Need help with DSD+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokies3030

Premium Subscriber
My local SO uses MOTOTRBO and I have been reading and watching about DSD+. The other day I downloaded version 1.074 onto my computer and have been trying to get it to work on my BCD396XT scanner. I went thru and made shure that all of the application files were loaded. I have my scanner and computer linked with a USB port to port adaptor. I used RR freescan to program the scanner. Can anyone please help me get this corrected? I am not a computer person so I think I've done good so far.

RonnieUSA

My local SO uses MOTOTRBO and I have been reading and watching about DSD+. The other day I downloaded version 1.074 onto my computer and have been trying to get it to work on my BCD396XT scanner. I went thru and made shure that all of the application files were loaded. I have my scanner and computer linked with a USB port to port adaptor. I used RR freescan to program the scanner. Can anyone please help me get this corrected? I am not a computer person so I think I've done good so far.

To use it with your BCD396XT, You will have to install a tap in it.
Would be cheaper, or easier to buy a $15.00 dongle.

DSDPlus

+1 for the DVB-T dongle recommendation. They work very well with DSD+.

Hokies3030

Premium Subscriber
I have the programming cable plugged in which has a USB to computer, VGA to VGA, then cable going to USB plug for radio. I asked a computer person and they said that this is a "dongle" is that not correct, what do I need. Also is their something that needs to be set or done each time you turn on the or do you just plug into computer and listen to scanner transmissions.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I have the programming cable plugged in which has a USB to computer, VGA to VGA, then cable going to USB plug for radio. I asked a computer person and they said that this is a "dongle" is that not correct, what do I need. Also is their something that needs to be set or done each time you turn on the or do you just plug into computer and listen to scanner transmissions.

The programming cable does not carry audio of any sort. It's not needed at all for this setup. To use your 396XT you will need to install a discriminator tap inside of it (Google 'discriminator tap' for lots of info, or search it on here). If you aren't a 'computer person' as you mentioned, then installing the tap might be out of your comfort zone. If so, the other popular alternative is to use an SDR dongle. Yes, there are lots of dongles out there, but that term is used pretty loosely. You need an RTL-SDR dongle specifically, and they can be found on eBay, Amazon etc etc for well under $20. The next hurdle will be whether or not your Sheriffs department is using encryption. My educated guess will be yes, but you never know!

DSDPlus

OK, purchased the above mentioned DVB-T dongle, installed DSD+, plugged in dongle, and still not smart enough to make work, HELP...... getting frustrated
You need to:

install dongle USB driver with Zadig

install VB Cable

run FMP; first command line parameter (WaveOut device) must point to VB Cable

run DSD+; -i parameter must point to VB Cable

Then you tune around the bands with FMP; DSD+ does the rest

RayAir

Or:

use a scanner with a built in tap to begin with. PRO-668's can be had on the cheap lately ($180-$200).

Install DSD 1.074 (DSDPlus | Digital Decoder)
Save and extract the files
Turn your 668 on, go into its settings and set IF (discriminator audio) to "HP" or "HP/SP".
Connect a 1/8" to 1/8" audio connector cable to your scanner and the other end to your computer
If it is a laptop youll need a cheap sound adapter cable, 3 line 1/8" prong y'ed to a mic input and headphone/speaker output. In this case connect your cable from your scanner to the red mic in input on the sound adapter cable. For desktop use the "line in " input on the back of your desktop.
Go into computer sound settings and make either line in (desktop) or external mic (laptop) your default comm device.
Tune your scanner to the digital channel of your choice.
Open DSD
right click on the line that says DSD application.
Run DSD as Administrator
position your DSD boxes neatly on your screen for easy viewing
Watch the data start to fly!

Tips: tune to a TRBO Connect Plus control channel or P25 control channel so you'll know right away if you are getting decoding.

Check your DSD source audio box to make sure you are getting a signal. If you're not, you need to recheck your computer sound device settings and scanner set up.

Any luck yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.