Listen while you can

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhopping

MPD is getting new radios and they're going to be encrypted. My friend has already received his new radio. Not sure when the change will happen.

lfd8e4

Just another sign of how times are changing for the hobby. Will the FD be changing also?

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
From what I have been told PD will go encrypted, FD will not to perserve radio interoperability. Some area PD's have decided that encryption is more important then interoperability!

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
I say that encrypted eliminates interoperabilty. There is no "standard" or one type of encryption. There are many forms of encryption and agencies choose to encrypt how they see fit. So unless every agency in the DC area used the exact same encryption type there is no way that encryption scheme A can communicate with encryption scheme B and so on and so forth. So I repeat, encryption ends radio interoperability. Now if you want to make the argument that agencies can use the NPSAC frequencies or RINS frequencies to talk to each other that is ture. But they will have to use them in the clear which means scanner monitors will be able to hear them when they transmit. What is lost in this rush to encrpyt everything is the ability of law abiding and tax paying citizens to hear the emergency services that they are paying for. If you look at recent cases especially in the District of Columbia where one officer was arrested for acting as a lookout with her portable radio while burglaries were being committed. Going encrypted isn't going to solve that. Another Officer just arrested for two homicides, I am sure that prior to his arrest he will have an encrypted radio as well. So who exactly is being served with the steady march across ths country to all encrypted public service?

Last edited:

m4a3t

Well...before MPD's system becomes encrypted, could someone tell me what their ICE units are?

home121

encryption

Somebody tell me why thay can't just put a delay of some kind, Im sure thay can figure it out. Something like the radio talk shows have only longer like 15 minutes or so.Instead of encryption?

m4a3t

It's definitely not Immigration and Customs Enforcement. It's a focused detail in each district but I haven't been able to figure out what the letters stand for yet. Anyone else care to try.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Somebody tell me why thay can't just put a delay of some kind, Im sure thay can figure it out.

Let me get this straight...

Joe talks to John. You are saying that instead of encrypting, the system records Joe's transmission and waits 15 minutes to send it to John. Then John replies, it holds the transmission for 15 minutes and sends it back.

Something about that doesn't make sense ;)

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
It's definitely not Immigration and Customs Enforcement. It's a focused detail in each district but I haven't been able to figure out what the letters stand for yet. Anyone else care to try.

How are you sure that it is not what the ICEU are for? Customs does not have large teams of agents in each city for enforcement so they relay on local law enforcement when they raid a restaurant or any other establishment seeking illegal aliens. The Obama Administration has deported more undocumented foreigners than any other administration and DC has it share. Makes perfect sense that each MPD District would have a focused detail assigned for this function especially if they sound like they are rounding people up but yes you could be right and it could be something else entirely.

Bob_61

The Obama Administration has deported more undocumented foreigners than any other administration and DC has it share.

Share some statistics on this claim! By the way this is not a political forum..............................

home121

Ok

Let me get this straight...

Joe talks to John. You are saying that instead of encrypting, the system records Joe's transmission and waits 15 minutes to send it to John. Then John replies, it holds the transmission for 15 minutes and sends it back.

Something about that doesn't make sense ;)
Ok your not the first to say what a bad idea it was,I had it in my head abt radio talk show's and there delay time. Oh well what are ya gonna do.

JoeyC

I say that encrypted eliminates interoperabilty.

False. Common ground on an unencrypted channel is what is used successfully when there are a mixture of encryption and clear talk. When field units are trained appropriately there is no loss of interoperability.

If you look at recent cases especially in the District of Columbia where one officer was arrested for acting as a lookout with her portable radio while burglaries were being committed. Going encrypted isn't going to solve that. Another Officer just arrested for two homicides, I am sure that prior to his arrest he will have an encrypted radio as well. So who exactly is being served with the steady march across ths country to all encrypted public service?

Not sure what you are trying to prove with these statements as bad cops will come with or without an encrypted radio.

If you are suggesting the encryption is hiding this type of activity from the public because they can no longer listen, you have accused every member in the department using such radios of participating in illegal activity by condoning the actions. You really aren't making such an outrageous statement are you? :confused:

JoeyC

The Obama Administration has deported more undocumented foreigners than any other administration and DC has it share.

Share some statistics on this claim! By the way this is not a political forum..............................

Most of the left-winged rags have reported this. While it may be factual that the Obama admin has increased deportations of the undocumented that have been convicted of violent crimes against persons, virtually nothing has been done with regards to the other 99%. So the figures are not representative of the real problem. Also, there is apparently a laundry list of exceptions that can be filed on the deportees behalf in an attempt to thwart the deportations and plenty of administration attorneys working to see that the deportations do not occur.

6520tkp

Your friend

MPD is getting new radios and they're going to be encrypted. My friend has already received his new radio. Not sure when the change will happen.

You say your friend has received his new radio, how did he obtain this radio, is he a police officer.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Joey C said

False. Common ground on an unencrypted channel is what is used successfully when there are a mixture of encryption and clear talk. When field units are trained appropriately there is no loss of interoperability.

I say

The probability that Joey C's statement is true is maybe 5%. My proof - 40 years listening to scanners. If agencys cannot coordinate their plain ole simple analog conventional FM radio systems, there is no way that encrypted / clear channels will be coordinated. Check thru some of the local scanning lists - you will commonly see reports of horribly uncoordinated operations. How many chiefs do we have in the USA? 30,000 fire chiefs plus 10,000 police chiefs plus 15,000 EMS chiefs - is that the numbers?

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Most of the left-winged rags have reported this. While it may be factual that the Obama admin has increased deportations of the undocumented that have been convicted of violent crimes against persons, virtually nothing has been done with regards to the other 99%. So the figures are not representative of the real problem. Also, there is apparently a laundry list of exceptions that can be filed on the deportees behalf in an attempt to thwart the deportations and plenty of administration attorneys working to see that the deportations do not occur.

Sorry, I did not intend to bring politics in to the discussion. My point was that undocumented individuals of foreign origins are being deported and that has not stopped. Customs is actively seeking them out. Custom officers also use the local police to assist on raids.

Status
Not open for further replies.