RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software

Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software - For discussion of software applications which decode digital voice formats and trunking control channels. Please use the HF Digital Signals forum for anything below 30MHz.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2015, 6:24 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you, Denny. No to just about all your questions. I failed. No instructions were read. I'll go do it the right way now

Thanks

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2015, 7:42 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Got it working. Compiled under Linux and then copied the product to Win. Runs just fine.

The LSM decoder seems to be working great man. Great job!

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 02-20-2015, 8:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
The LSM decoder seems to be working great man. Great job! Mike
Max (KA1RBI) deserves the credit for the LSM ... I'm using a slightly modified version of his OP25 gardner detector/costas loop code.
Old 02-20-2015, 8:09 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSheirer View Post
Max (KA1RBI) deserves the credit for the LSM ... I'm using a slightly modified version of his OP25 gardner detector/costas loop code.
I figured as much, but that does not take away from what you've created so far, what you are adding, the fact that you were able to incorporate Max's code in, etc.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this though. I'm not hearing any audio. I had just one dongle plugged in, and I'd monitor the CC. Then when there was activity on a VC, I'd click on that channel on the left. I could see the messages / events, but I'm not hearing the audio. I suspect I might have a wrong device set as default.

At any rate, after I put the second dongle in, it detects and tunes it. Although it isn't giving me any messages/events anymore for any of the channels. I have to get used to the heirarchy of everything. But I love the features. Great job!

Mike

Old 02-20-2015, 8:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
I figured as much, but that does not take away from what you've created so far, what you are adding, the fact that you were able to incorporate Max's code in, etc.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this though. I'm not hearing any audio. I had just one dongle plugged in, and I'd monitor the CC. Then when there was activity on a VC, I'd click on that channel on the left. I could see the messages / events, but I'm not hearing the audio. I suspect I might have a wrong device set as default.

At any rate, after I put the second dongle in, it detects and tunes it. Although it isn't giving me any messages/events anymore for any of the channels. I have to get used to the heirarchy of everything. But I love the features. Great job!

Mike
I haven't added support for P25 audio or traffic channel following yet.

If you click on any of the decoding channels in the left side panel, it will highlight in yellow and you will hear audio from that channel. All of the decoders (except NBFM - no squelch) implement their own squelch control, so you'll only hear audio when it detects/decodes control messages reflecting audio activity.

I'm still working on the P25 channel state control code this weekend, so that it will correctly update current channel call state (call, data, etc), talkgroup and system info and it will correctly log call/data/system events in the events tab.

After that, I'll add support for the MBE audio codec so that you can hear voice on the traffic channels.
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2015, 8:39 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I haven't added support for P25 audio or traffic channel following yet.

If you click on any of the decoding channels in the left side panel, it will highlight in yellow and you will hear audio from that channel. All of the decoders (except NBFM - no squelch) implement their own squelch control, so you'll only hear audio when it detects/decodes control messages reflecting audio activity.

I'm still working on the P25 channel state control code this weekend, so that it will correctly update current channel call state (call, data, etc), talkgroup and system info and it will correctly log call/data/system events in the events tab.

After that, I'll add support for the MBE audio codec so that you can hear voice on the traffic channels.
Thanks Denny. You've been of great help.

Mike

Old 02-20-2015, 10:26 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Well as much as I wanted to try the new stuff on the Cortland system I can't seen to wrap my head around getting all this to install/compile so I will wait patiently until it is released. Usually I can get around installing things to get things to work but not so much this time. But I will be happy to be able to try it out when it does get released. Especially when it can follow and decode voice traffic. It might end up replacing the Unitrunker setup I am using for my online stream if it works better.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
And yes, please send the Passport and MultiNet code. I pieced together a passport decoder from the info I found on radio reference and some other websites. They took the local Oswego county Multi-Net system offline before I had a chance to do anything with it. I'm not sure how many Multi-Net systems are still active.
The only MultiNet left in New York is Rensselaer County. There are several Passport systems operated by radio shops, particularly down the Hudson Valley.

I'm still hoping for a Windows-based replacement for LTRTrunker.
Old 02-22-2015, 2:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I posted the P25 decoder test build ... and started a new thread:
http://forums.radioreference.com/tru...ml#post2344143
Old 08-02-2016, 6:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Any adjustments for P25 audio?

