New Digital Frequency Quick Import for FMP-DSD+

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Howdy!

I've finally released a Digital Frequency Search Quick Import for software radio. It will work with FMP and FMP24 and you can use DSD+ to decode.

You can import NXDN, DMR, and P25 by county and state. You can narrow by power output.

Then you copy and past into the FMP.ScanList or FMP24.ScanList file and scan away.

If you are new to FMP scanlists, you're in luck, I explain it step by step on the search results page.

Let me know what you think or if you need any help. I really hope you all like this.

Digital Frequency Quick Import

slicerwizard

Not bad. Not bad at all...

But (there's always a but)... :)

I see "NXDN" results. Any way to make them "NXDN48" and "NXDN96"? FMP won't select the appropriate bandpass filter unless the NXDN symbol rate is specified.

Also, are you planning to eliminate the duplicate frequency records? I realize they show up because of different license information, but stuff like this is really going to slow down a scan:

463.5625 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 100 FB8 YG
463.5625 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 40 MO8 YG

463.6375 DMR FINGER LAKES RACING ASSOCIATION 80 FB2 YG
463.6375 DMR FINGER LAKES RACING ASSOCIATION 25 MO YG

464.6375 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 100 FB8 YG
464.6375 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 25 MO8 YG

464.7625 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 100 FB8 YG
464.7625 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 25 MO8 YG

464.8125 DMR FINGER LAKES RACING ASSOCIATION 80 FB2 YG
464.8125 DMR FINGER LAKES RACING ASSOCIATION 25 MO YG

Maybe an extra pass that looks for same frequency and same protocol and collapses it into something like:

463.5625 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 100 FB8 YG / 463.5625 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 40 MO8 YG
463.6375 DMR FINGER LAKES RACING ASSOCIATION 80 FB2 YG / 463.6375 DMR FINGER LAKES RACING ASSOCIATION 25 MO YG
464.6375 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 100 FB8 YG / 464.6375 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 25 MO8 YG
464.7625 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 100 FB8 YG / 464.7625 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 25 MO8 YG
464.8125 DMR FINGER LAKES RACING ASSOCIATION 80 FB2 YG / 464.8125 DMR FINGER LAKES RACING ASSOCIATION 25 MO YG

Something like this would be cleaner, but I don't think you have to go that far:

463.5625 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 100 FB8 YG / 40 MO8 YG
463.6375 DMR FINGER LAKES RACING ASSOCIATION 80 FB2 YG / 25 MO YG
464.6375 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 100 FB8 YG / 25 MO8 YG
464.7625 DMR SAIA COMMUNICATIONS INC. 100 FB8 YG / 25 MO8 YG
464.8125 DMR FINGER LAKES RACING ASSOCIATION 80 FB2 YG / 25 MO YG

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.

So I didn't explain it in this thread, but I am testing out different ways of searching on the Quick Import thread. 5 search tools is too many and they are each a bit different. And I even have a 6th just for Sentinel.

Try out the various tools and see which give you data you like the best. You might like the second on the page, even though it is just DMR. In fact, the second search tool should exclude all of the duplicate frequencies you listed.

Based on how most would like their data sorted and presented, I am going to redesign the searches to make it less clutter and more succinct. But, for right now, I want people to be able to try different things (I've received a lot of different suggestions).

A lot of the "duplicates" on the FMP search can be removed by setting a higher output power. Also, it wouldn't take long to sort them out in Excel.

FMP isn't going to scan anything fast. It's around 150 objects a minute. Pretty hit or miss.

Edit: I think most of the NXDN have both designators. But I will look into it. If they are unique, I can probably apply the different widths.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Nice.

How do you determine the technology? The emission designator? Is that reliable?

Is the county from that shown by the "locations" tab in ULS? Note that a state of "CA" with no county produces 908 results.

Suggestions:

1. I'd like to (optionally) see the callsign, lat, and lon.

2. Filter by station class (e.g. to eliminate mobiles).

3. Specify multiple counties/states (and add county/state to output in this case or maybe always?).

4. Specify (multiple) sort keys.

5. Show the date of the FCC database in use on the query page.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
It's determined by the emission designator. It is somewhat reliable. FMP-DSD+ is more forgiving in that regard, though. Many of them do have multiple emissions, namely analog FM voice. However, I've found that probably over half of the results are the correct format and perhaps even higher.

