMTS

W4UVV said:
Good frequency detection for a close call hit. There is no 764.4000 mhz. frequency available for licensing for this (STARS) state use. The actual frequency is 764.4125 mhz., channel 65, 25 khz. center frequency allocated for state licensing.

Interesting. I'll have to do some additional checking - thanks for that info. Like the 996, the 396 is capable of hitting on both frequencies as there is no "step" setting on CC. One of my hits was after taking the antenna off, so I would have thought that it would have then hit on the exact frequency unless I was sitting right next to their car getting overload.

Just out of curiosity, what other 700Mhz hits have you observed? It would be valuable to plug them in as well.

RBMTS

I had a good signal shot today at a nearby to a cruiser running the VRS. The center frequency is 764.40625. Utilizing some professional grade equipment allowed me to monitor and choose the best P25 decode of the three different frequencies (.4000, .40625, .4125). As W4UVV indicated, this is channel 65 but on a 12.5Khz step. Nothing beats professional grade equipment when trying to decipher P25 signals!

Setting my 396 scanner to this channel resulted in a greater decode range as well.

Have fun!

rvawatch

for those of you with a 396 or a 996, what "system type" did you set up to enter this channel? p25? vhf? how did you enter it in?

thanks

RBMTS

Just create a conventional system, or add the channel to any existing conventional system you have already programed and listen to. The 396 will auto decode the digital signal on a direct channel. The 996 allows you to select the type of audio. It would be best to select "digital only" since 700Mhz frequencies are P25 only.

The one thing you don't want to do is to add this frequency as a site in a STARS trunking system you might have setup. This is not a trunking channel so you can't mix the channel into an existing trunking setup. It needs to be in a seperate "conventional" system setup. However you can set the same QK # for both systems (or site in the case of a 996) so that both are turned on or off at the same time.

Hope this helps you.

Randy

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
heard traffic on 764.4062MHz tonight north of Winchester on RT11 at the WV/VA line as State PD and Frederick County Sheriff's Dept. were setting up a DWI Check Point. I didn't look to see if it was P25 or analog but I'm 95% sure it was analog from how it sounded.

W4UVV

more

mike_s104 said:
heard traffic on 764.4062MHz tonight north of Winchester on RT11 at the WV/VA line as State PD and Frederick County Sheriff's Dept. were setting up a DWI Check Point. I didn't look to see if it was P25 or analog but I'm 95% sure it was analog from how it sounded.

764.40625 mhz. is ch. 65 state license @ 12.5 khz spacing and it would be P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.