Hi

I'm running SDRtrunk v 0.2 on a dual boot PC, Windows 7 / Ubuntu 16.04 using two RTL-2832 with Rafael Micro R820T Tuners. Performance is astounding, kudos to Denny on the code.

There's one thing I'd like to see if I can better in my build - trunked P25 audio at times is a little distorted making it hard to understand what is said. Much of the time the audio is good quality and easily understood.

The PC with the tuners is next to a BCD 996XT, both use indoor antennas. My location is about 1 mile from the trunk site.

Is there anything that I might could adjust to improve the audio?
Old 08-02-2016, 8:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ypj View Post
Hi

I'm running SDRtrunk v 0.2 on a dual boot PC, Windows 7 / Ubuntu 16.04 using two RTL-2832 with Rafael Micro R820T Tuners. Performance is astounding, kudos to Denny on the code.

There's one thing I'd like to see if I can better in my build - trunked P25 audio at times is a little distorted making it hard to understand what is said. Much of the time the audio is good quality and easily understood.

The PC with the tuners is next to a BCD 996XT, both use indoor antennas. My location is about 1 mile from the trunk site.

Is there anything that I might could adjust to improve the audio?
The main factors that you can control are:
1) Tuner PPM adjustment - ensure the signals are aligned with the frequency scale
2) Gain - just enough to maximize the signals without raising the noise floor.

A shortfall in the code is in my JMBE library implementation of the IMBE codec. I've got a few ideas on how to improve the performance of the codec that will hopefully improve audio quality.

Are you using the C4FM or the LSM decoder?

cheers,
Denny
Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Will SRDtrunk work with discriminator audio fed into a sound card or is it only for USB SDRs?
I need a Unitrunker replacement that will run on Linux.
Old 08-04-2016, 8:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
Will SRDtrunk work with discriminator audio fed into a sound card or is it only for USB SDRs?
I need a Unitrunker replacement that will run on Linux.
I originally planned to support discriminator audio and the program will allow you to route sound card audio through the decoders. However, it doesn't decode anything. I don't have a discriminator tapped scanner to test against to determine what's going wrong with the decoding.

Denny
Old 08-05-2016, 11:42 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's all I use is a discriminator tap. I don't know anything about software debugging so I probably can't be of any help.
Old 08-06-2016, 3:16 PM
Seņor Member
Database Admin

Hi Denny;

Quote:
I don't have a discriminator tapped scanner to test against
Configure a program (yours or something like SDR#) to pipe unfiltered discriminator audio to VB Cable. Point your decoder's audio input to the other end of the virtual audio device. That will allow you to test live signals with out actually tapping an old scanner. Another option is to request WAV audio files from someone (like Tom) with a tapped scanner.

This is dirty but actually works - MP3 recording of control channel + 1/8" patch cable to loop back headphone audio into microphone input. Be VERY careful with volume setting (start from zero) to avoid blowing the microphone input.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have managed to get SDRtrunk working on my laptop.
it is an amazing software. I am running into an issue however, I have got the control channel locked in. however, two of the voice channels 773.08125 and 773.8125 keep showing up with "channel processing error" im not sure what that means..

this is the system I am working with MOSWIN.
Trenton 700 Grundy 769.45625c 769.70625 770.45625a 770.70625 773.08125 773.83125
Old 08-17-2016, 4:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0rpj View Post
I have managed to get SDRtrunk working on my laptop.
it is an amazing software. I am running into an issue however, I have got the control channel locked in. however, two of the voice channels 773.08125 and 773.8125 keep showing up with "channel processing error" im not sure what that means..

this is the system I am working with MOSWIN.
Trenton 700 Grundy 769.45625c 769.70625 770.45625a 770.70625 773.08125 773.83125
Can you send me the sdrtrunk_app.log file? It is stored in your (User Directory)/SDRTrunk/logs/ folder

You can post it in the sdrtrunk support forum:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sdrtrunk

Denny
Old 06-17-2017, 4:05 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default locking out talkgroups

is there a simple way to lock out talkgroups on a p-25 system.
Old 06-17-2017, 5:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

i think you can set the priority to 0 (zero), that's what i do
Old 06-17-2017, 5:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What an exciting time ! Is this ph-I voice ?