unitrunking 2 windows why

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2WVO

hello..
wondering ... to track a p25 trunker . it says must run 2 windows. one for the Control channel and one for voice channels..

in the vocie window same as C channel window. has Parked... if the system doesnt roll the control channel.. why not park voice on it? then it can push itself to the voice channel from the voice window??

lookin for ways to slimline and make it work better maybe ?

p25 is a touchin lil bugger isnt she lol .

still cant find what is a good sample rate also .. or a PPm setting. i gettin about 75% decoding. longer they talk the better it seems.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Use SDR# to get the PPM close, then, if you have Drift Correct and a squelch set, UniTrunker will take care of the rest.

Signal and Voice roles can be accomplished with the same receiver on different tabs.

How many receivers do you have?

UniTrunker was first and foremost designed as a control channel logging program (I do believe). Even while a call is in progress, it is advantageous to be able to log the control channel messages, so it does not support using the same VCO for control channel and voice. OP25, however, does behave in the way you mention.

KB2WVO

Use SDR# to get the PPM close, then, if you have Drift Correct and a squelch set, UniTrunker will take care of the rest.

Signal and Voice roles can be accomplished with the same receiver on different tabs.

How many receivers do you have?

UniTrunker was first and foremost designed as a control channel logging program (I do believe). Even while a call is in progress, it is advantageous to be able to log the control channel messages, so it does not support using the same VCO for control channel and voice. OP25, however, does behave in the way you mention.

yeah i try to figure out that ppm.. sdrsharp doesnt seem to like to tell me in the setup window.. or i dont have a clue what iam doin to find it .. or what freq i would set it to .. to find the ppm..
i have 2 sdr's
i was gettin so so decode. but nothing like my normal scanner and DSD... that does 100% better then the sdr dongols.. at least for now..

i know it isnt DSD or uni having the issues i dont think..
i followed a site sayin .. put it on X freq and let sharp run .. could take n hour to find the ppm.. and still nothing soo no clue there..

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Find a known active frequency. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to make sure it is at a stable temperature. Open the settings (the gear icon). Adjust the PPM until the line in SDR# is in the dead center of the respective signal. It might help to zoom in.

You will have to do this with each dongle. You can open two instances of SDR# and do it simultaneously.

KB2WVO

Find a known active frequency. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to make sure it is at a stable temperature. Open the settings (the gear icon). Adjust the PPM until the line in SDR# is in the dead center of the respective signal. It might help to zoom in.

You will have to do this with each dongle. You can open two instances of SDR# and do it simultaneously.

o sure make me work for it lol .... ok sounds like a plan ... should the active freq be one from the group iam goin to track? or any freq 400s to 800s.. ??

i can say this.. i know it isnt signal stregh. i tested few diff styles. homebrew and factory. i used the one off my main scaner that gets a city about 10 miles away .. decodes them fine.. and they do simo cast. last i heard 5 repeters at once for them ..
so i can be about 87% sure it isnt antenna..
ill work on that ppm in a few. got to hit the park and let the kids run free for a few mins lol ..
ill post results hope tonite.

ty ty

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Any reliable channel will work. Something constant like the NWS or a control or data channel is best. Enter the frequency in the top left. Adjust PPM until line is over dead center of waterfall.

KB2WVO

i have to do a -1 ..... minis 1 .... to center...
i enter in uni voice window.. -1.000 ? didnt seem to help .. it shows its own center freq line .. in uni and its off.. when talkin .. even parked is off freq.. ommmmmmmmmm

KB2WVO

been watchin the VCO window.. under the listen labeled area when the ones i listen to come thru they are on the rite freqs.. think i start over with uni i may have messed with it to much ..

KB2WVO

i made a new window for giggles. under control.. and it shows my scaner in the drop down... mmmm i wonder.. should i pull what lil hair i have left out lol

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
If it is -1 leave it at 0. Being off by one is insignificant.

Your receiver type should be RTL2832U, not "control," "signal," "debug," or any of the others. Control means that UniTrunker will control your scanner and tell it what frequency to tune to.

The center frequency is not user configurable.

If you would describe your goals, what you are trying to do, as well as post some screenshots or explain your current settings, others might be able to better assist.

If you are already getting voice traffic, I'm at a loss as to what you are trying to accomplish.

KB2WVO

If it is -1 leave it at 0. Being off by one is insignificant.

Your receiver type should be RTL2832U, not "control," "signal," "debug," or any of the others. Control means that UniTrunker will control your scanner and tell it what frequency to tune to.

The center frequency is not user configurable.

If you would describe your goals, what you are trying to do, as well as post some screenshots or explain your current settings, others might be able to better assist.

If you are already getting voice traffic, I'm at a loss as to what you are trying to accomplish.

yes both windows set to RTL...
i know center isnt user config.. i posted it not knowing if showing it was using the right freqs..

goal was to hear the voice in better decoding.. it was very buggy .. sometimes good decode sometimes nothing.. sometimes half the transmite ..

i went back one build on unitrunker. seems 100% better.. i was tryin to use 1.0.32.7 i put in 1.0.31.20 and 100% better..

iam also using the settings for DSD posted on the setup site..

