Does DSDPlus decode DMR Simplex ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronenp

Can DSDPLUS decode the DMR Simplex mode ? I have tried today to decode with it and it doesnt decode nothing doesnt even say its DMR
DSD decode even the voice .....
Please Advice
Thanks FOrward
Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
Ronen Pinchooks (4Z4ZQ) WebSite

kma371

QRT
Well if it doesn't say it's DMR maybe it's not.

It does decode simplex DMR on my end here.

ronenp

May you be kind enough and add a screen capture of the data window of a Voice conversation of a DMR (MOTOTRBO) communication ? decoded by the DSDPLUS ?

as i said the DSD can decode and the DSDPLUS even doesn't recognize that there is a DMR traffic
it is like it doesn't see any data ....

Thanks In Advance
Regards
Ronen - 4Z4ZQ

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Here are screen caps of a call on simplex TG 99 which is the standard for Amateur radio in the US.

Attachments

• DMR 1.jpg
    DMR 1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,749
  • DMR 2.jpg
    DMR 2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,762
  • DMR 3.jpg
    DMR 3.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,472

ronenp

Thank you
I have made some investigation
it is a Repeater input and not simplex
the Regular DSD1.7 decode it fine
the DSDPLUSE ignore it as there is no transmittion at all
May you check if the DSDPLUS can decode the repeater input trafic
and if you can do it on a real MotoTRBO system it would be much better
Thanks Forward
Ronen - 4Z4ZQ

racingfan360

Ronen - I can confirm DSD+ does decode both DMR simplex AND the input to a repeater.

However I find it is the least reliable of all DSD+ features and quite often results in a garbled decode for me (Maybe 50% of the time???). Signal strength is very important for a good decode. I also found using the tuning settings from dsdtune were required for good decodes: not sure if DSD+ 1.074 is supported by dsdtune, but I still use my settings from a previous version of DSD+ that did work with dsdtune.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that the repeater input frequency is simplex. Also being the input frequency means the signal is strictly based on the power outputted by the radio transmitting and your proximity to the transmitting radio.

In other words for portables you'd have to be on top of the transmitting radio to pick it up. Most radios seem to transmit 4 watts which isn't much.

DSDPlus decode requires a decent enough signal to process it from everything I've read. Poor signal means poor or no decode.

So that could be your problem right there.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Or... on the flip side of whats been said above, you aren't transmitting right beside your tapped RX radio by chance are you? If so the signal will be way overloaded and you won't decode a thing.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Or... on the flip side of whats been said above, you aren't transmitting right beside your tapped RX radio by chance are you? If so the signal will be way overloaded and you won't decode a thing.

Hadn't thought of that.

Heck I had to go to other side of my house to transmit to get the screen shot I put up. Trying it next to the computer is interesting to say the least but decode anything it doesn't.

ronenp

First of all thank you all for all the answers
I hope you tested it with True motorola repeater and especially with real motorola TRBO radio that work via the repeater i suspect that there are incompatibility in the protocol between the various radios
However the radio that was working via the repeater is a Motorola TRBO one and its received signal is reasonable (not noisy on the input) it work via a true TRBO repeater (DR3000)
the DSDPLUS don't even decode a signal and the DSD decode the transmission and play the sound clear maybe the DSDPLUS don't inter-prate the TRBO signal correct that's why it was important to me to get reports from other fellows that receive same type of signal coming from same type of radios

If any of you will see any behave as i have described here please post it here so if it is something needed to be correct in the DSDPLUS so that the team of the software will be aware of it and if needed be able to fix that
best regards
Ronen - 4Z4ZQ

racingfan360

To confirm, DSD+ is tested and proven to work on MotoTRBO and Hytera (it will no doubt work with other variants of DMR).

Maybe you can post a raw capture of both the input signal and the repeater signal you are trying to decode for others to look at?

racingfan360

>but how do i do it
When you hear DMR simplex in use on the channel, pres the R key in DSDPlus...it will record raw audio. Press R again to stop recording. Upload the file to something like zippyshare.

TrboMonitor

i dont mean to hijack the thread, but i noticed in your screen dump it contains,

-DMR MS VC6 e:6e7r7e

I am also seeing the same information in my decodes, now dose anyone know what the VC6 e:6e7r7e portion means please?

Cheers

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
First of all thank you all for all the answers
I hope you tested it with True motorola repeater and especially with real motorola TRBO radio that work via the repeater i suspect that there are incompatibility in the protocol between the various radios
However the radio that was working via the repeater is a Motorola TRBO one and its received signal is reasonable (not noisy on the input) it work via a true TRBO repeater (DR3000)
the DSDPLUS don't even decode a signal and the DSD decode the transmission and play the sound clear maybe the DSDPLUS don't inter-prate the TRBO signal correct that's why it was important to me to get reports from other fellows that receive same type of signal coming from same type of radios

If any of you will see any behave as i have described here please post it here so if it is something needed to be correct in the DSDPLUS so that the team of the software will be aware of it and if needed be able to fix that
best regards
Ronen - 4Z4ZQ

Okay it is confirmed by many, many people that DSDPlus works on DMR including Simplex. I don't know what the problem is you're having but I am fairly certain its not the program since so many say it works and it works for me too.

I have no repeater anywhere near me so can't monitor the output from the repeater. The input is the same as simplex monitoring. DSDPlus decodes DRM traffic of all kinds.

As to the type of radio I'm using they are a Kirisun DP770 and CS700 radios and DSDPlus decodes both quite well.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
i dont mean to hijack the thread, but i noticed in your screen dump it contains,

-DMR MS VC6 e:6e7r7e

I am also seeing the same information in my decodes, now dose anyone know what the VC6 e:6e7r7e portion means please?

Cheers

I have no clue. It does in order say MS Voice then MS VC2-6 then repeats again. At first I thought it stood for Voice Channel but that doesn't make sense really so I'm back at having no clue. :)

The e followed by numbers is error in decode from what I understand. Not sure what the numbers following the "E" are though.

slicerwizard

dose anyone know what the VC6 e:6e7r7e portion means please?
From the DMR docs, DMR voice superframes consist of six subframes, named A through F. Each subframe holds three 20 millisecond voice frames.

DSD+ repeatedly displays VOICE/VC2/VC3/VC4/VC5/VC6, so those would be the six subframes.

The e: display shows decoding errors. AMBE voice frames contain two Golay codewords; each codeword supports the correction of three bit errors. The addition of a parity bit to the first codeword supports the detection, but not correction, of a fourth bit error. So up to seven bit errors can be detected. So in your example, 6, 7 and 7 bit errors were detected in the three 20 ms voice frames that made up subframe F (VC6)

Anything higher than three is highly suspect. The 'e' and 'r' notation matches the original DSD implementation - e = error frame (muted); r = repeat frame (repeat previous frame's voice data)

The screen dump also shows:

MS VC5
MS VC6 e:6r5r6r

so the 20 ms voice frames in subframe F (VC6) had 6, 5 and 6 bit errors, so the third voice frame from subframe E (VC5) was rrrrrrrepeated three times to fill in for the 60 ms of corrupted audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.