Finding unknown P-25 system parameters with UniTrunker and BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

gor1717

Hello,
I'm new to all this, so please excuse my possibly naive questions.

I have a BCD396XT scanner and I would like to listen to a P-25 system working in my area.
I know nothing about the system parameters, frequencies, etc and the information is not available (at least I cannot find it).
Can I find these paramteres using UniTrunker? How?
Any other way?

Thank you,
Roman

SCPD

QRT
Find the control channel. Create a new P25 site / system in your radio with this one frequency. Set your radio monitor and Hold on this system with control data output option turned on.

Run Unitrunker for a while to accumulate additional information like voice channels and talkgroups.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I'm new to all this, so please excuse my possibly naive questions.

I have a BCD396XT scanner and I would like to listen to a P-25 system working in my area.
I know nothing about the system parameters, frequencies, etc and the information is not available (at least I cannot find it).
Can I find these paramteres using UniTrunker? How?
Any other way?

Thank you,
Roman
Well, it would certainly be a good start if you gave us at least a vague ideal of the area you are wanting to monitor ie, Country, State, etc,. Members on these forums are from all points of the globe.

--
Comint

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I second a request for more info, specific location would be best. There are some systems that are not currently in the database for various reasons, but that does not mean that the system does not exist. Also, new systems pop up all of the time. There are some that I know about, but because I installed or maintain the system, I am not able to publicly say "here it is!!" But, if someone asks about it, then they may get steered to more info. TT

gor1717

area

Well, it would certainly be a good start if you gave us at least a vague ideal of the area you are wanting to monitor ie, Country, State, etc,. Members on these forums are from all points of the globe.

--
Comint

Hi,
Thank you for replying.
I'm in Israel, Haifa area.

gor1717

Thank you for replying.
How do I find the control channel? I tried using a custom search with "C CH only" option turned on, but couldn't find anything in 800'sMHz range - that's where I can hear the talking.
Is it possible that the control channel is in a totally different frequency range?

You mentioned "Set your radio monitor" - what does that mean?

Thank you,
Roman

gor1717

I'm in Israel and trying to listen to "Israeli National Police Nitzan System (P-25)", which appears in the database, by with no detailed information.
Thank you.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
How do I find the control channel? I tried using a custom search with "C CH only" option turned on, but couldn't find anything in 800'sMHz range - that's where I can hear the talking.
Is it possible that the control channel is in a totally different frequency range?

Roman
Well, the usual set-up is to have the Control Channels in the same area as the Traffic Channels (Voice/Data Channels). In my country, the 800 MHz Trunked Band extends from 865.0125 to 869.9875 MHz, and both the Control Channels, and the Traffic Channels, are in that range.

I would scan from 851.0125 to 868.9875 MHz, in 25kHz steps, and be on the lookout for a continuous transmission on one of the frequencies. Thats assuming your 800 MHz Band covers the same range as the US Band.

NOTE: I'm not sure the "C CH Only" function works, if the frequencies are outside the above range.

--
Comint

spock00

Thank you for replying.

You mentioned "Set your radio monitor" - what does that mean?

Thank you,
Roman

According to a document from the Israel Police Headquarters from 2009 the system may utilize three bands:
" The frequencies' spectrum for the new digital radio system
3.2.1.6 Range of either VHF (158-174 MHz) or UHF (450-470 MHz) for Voice applications.
3.2.1.7 Range of 806-869 MHz for Voice applications.
3.2.1.8 Range of 700 MHz for data applications."

www.police.gov.il/Pages/aspnet_client/Files/Tendersdocuments/rfi_1031Addition.doc

I see many Israeli police officers using Motorola XTS 5000 radios (usually with 800 MHz or UHF looking antennas). They used to use MT or HT1000s? I bet they're using the new radios for 800 MHz digital P25 trunked. So yes from what the police report said they could be using different freq ranges for a few new trunking systems. I would assume that each band (VHF, UHF, 800) would have its own control channel and other channels since they would be different trunking systems. Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Last edited:

MItnadevRBSA

How did things turn out with the setup?
I am a mitnadev in Bet Shemesh and am looking to get a scanner.
If it works out, can i listen to Bet Shemesh and JLM only?

Thanks

BorisG

I prefer to discuss it through private message. Your settings don't allow private message or email contact so I can't get a hold of you.

I have exactly the same help
I was looking for a few days but did not find the channel
You can help please?
Thanks in advance!

spock00

Find the control channel. Create a new P25 site / system in your radio with this one frequency. Set your radio monitor and Hold on this system with control data output option turned on.

Run Unitrunker for a while to accumulate additional information like voice channels and talkgroups.

How do you turn on the control data output option on the 396xt?

SCPD

QRT
How do you turn on the control data output option on the 396xt?
It's in the manual. The Uniden website is very slow right now. Page 103 ...

Code:
Settings
You can set the following items from this menu. 
Set Backlight 
Adjust Key Beep 
Battery Option 
Adjust Audio AGC 
Adjust Contrast 
Set C-CH Output 
Set GPS Format 
Set Serial Port Band Defaults 
P25 LP Filter 
See Scanner Info 

Press [E / yes / gps] to enter each setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.