New DCFD/MPDC TRS on 700MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDC185

Has anyone heard about this? Supposedly there already is some system testing in place in both FDMA and TDMA P25 modes in the 770MHz neighborhood. I see most of the city's police are still using what looks like UHF radios and DCFD still using 800MHz, so I would assume that if there's a new system, it's linked to the current one.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm wondering if you're hearing about Maryland's FIRST system, which is all Phase II, or perhaps one of the Virginia counties that have a P25 system now but are moving to Phase II?

Mike

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I know, but I can't tell you.

You can put your scanner in search mode and see whats happening in your back yard :)

AlexC

Database Admin
MPDC is moving to a new P25 system. Expect it to be used heavily for inauguration.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
MPD just started using APX6000 which are single band radios last year, are they really going to yet another 700 MHz system again?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
What APX6000's, and what other 700Mhz systems? Do tell.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
MPD started replacing XTS3000s with APX6000s on the UHF trunked system. Since I see some MPD officers with XTS and some wwith APX. It is safe to assume the APX also operates on UHF.

The current phase of MD FiRST phase II trunked system only covers from Cecil and Kent County to Baltimore area, where MdTA has their jurisdiction. This is because MdTA operates on UHF band and subject to narrowbanding mandate. As far as I know this trunked system hasn't been extended to DC area yet.

That's why I said may be its "another" 700 MHz system in the works?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I bet you that they are not carrying APX6000's.

I also bet you that they are not doing this via the FIRST system.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
MPD started replacing XTS3000s with APX6000s on the UHF trunked system. Since I see some MPD officers with XTS and some wwith APX. It is safe to assume the APX also operates on UHF.

The current phase of MD FiRST phase II trunked system only covers from Cecil and Kent County to Baltimore area, where MdTA has their jurisdiction. This is because MdTA operates on UHF band and subject to narrowbanding mandate. As far as I know this trunked system hasn't been extended to DC area yet.

That's why I said may be its "another" 700 MHz system in the works?

Yeah you may be hearing PG speaking with DC along Southern Ave but I will check it out on my PSR 800 when I am in the city next week. If DCPD went to a 700 MHz system then maybe they would not need to encrypt the channels (yeah fat chance) but they are due for an upgrade. They seem to be behind the other areas.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
You'll be surprised on how nt behind the times they actually are.

Happy scanning!

Things are happening...

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Well I did not mean to suggest that DC was old and out of date radio wise yet I do not understand why they have the police on one TRS system and the fire department on another. Why not have one for both? Same goes for the FD and EMS. The FD still seems to resist completely integrating with the EMS even after the Rosenbaum family choose to work on improving the system opposed to suing the city. The latest plan of taking ALS medic units out of service in the early hours of the morning is just nutty. Sure the call volume may be lower at those times but tell that to somebody in cardiac arrest at 4 AM but I digress. Everything in DC should be "world class" and I am afraid it is not.

aa1uz

Looks like I found the new system. It's an interesting looking system with a P25 control channel on one of DC's current 800 MHZ channels. The only TG I have picked up on my PSR-500 or 800 showed up as 1039 on my 500, and it appeared to be a simulcast of MPD Citywide, and I can confirm it was received on a 770MHZ frequencies. What is weird is only my 500 appears to be tracking the one talkgroup, but my 800 is decoding the system and is what is used for the Unitrunker screenshots and won't track the same talkgroup. I am not getting anything to track what appears to be other unencrypted talkgroups according to Unitrunker, but I am assuming these talkgroups are TDMA.

Does anyone have any more info on this system or any tips on how to track it?

Attachments

• DC System.jpg
    DC System.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 821
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    71.2 KB · Views: 980
  • New System2.jpg
    New System2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 853

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not to cast any doubt on what you found - it may be legit - but you should be aware that the PSR-500 (and it's brothers) are prone to spurs in the 700 Mhz area.

I would attempt to find these freqs on the FCC database or on an official Inauguration bandplan (one such bandplan was floating around the net about 4 years ago). If you can't find them, the possibility is that it's a spur is stronger. It's something to keep in mind

Can anyone hear these freqs on a Uniden scanner, which is less prone to this?

Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'll wager that the freq coordination document is being kept under very tight seals - (and not to violate the rules about cross posting), but one of the items that Al Henney will reportedly have with him at the Scan-DC meeting next weekend is the 2013 Inauguration issue. The 2009 issue was very comprehensive, and I would expect no less here

Mike

aa1uz

I am aware of the 700/800MHZ issues the GRE scanner are prone to. I was also just about to update my post as I figured out why my PSR-800 wasn't tracking the system - I didn't have the bandplan set to auto, and now I'm tracking TDMA encrypted talkgroups as they aren't skipped over on P25 systems. I'll hold off on any further personal judgement of my find until someone else can help verify. Though I will post a capture of the system frequency table according to Unitrunker. I'd love confirmation I'm not crazy and to know more about the system.

Thanks.

Drew

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.8 KB · Views: 707

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Although Mike has doubted me on other lists, this is a 700MHz system. Expect to see more activity shortly on it.

K3EP

I programmed in the four 800 MHz frequencies marked above as control channels and 855.4625 is currently active. I hear TG 1039 a lot, performing radio checks. A few times they referenced 1VTAC. The system ID is 445. The frequencies I’ve seen TG 1039 talking on are:

That's all for now.

RS8

Premium Subscriber
Dcfd

I was told today by someone who retired from Unified Communications that the DCFD channels can't be received because they are code.What does that mean? I know I cant receive any DCFD on the 850 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.