DSDPlus.EXE -- -O NUL -v2 -i1 -o1 -g0 -u3 -dr0 -dh0 -ds64 -dd10 -dv20 -f1 -mp

https://www.jeffreykopcak.com/2014/...coding-with-rtl-sdr-unitrunker-and-dsdplus/7/

i did put -1.000 in correction on the voice window.. i labeled voice and decode. the windows so i know what one is what ..
it didnt change nothing. so i unchecked the drift correct box..

ill have to run it and see how it goes. but so far much better... have to run and see how it goes..

if they would only have the city i want on there lol .. but nope they dumped 6 citys ... and 1 of them citys has DPW , parking officers , and other city stuff.. grrrrrrr

all this is on the channels lol

Albany County Trunking System, Albany, New York - Scanner Frequencies

KB2WVO

wish they had a way to download for a one time price.. i dont want to spend 8 bucks for a few text .. lol

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
The drift correct works only if you set a squelch value in the VCO tab.

Remote this:

-dr0 -dh0 -ds64 -dd10 -dv20

Unless you specifically tested it to be the best fine tune for your system.

Perhaps you should take up your consideration of paying to download member provided data with the owner of this website.

KB2WVO

will that was short lived. it went to the toilet.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr guessing this wont work for me.. it was great then toast.

the text is only labels.. wont help the decoding.. thats for sure. its got good control signal... theres a bug somewhere. not me lol ..

KB2WVO

was showing E:frf now its E: fhfhfhfhfhfhfhfhfhfhhfhfffhhf ..... grrrrrrrrrrrrr i dont know if its the rtl or uni buggin up... no way to know how to find out.. it was great few mins ago.. dang ..

KB2WVO

ok now i put in ... Correction -1.00000 and check the Drift correct ... on the voice window. and its back to decoding.. about 88% good ... i just dont get it.. 2 hours ago it wouldnt help it at them settings..

iam lost.

PS: the RTL is rite over a AC vent ... will 2 foot above it. so its cold...

KD8DVR

wish they had a way to download for a one time price.. i dont want to spend 8 bucks for a few text .. lol
I subscribed here. But then, I'm in an area with new systems coming online. Manual entry would kill me. Still, I'm now addicted to RR databases. The price is a good value.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

KB2WVO

Do you run your fan and compressor 100% duty?

most times. not good on the money lol ... i think once its all more or less bugless lol and working better % rate. ill make a faned box of some sorts to keep them cooler ..

update: oooo this is gettin better/worse lol ..

i switched up the dongles. not only what usb pluged into.. but also its roll...
ORIG: dongle 1 was decoder.. signal was floating green yellow once in awhile red.. for control channel figured as long as green 80% time should be fine.. pluged rite into laptop. stock antenna that came with it. the cheapo lil 3ft wire mag mount.. 2 telescope antennas. useing the shortys. set to 5.5 inchs..

dongle 2 was voice pluged in with a 25ft ext usb cable. to put it more toward front of house. where i know .. but hey .. every lil bit helps. to get better singal ratio.. mag mount outside. lil antenna set to 5.5 inchs for 800s

i switched them up. and set voice cirrection to -2.00250. and for the past 10 hours been doing great..
decode dongle has full green all the time. unable to tell with the voice but DSD is showing e:1 sometimes e:12 .... i have 90% of the talk groups blocked out. down to only 3 talkgroups.. that totals 4 city fires and 3 city Police.. they grouped the 3 citys togther on one talkgroup.. go figure .. lol

drift correct is unchecked.

the voice did stop doring the nite. acted a lil buggy ... i had to close uni a few times for it to let voice work again...

so seems my dongles had or have a lil issue of there own.. very warm to hot for just a reciver.. thats messed up to start with ..

but so far... so good.. i cant yet fully trust it tho.. sooo keeping eye on it .. if all goes good for a few days.. illpush it to the decated laptop.. hope it works there. as its XP and should be fine.. that decodes from scanner discram tap. ... does very good. but without a lockout its ALL hands on deck to hear ... lol

so onward and upward .. lol will update again ..

Last edited:

KB2WVO

I subscribed here. But then, I'm in an area with new systems coming online. Manual entry would kill me. Still, I'm now addicted to RR databases. The price is a good value.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

i agree it isnt that bad of price.. but not sayin for whatever... but heck i is po-r cant aford the other O lol ..
to spend 15 bucks for the min time. and this not work.. not good..

it isnt to bad for me as i locked out 95% of what it on the system iam listening to anyways.. i love uni and setting proitor.... that works a charme ..

i think it would be nice if they had a 1 time fee for downloading a city or county info.. or i need to find out the format for the xml file.. and build it myself..
or buy someone a cup of coffee lol cough cough lol

Status
Not open for further replies.