Windows 10's latest update and Unitrunker (and RTL sticks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hey folks,

Both my desktop and laptop downloaded and installed some fairly large and significant W10 updates over the past 36 hours or so (seems Calamity Tuesday still exists in the W10 universe). IIRC, it was Windows 10 version 1511 that came in (in two different batches).

When all was said and done, on both my machines, the R820T2 devices had their winusb drivers blown away and RTL2832 drivers installed. I had to re-run Zadig (just once per machine) to get winusb back on them so that the SDR sticks would work.

I say Unitrunker in the title because that's what I use my SDR sticks for - I presume the same issue would crop up with SDR#, DSD+, ADS-B, or whatever hobby you pursue.

eddie555

Just Saying....

I Googled, "How Do I Revert To Windows 7"

Windows 10 scandals keep coming: forced updates (causing crash loops), disabled user preferences,outlandish privacy invasions, blowing through user data allowances. Each is taking the shine off what is actually a very good core operating system, but I’m sorry to say they don’t stop there…

The eagle eyes over a tech blog Alphr have spotted a remarkable permission in the Windows 10’s services agreement: the operating system has the right to scan all software and hardware on your computer and disable anything it believes is illegal.

Section 7b reads: “We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the [Windows] Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices.”

If you’re running Windows 10 and don’t like this, too late. Users have to agree to all terms in the Windows 10 services agreement before it will install.

SCPD

QRT
Now if only Unitrunker (the software not the person) did not suck then you might be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amraks

Premium Subscriber
I Googled, "How Do I Revert To Windows 7"

Windows 10 scandals keep coming: forced updates (causing crash loops), disabled user preferences,outlandish privacy invasions, blowing through user data allowances. Each is taking the shine off what is actually a very good core operating system, but I’m sorry to say they don’t stop there…

The eagle eyes over a tech blog Alphr have spotted a remarkable permission in the Windows 10’s services agreement: the operating system has the right to scan all software and hardware on your computer and disable anything it believes is illegal.

Section 7b reads: “We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the [Windows] Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices.”

If you’re running Windows 10 and don’t like this, too late. Users have to agree to all terms in the Windows 10 services agreement before it will install.

I Will never upgrade to Windows 10. furthest I would go is window 8.1 from my beloved 7.
I reckon we are about to see the end of Windows after this version. forcing people to control them is not a good idea of business.

To that other person
Who ever said unitrunker is not a very good program you are wrong when was the last time you used it?

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Hey folks,

Both my desktop and laptop downloaded and installed some fairly large and significant W10 updates over the past 36 hours or so (seems Calamity Tuesday still exists in the W10 universe). IIRC, it was Windows 10 version 1511 that came in (in two different batches).

When all was said and done, on both my machines, the R820T2 devices had their winusb drivers blown away and RTL2832 drivers installed. I had to re-run Zadig (just once per machine) to get winusb back on them so that the SDR sticks would work.

I say Unitrunker in the title because that's what I use my SDR sticks for - I presume the same issue would crop up with SDR#, DSD+, ADS-B, or whatever hobby you pursue.

I noticed the same thing after the update. I ran the Zadig updates since I figured out the driver thing. SDR# works, but I have not been able to get Unitrunker to work. I deleted my 2 RTL sticks, then added them again, but they can never be started. Yet SDR# has no problem.

Did you have any Unitrunker issues after reinstalling the drivers?

SCPD

QRT
Run away as fast as you can from Windows 10!. It's not friendly for radio software, like the driver issues with the RTL sticks and software. Microsoft wants to take over your computer and your life. It kept trying and trying to install by doing Windows updates. I finally figured how to make that stop. Just look at the terms y0u have to agree to if you want to use Windows 10. Win7 is very good and Windows 8.1 can be tolerable after a few tweaks are done to it. Using Win 8.1 right now on my older Sony Vaio and it works good. When I got everything just right on my laptop, did a system image of it in case I have to re-install and not go through re-doing all my tweaks.

Windows 10 ranks up there as the worst OS beating Windows Me. I can't believe the guys in Redmond would put out this crap OS. I am not speaking for everyone, a couple of friends and the wifey have it on their pc's and love it. For radio stuff, remote control, usb sticks, and for programming it's a WinXP box which is not allowed internet access or a Win7 32 bit box. My main pc is Windows 7 64bit runs fantastic. When the next version of Windows comes out and if it's anything like Win10 then time to learn Linux or get Mac.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Nope, not a one. Working beautifully, 2 devices with 4 VCOs apiece right now.

Glad yours is fine. Looks like I'll have to try a reinstall next to see if that fixes it. Just don't want to lose all the Unitrunker data. If not, I might just roll back to Windows 7, or make that a linux machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.