Compiling with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozerman2009

Premium Subscriber
Any one else thinking about trying to compile gnu radio with Windows 10 bash ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

br0adband

I actually thought about that yesterday, I grabbed the 14316 ESD and converted it to an ISO and then installed that in a VM in Fusion (since I use OSX these days) just to play around with that bash functionality and at one point I did consider it but I think in the long run it will eventually encounter issues. Perhaps later on when the bash functionality is more finalized - since it's just out of alpha stage at this point and does have some issues - but it is most certainly something that I will continue keeping an eye on for the future.

I won't ever run Windows 10 as my daily runner OS, hell no, but if at some point it becomes a possibility of actually getting GNURadio - or for me personally and specifically OP25 - running directly on Windows and not virtualized could be a very interesting thing to see in action.

dozerman2009

Premium Subscriber
I am going to try to compile with it tomorrow to see how far I can get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Bash is just a shell.. I haven't followed this recent Windows/Linux marriage that closely, but once you get bash running on Win10, does that let you execute command line programs like GCC? Do you also get the Linux file system hierarchy under it (ie /bin /home /etc /usr /var)?

If you compile it, can it run on Windows, or do you still have to do it through the bash shell?

br0adband

Developers can run Bash Shell and user-mode Ubuntu Linux binaries on Windows 10 - Scott Hanselman

It's very capable, to be honest, but don't expect miracles so far since it's still just a command line oriented tool - it does come with kernel support meaning the Windows 10 kernel supports this functionality natively from the ground up, this activity is not being virtualized when you run something with bash, it's basically as native as performance gets without actually installing and running Linux (or Ubuntu specifically since that's what this is built upon) on the actual computer running Windows 10.

And here's a video that really gets into the dirty nitty gritty details if you must know it all:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/C906

br0adband

I won't get into the whole "free software" debate but suffice to say that this is working on Ubuntu Linux - from what I understand it Ubuntu is not considered a "GNU/Linux" derivative even though it's heritage comes from Debian Linux originally.

The entire idea of creating labels inside of labels inside of names inside of labels to me is ridiculous but that's another thread entirely so I'll just say it's Ubuntu and be done with it.

toastycookies

I won't get into the whole "free software" debate but suffice to say that this is working on Ubuntu Linux - from what I understand it Ubuntu is not considered a "GNU/Linux" derivative even though it's heritage comes from Debian Linux originally.

The entire idea of creating labels inside of labels inside of names inside of labels to me is ridiculous but that's another thread entirely so I'll just say it's Ubuntu and be done with it.

I believe you misunderstood me.

Is this GNU/Linux or GNU/Windows ?

br0adband

It's Ubuntu binaries (actual Ubuntu compiled binaries, directly from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, bit for bit files) running with Windows 10 kernel support for the subsystem.

The video and the info presented should be enough to answer questions. The "GNU" label is not relevant in this.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
And here's a video that really gets into the dirty nitty gritty details if you must know it all:
https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/C906

Great, thanks for that. It pretty well answers everything I wanted to know. The application is a full install of Ubuntu without the Linux kernel (the calls are handled by the Windows kernel).

Back to compiling...

Why compile? Since it's Ubuntu, you can just install Gnu radio using the apt-get command. https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/InstallingGR

Plus, Windows 10 bash is beta and I'd be willing to bet that there are many libraries that the compiler needs that are missing.

dozerman2009

Premium Subscriber
Great, thanks for that. It pretty well answers everything I wanted to know. The application is a full install of Ubuntu without the Linux kernel (the calls are handled by the Windows kernel).

Back to compiling...

Why compile? Since it's Ubuntu, you can just install Gnu radio using the apt-get command. https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/InstallingGR

Plus, Windows 10 bash is beta and I'd be willing to bet that there are many libraries that the compiler needs that are missing.

I cant exactly pinpoint were my errors are but it does seem that some libraries are missing at this point in time

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 426

br0adband

My first reaction is you might be able to get GNURadio compiled, sure, but executing it won't happen because the whole subsystem in use by bash on Windows 10 is purely command line/console based, it won't execute anything that requires some kind of GUI which GNURadio does - I read someplace the other day that someone discovered some X11 functionality but even so that's just not going to do it, especially not at this early point in the development of this stuff on Windows 10.

Perhaps in the future we'll see something happen but I'm not going to put any money on GNURadio fully working as expected anytime soon, nor OP25 for that matter which is what I'd be interested in for myself.

All those errors in the picture above that reference gtk are attempts to get a GUI working and as just stated that's not part of bash on Windows 10, at least not yet.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Interesting. I should try an Ubuntu compiled dsd on Windows 10 since it is command line. It might be missing libraries.

73 Eric

dozerman2009

Premium Subscriber
My first reaction is you might be able to get GNURadio compiled, sure, but executing it won't happen because the whole subsystem in use by bash on Windows 10 is purely command line/console based, it won't execute anything that requires some kind of GUI which GNURadio does - I read someplace the other day that someone discovered some X11 functionality but even so that's just not going to do it, especially not at this early point in the development of this stuff on Windows 10.

Perhaps in the future we'll see something happen but I'm not going to put any money on GNURadio fully working as expected anytime soon, nor OP25 for that matter which is what I'd be interested in for myself.

All those errors in the picture above that reference gtk are attempts to get a GUI working and as just stated that's not part of bash on Windows 10, at least not yet.

I agree I am going to try op25 to see were I can get at this point but I had a ton of gui errors on gru

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
While I'm not a developer, I do use Windows 7, and Linux. I prefer Linux, but there are a few exceptions where Windows is still needed. I've recently installed Windows 10 as a VM on Linux, trying to see what all the hoopla is about. So far, I'm not impressed.

I don't see the attraction, or advantage to having Linux in any shape or form, running on Windows 10. It appears to me that Microsoft is grabbing at straws, trying to bring more people on board with 10. But I would think developers would shun it.

What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.