DSD fastlane initial setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

swm239

Premium Subscriber
Hello, can someone point me to directions on how to set up the dsd fast lane? I have seen conflicting info posted. I have read the notes file with the last release and all I see there is what has been upgraded.
I have dsd plus running on 4 different computers so have that part down. What I am trying to find is how to set this up to begin with. Some say you need dongles, some say you need a virtual audio cables. Just looking for what is needed so I can figure out to order or download.
Thanks for any help.
Scott

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Hello, can someone point me to directions on how to set up the dsd fast lane? I have seen conflicting info posted. I have read the notes file with the last release and all I see there is what has been upgraded.
I have dsd plus running on 4 different computers so have that part down. What I am trying to find is how to set this up to begin with. Some say you need dongles, some say you need a virtual audio cables. Just looking for what is needed so I can figure out to order or download.
Thanks for any help.
Scott

It depends on what you want to do. At the very minimum, you will also need the program Unitrunker, the program Virtual Cable, and 2 dongles. You can get by with only 1 dongle if you have a scanner with a discriminator tap mod. So what are you trying to listen to?

br0adband

If you have it running already on 4 different computers I don't see why you'd be asking such a question since the fast lane release simply adds some additional capabilities before the public release gets them - it's still the same software overall, and the included text files should provide enough documentation to get things rolling.

Answer the following questions and perhaps we'll be able to help better:

1) Is the system or the systems you want to monitor conventional or trunked?

2) What format is the system or the systems using (P25 Phase I, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, etc)?

3) What's your current hardware setup? You said you're using DSD+ on 4 computers so that would typically mean you've got 4 signal sources for DSD+ to work with (either discriminator tapped scanners or perhaps some other type of SDR hardware whatever that might be) - be specific with the info if possible.

The fast lane version of DSD+ also comes with FMP (just as the public releases do now as well) and that's used to control some types of SDR hardware, at the moment I think it's specific to Airspy and RTL sticks aka "cheap USB TV tuners" and called RTL sticks because they use the RTL2838U controller chip for communicating with a computer/software. FMP is capable of trunk tracking on some formats (DMR/TRBO and NXDN iirc but not P25 at this time but perhaps in a future release).

swm239

Premium Subscriber
DSD fast lane initial setup

Thanks for the notes.
I have all avenues here, P25 conventional and trunked. Trbo conventional and trunked and Nexn conventional and trunked. Not too concerned about P25 trunked as scanners are covering that part.
I have all 780's, 796's and pro 97's with discriminator taps running to line in on the computers sound cards.
I am unclear what I need to add in the fast lane operation. In the past few years, I have just had a scanner with tap, download the dsd program plug it in and start the program. This has been all I have done, just don't have the knowledge on which hardware is or is not needed moving forward.. I have also watched the video on utube and in there he explains the use of the bat files and fmp files. But I don't know what equipment I need to get to that point.
Thanks again for the help.

br0adband

Sounds like you already have all the necessary hardware, the question then becomes are you hoping to add even more capability (in terms of how many things you can monitor at one time) by purchasing even more hardware or can you re-use what you've already got now for other purposes?

If you're looking to add more receivers then sure, the RTL sticks are the cheapest and most efficient way to do that these days - for $20-25 for a TCXO based RTL stick using an R820T2 tuner which is slightly more sensitive you end up having a whole new way of doing things that doesn't require a huge cash expenditure like an actual physical scanner does - the downside of course is you need a computer to use it with and software too (the software needed is free, thankfully) but you've apparently got computers to spare.

Again, the main question (from me) is still: what do you want to do with DSD+ that you're not already doing with the physical scanners you already have? They probably work just fine since you haven't noted or specified any problems with what you've already got set up so, what are you looking to do that's different from what you're already doing?

Are you looking to move to using SDR hardware and software to do all your monitoring (which of course requires computers) thereby freeing up the physical scanners for something else, or do you just want to learn more about the SDR side of monitoring overall?

