Anyone willing to add key capability to dsd ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowser22

As such, will dsd ever be capable of using a known key for a system. Be it des, aes, etc.
Thnks

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Only God

I have been praying to God for some hacker to post a free shareware utility that can be added to DSD that will allow authorized persons to monitor certain encrypted transmissions.

phillydjdan

LOL You're really joking, right??? I mean, read your statement again slowly. Shareware software? Who is going to be the "authorization" police for this? Look, I want to hear encrypted transmissions as much as the next guy, but forget it, pal. Nobody is going to put any information out there that will get em 3 hots and a cot with Bubba for the next umpteen years. Next!

bowser22

No way you would get the key without a radio in hand and lots of equipment and knowledge to get the key from it. Even then it would be killed on the next otar. Is there any possibility that smaller agencies could be using generic, or basic crypto keys. All 0's, the alphabet in order. All ones. The basic stuff. I know this seems kind of ridiculous to think that but, I really strongly believe some agencies may be doing that and not sending otar. Take for example my municipal department, very small. People around here only have old realistic non trunking scanner and can get them on VHF. I really can't see them putting their ducks in a row.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Wow, you guys are a tough bunch.

It was a simple question that just needed a simple answer.

If you consider that OP25 supports DES-OFB, it's not all that unlikely that DSD could some day be modded to allow the use of a key.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
There are already some examples of DES-OFB in some C++ libraries, I could look into how feasible this would be. Is there any documentation available that would show exactly how they perform the actual encryption? I know that the radios can be tweaked to encrypt all the call parameters or just the key number. That will obviously have an impact on how decryption occurs.

I don't see what all the hubbub is about legality, brute-forcing an unknown key for DES is damn-near impossible and AES is essentially unbreakable even with quantum computing. The only functionality this code would have would be legitimate users with the actual key in hand. Just my opinion of course.

bowser22

It's all in the security weaknesses on p25 documentation. I agree with you, it's not malicious at all to have that option in the software since only someone with the key could decrypt. I just don't have the patience to set up sdr and use gnu radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.