King George

Status
Not open for further replies.

TERRANCE_2

From an Officer in King George County VA. I understand that they have switched over to Digital VHF. Does anyone know if they are changing anything to go with the new system or if the system is fully operational at this time ???

Thanks

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
They were operating on normal frequencies and tones as of Friday. Looks like we need to take another look.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

MOTORHEAD3902

Thought I had them on conventional VHF last night...???

HOWEVER- I have heard them go to DVP from time to time. I think. Is this what the feller was referring to?

MOTORHEAD3902

OKAY, I just checked out the DB, where the freq I heard King Geo using is NOT listed...Im puzzled, as the dispatcher clearly identified herself as King George on 154.800. These were comms of a L/E nature... any comments from within the peanut gallery?

TERRANCE_2

They Are Norm. Using 159.090 But A King George Officer Said They Have Switched Over To Digital Vhf I Did Not Know If They Were Going To Change Stuff Do To This Or What. I Am Still Picking Them Up On 159.090 But Not As Clear As I Used To Be Able To !

MOTORHEAD3902

Yes, I had locked the 090 freq out of my radio due to local interference, but I will see if I can catch what theyre up to this evening.
Anyone know if the 154.800 freq is them or another King George outside of Va?

W4UVV

Incorrect

Prince George Co. had not used 154.8000 mhz. for the past 4 or 5 years due to intermod problems with their 159.150 mhz. repeater on their old vhf system. 154.8000 mhz. no pl has been used by King George SO for at least the past several years although no license displays on a FCC data base search.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
MOTORHEAD3902 said:
Thanks, UVV. I didn't thinkI was losing my marbles. Or my hearing.

Kinda miss PG using this and the .150 freq...the audio was actually audible :D

I know, I have no idea at all why, when PG upgraded (should I use that word or just UPDATED) they went with a UHF and not VHF non trunking P25 like Dinwiddie. I have heard from several people both on the fire/ems side and police side that the old stuff actually had less dead spots and everything. Who knows if they will end up going with some form of P25 or even joining either the Hopewell/Ft Lee system or the Petersburg system. The Hopewell/Ft Lee system would make sence since both of them run a lot of Fire/EMS mutual aid in the first place. As a matter of a fact I know at least some of the Fire/EMS units have a radio for the system. I have heard them talking with Hopewell before and it was way too clear to be a patch from their system.

TERRANCE_2

So I take it that king George is stayin on the same FREQ and nothing has changed just moved over to digital I guess !

KD4KNR

KG had upgraded their VHF voter system..and added a couple new TAC channels

W4UVV

Stick0413 said:
I know, I have no idea at all why, when PG upgraded (should I use that word or just UPDATED) they went with a UHF and not VHF non trunking P25 like Dinwiddie. I have heard from several people both on the fire/ems side and police side that the old stuff actually had less dead spots and everything. Who knows if they will end up going with some form of P25 or even joining either the Hopewell/Ft Lee system or the Petersburg system. The Hopewell/Ft Lee system would make sence since both of them run a lot of Fire/EMS mutual aid in the first place. As a matter of a fact I know at least some of the Fire/EMS units have a radio for the system. I have heard them talking with Hopewell before and it was way too clear to be a patch from their system.

Your comments and other non-printable ones were made well before the lousy decision to install an analog UHF radio system. In my opinion this is another classic example of non-technical individuals making technical decisions. PG could have gone P25 vhf with only getting a couple more vhf frequencies and installing 2 new towers. Dinwiddie Co. already was P25 operational with their vhf standalone frequencies. But no, $3.5 million of taxpayer monies was spent on aniquated technology. Listen to PD and FD dispatch. Some of the mobile's volume is low and difficult to hear. Ground wave coverage is less than on vhf.

There will be no upgrades to P25 or joining this or that system. This was the big radio system installation. As for interoperability, there is SIRS and the telephone.

MOTORHEAD3902

SIRS? Did you say SIRS, John?

The braintrust in charge of such matters ordered the removal of SIRS from the County PD cars and did something awful to the dispatch center's SIRS equipment. We now find it impossible to contact a county unit for assistance. Only rarely will the PD answer a call to them, as they are all but deaf on this freq. From the South end of PG, we end up calling Sussex or Dinwiddie on SIRS....

Progress. Unencumbered by real results.:roll:

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
W4UVV said:
Your comments and other non-printable ones were made well before the lousy decision to install an analog UHF radio system. In my opinion this is another classic example of non-technical individuals making technical decisions. PG could have gone P25 vhf with only getting a couple more vhf frequencies and installing 2 new towers. Dinwiddie Co. already was P25 operational with their vhf standalone frequencies. But no, $3.5 million of taxpayer monies was spent on aniquated technology. Listen to PD and FD dispatch. Some of the mobile's volume is low and difficult to hear. Ground wave coverage is less than on vhf.

There will be no upgrades to P25 or joining this or that system. This was the big radio system installation. As for interoperability, there is SIRS and the telephone.

Sorry not trying to hi-jack the OPs thread.

What I was saying about interop is that Prince George does have Hopewell/Ft. Lee mobiles and/or portables in their Fire/EMS. The reason I am saying this is because a few times I've heard them run mutual aid into Hopewell and they were talking to Hopewell crystal clear. It was no way possiable that it was a patch from their system as it was way too high quality. I have heard that Petersburg has PG radios in their Fire/EMS units.

W4UVV

Correct

MOTORHEAD3902 said:
SIRS? Did you say SIRS, John?

The braintrust in charge of such matters ordered the removal of SIRS from the County PD cars and did something awful to the dispatch center's SIRS equipment. We now find it impossible to contact a county unit for assistance. Only rarely will the PD answer a call to them, as they are all but deaf on this freq. From the South end of PG, we end up calling Sussex or Dinwiddie on SIRS....

Progress. Unencumbered by real results.:roll:

You're correct. I have not heard the PG dispatcher on SIRS in a very long time. When I did hear the dispatcher it was typically calling for a VSP mobile in the area or responding to Sussex or Surry Co. I don't ever recall hearing a county unit on SIRS. On the new Courthouse UHF tower is a new SIRS antenna mounted almost but not quite at treetop level with the other antennas. But it probably rarely will be used.

Common sense appears to be a stranger. By the way, the existing Courthouse 199 ft. vhf metal frame tower is available for sale. There's nothing wrong with it and would have supported the antenna arrays on the new UHF tower, but no. Put up a new tower 200 ft. away from the other one.

_Jerry_

My girlfriend works as a dispatcher on the Sheriff's side and I know several of the deputies there. I was told by one of the Sergeants a few weeks back that they are going to be switching to digital eventually but considering their current system isn't that great it won't be until a while longer.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I was in the area today, and heard nothing on this 154.800. I did hear KGSO on 159.09 [146.2] as normal.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

TERRANCE_2

Thanks Jerry

_Jerry_ said:
My girlfriend works as a dispatcher on the Sheriff's side and I know several of the deputies there. I was told by one of the Sergeants a few weeks back that they are going to be switching to digital eventually but considering their current system isn't that great it won't be until a while longer.

THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP !

Status
Not open for further replies.