The county is from the location tab. Searching a state only with the county null should show everything authorized for statewide operation. Just as searching with both state and county blank does the same for nationwide. However, this is not yet 100% accurate. I have not yet completed the back-end database work for this to be correct. So I do not recommend using that feature at this time. Additionally, some of the entries are county results that are erroneously not returning properly.

An example of nationwide operation: ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQSR889 - OXBOW CARBON LLC - Locations Summary
An example of statewide operation: ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WNNH494 - APPLIED TECHNOLOGY GROUP INC - Locations Summary

In general, these are going to be very low yield items to search.

Some great suggestions in that list.

I added the callsign to the FMP search results. Also, if you search with the regular searches (DMR, P25, etc.), the call sign is listed and it links to the ULS entry on the FCC site.

2) That's available in the second search tool, but it might be letting some legitimate frequencies fall through the cracks, so it is a juggle. Alternatively, up the minimum power setting to eliminate most of the mobiles.

3) I'll ponder on this. My preference is to keep everything as simple and clean as possible. Also, some counties already yield thousands of results on their own.

4) What would you like to filter on? Some of the search tools offer sorting options. For FMP, it will be limited as each protocol will have to be listed segregated (but if you want to sort by frequency, it takes 10 seconds to copy into Excel before you move it to the ScanList file).

5) The data is from the July 10th FCC weekly release. This is on the query page, just under the searches specific to the relevant to the protocol. I was attempting to cut out some length.

I really appreciate your post. Having information like this gives me insight into what others find useful and will allow me to create better tools.

oojimentis

Premium Subscriber
Hi AggieCon,

Thanks for putting these lists and downloads together, this is very useful.

I'm having issues getting the scan to work correctly though. I imported the list for my county into FMP24.ScanList and pressed 'S' to start scanning. FMP24 does start scanning through the list but the scope screen changes to 'AM' demodulation after the first frequency and the log screen says "L/O Tuning to nnn.nnnn" for every frequency after. Also the frequency description cuts off at around the 25th character terminated with a 'smiley' character ...

I'm using DSD+ 2.18.

Scanner active
779 digital scanlist channels loaded
Tuning to 451.875 DMR South Country School Dis☺
L/O Tuning to 451.9 DMR South Country School Dis☺
L/O Tuning to 451.975 DMR BAMBINO, ROBERT - WQRE29☺
L/O Tuning to 452.125 DMR ATLANTIC GOLF CLUB - WQA☺
L/O Tuning to 452.175 DMR National Grid USA Servic☺
L/O Tuning to 452.275 DMR Mount Sinai School Distr☺
L/O Tuning to 452.3 DMR RELAY COMMUNICATIONS COR☺
L/O Tuning to 452.3 DMR RELAY COMMUNICATIONS COR☺
L/O Tuning to 452.325 DMR First Student Inc - WPMN☺
L/O Tuning to 452.325 DMR First Student Inc - WPMN☺
L/O Tuning to 452.35 DMR BAMBINO, ROBERT - WQPS30☺
L/O Tuning to 452.425 DMR HUNTINGTON, TOWN OF - WQ☺
L/O Tuning to 452.5 DMR RELAY COMMUNICATIONS COR☺
L/O Tuning to 452.5 DMR RELAY COMMUNICATIONS COR☺
L/O Tuning to 452.525 DMR UL LLC - WPEB741 - 20 FB☺
L/O Tuning to 452.725 DMR HUNTINGTON, TOWN OF - WQ☺

Wondering what I'm doing wrong??!!

Thanks!

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Welcome.

I don't know what's up. You're on to something.

I am new to using FMP too. I left it running the other night but didn't hear anything. DSD+ didn't sync with anything; didn't look into it.

My FMP24 window says FM but the spectrum window mostly says AM, except for a handful of the frequencies that don't have the "L/O". I haven't tested in FMP.

Nothing I can do about the truncation of the names, except perhaps put the call sign first. I could shorten them, but then it would be harder to tell what is what in other programs.

Slicerwizard knows a lot about this stuff, so we are in the right thread.

This is somewhat frustrating. Hopefully we can figure it out.

slicerwizard

I'd post the scanlist file contents here or email it to the DSD+ folks. I haven't played with the latest FMP24 very much, so sorry, no ideas on what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.