M105

The fastlane version just replaces the DSD+ release version with added capabilities. It remains compatible with any existing setup. If you have a release version running you install the fast lane version by just overwriting your existing files. The FMP programs are tuners for SDR radios. They make it possible to use SDR radios/dongles instead of disc tapped scanners if you like. The virtual audio cables (I prefer VB Cable which is donateware) allow you to pipe audio streams to more devices and programs than the standard computer audio is capable of.
---
Your question is somewhat ambiguous. If you already use DSD+ release version then you should realize the fastlane versions are just a head start (think beta test) of the next release version.

swm239

Premium Subscriber

HI, thanks again for the input. What had my main interest from watching the video was the ability to lockout and prioritize specific TG's. We have trash companies and security co's that talk all the time. Wanted to be able to lockout these TG's and move some of the other ones that I am trying to ID up on the priority list. Again, this is where I am not clear on setup, I thought I read somewhere that I needed one line for tuning and one line for trunking. Does the current patch cord I am using count as 1 or do I need 2 separate cables ( virtual or dongles) to accomplish this. Does the current patch cord plug into both of these cables via a Y connector or just one?
Again thanks for the help, I am sure it will make sense eventually once I figure out how the setup goes

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you want to trunktrack NXDN or Con+ systems, you have two choices for minimum hardware for each system you want to monitor at the same time.

One option is 1 tapped scanner, mono patch cable, one SDR dongle, and a computer.
The other choice is 2 SDR dongles and a computer.

Either setup you need to hear the signal (tapped scanner or SDR dongle 1/FMP)
Decode the control channel (DSDPlus instance #1) to control the Voice radio
Receive the voice channel (SDR dongle and FMP)
Demodulate the digital voice traffic (DSDPlus instance #2) out to speakers.

chris

swm239

Premium Subscriber

Thank you for the updated info. So it appears I need a SDR dongle for each computer to go along with the scanner, tap, patch cord. Are there specific model #'s to order? Are there specific companies for these?
I saw mention of RTL2838U and R820T2, any difference in these? I will start with getting these ordered and will likely have a few more questions about hook up once they arrive.
I appreciate the input.

slicerwizard

What had my main interest from watching the video was the ability to lockout and prioritize specific TG's. We have trash companies and security co's that talk all the time. Wanted to be able to lockout these TG's and move some of the other ones that I am trying to ID up on the priority list.
The 1.101 version of DSD+ at dsdplus.com does that for NEXEDGE, Con+ and TIII systems.

If you are getting Fast Lane updates, typically you just replace the 1.101 programs (like DSDPlus.exe, FMP.exe, ...) with whatever updated programs are in a given Fast Lane release. All of the other 1.101 files, like DSDPlus.networks, .Sites, .Frequencies, etc. are just left as is.

Again, this is where I am not clear on setup, I thought I read somewhere that I needed one line for tuning and one line for trunking.
You need one signal source for monitoring the control channel and one for tuning to voice channels.

Does the current patch cord I am using count as 1 or do I need 2 separate cables ( virtual or dongles) to accomplish this. Does the current patch cord plug into both of these cables via a Y connector or just one?
Again thanks for the help, I am sure it will make sense eventually once I figure out how the setup goes
Don't know what you mean by patch cord. Sounds like maybe you have a tapped scanner? What you want to do requires at least one SDR dongle. Best if you just get a couple of the frequency-stable rtl-sdr.com dongles. I picked up a couple of them along with the "SMA Straight Antenna Set" adapters to use with antennas I already have. I don't recommend using the antennas that are included with some dongles, but if you're dealing with strong local signals, maybe you can get by with them.

Buy RTL-SDR Dongles (RTL2832U) - rtl-sdr.com

M105

The "patch cords" are virtual not physical cables . With DSD+/FMP's ability to transfer audio over IP ports you actually don't need any to do what I think you are wanting to do.
---
I suggest you read all the documentation in the release version and examine the batch files. It isn't all that complicated to set up once you get into it. Scanner+DSD+ monitoring the control channel communicating with FMP+DSD+ processing the voice and outputting it to the speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.