Unitrunker questions/wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
1. On a P25 system I follow, Unitrunker doesn't believe that radio-to-radio calls and individual transmissions in them are active the complete time they actually are and I miss audio. The call history is only showing one side's transmissions and Unitrunker is releasing from those before they are finished. Would it be possible for Unitrunker to delay retuning a voice receiver/assume the transmission is still in progress by looking at the signal or squelch level? Or would a log be helpful to see what's going on?

2. The health rate for that system never gets above 66 or 67, and a person I know who was/is involved with the system has noticed that since day one. Could this be because it's from EADS and not Motorola? I can get higher health rates on another regional, Motorola P25 system in the area, and I don't think it has to do with my location.

3. If you're using two RTL SDR voice receivers, is there a way to tell them apart in sdrsharptrunking.log (or does the log only work for debug receivers)? I was wanting to send each audio/metadata stream to a copy of Trunking Recorder.

4. I would like it if an audio stream could be sent to just the left or right side input instead of both sides.

SCPD

QRT
1. On a P25 system I follow, Unitrunker doesn't believe that radio-to-radio calls and individual transmissions in them are active the complete time they actually are and I miss audio.
If anything, the program stays on the call too long. Monitoring squelch would help free the voice receiver sooner instead of waiting for the call timer to lapse. What is the decode health when this happens?

2. The health rate for that system never gets above 66 or 67, and a person I know who was/is involved with the system has noticed that since day one. Could this be because it's from EADS and not Motorola?
This is normal on systems (mostly VHF and UHF) that use a less efficient mechanism for packing commands on the control channel. You are actually getting 100%.

3. If you're using two RTL SDR voice receivers, is there a way to tell them apart in sdrsharptrunking.log (or does the log only work for debug receivers)?
A future release will allow labelling each receiver.

4. I would like it if an audio stream could be sent to just the left or right side input instead of both sides.
I'll add this to the wish-list.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply.

What is the decode health when this happens?

It happens even when it's 66-67. I don't ever see transmissions from the other side, and I don't seem to have problems with group calls getting cut off so I don't think it's a reception issue.

This is normal on systems (mostly VHF and UHF) that use a less efficient mechanism for packing commands on the control channel. You are actually getting 100%.

This system is 700 mHz, if that makes a difference.

Amraks

Premium Subscriber
Priority range would be cool too

listen to 10 - 20
listen to 0 - 10
So have a low field and a high field input.

SCPD

QRT
Here you go:
Thank you.

This system only updates call progress on unit to unit calls once every 10 seconds. In contrast, group calls are updated more than once a second. If they fixed their messaging to send out a full 40 TSBKs per second (instead of only 26), they'd have the bandwidth to update their unit-to-unit calls more often.

I'm adding this problem to the wish-list.

slicerwizard

Well, what system subscriber unit needs frequent late entry reminders about a private call? Neither the source or target are paying any attention to the control channel...

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
Actually, unit-to-unit calls get assigned a dedicated frequency, so if you just want to know that the call is going on (but not when parties are actually talking) you just need indication of when the call starts and ends, but looking through the logging output, I couldn't tell when it ended.

slicerwizard

Actually, unit-to-unit calls get assigned a dedicated frequency,
Of course. No-one said otherwise.

so if you just want to know that the call is going on (but not when parties are actually talking) you just need indication of when the call starts and ends, but looking through the logging output, I couldn't tell when it ended.
The system and its control channel messages are not designed for outside observers. None of the system users need this information, so it is not broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.