DCFD Transitioning to P25 system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
It is my understanding that the new APX radios for the 700/800 MHz P25 system are currently being distributed to the DC Fire/EMS service, programmed with current FDMA talkgroups and possibly with TDMA for future use, and that sometime in the near future, FD/EMS will be transitioning to the P25 system where MPDC has already been operating.

Does anyone have more specific knowledge of this?

Is there a better timeline for the switchover?

Does this include other city services that are on the P16 system, and/or is it going to be phased out?
I am aware that most, if not all, city agencies already have talkgroups assigned on the new system, but I continue to hear them on P16, unless they are being simulcast. (?)

Will DCFD continue to simulcast on the P16 system until they are sure everyone is online?

How (if any) will this affect Mutual Aid with other COG agencies around the jurisdiction (Montg, PG, Alex, Arl, Fairfax)?

Are they planning on encrypting any/all of their transmissions, like MPDC does?

Is anyone running a program like Pro96Com on the P25 system to see if newer talkgroups are becoming active yet? I will try at the end of the week while I am at home.

Inquiring minds want to know! Particularly those of us that monitor DCFD!

JK ;)

lukekb

Good question

I don't want to start any debates but does anyone have an idea whether Fire & EMS would be encrypted? I am just trying to figure out if I should put a P25 Phase 2 scanner on the christmas list.

fredva

Feed Provider
DCFD had a plan to go encrypted but then neighboring fire departments raised a stink about it affecting mutual aid. There was a meeting among regional fire chiefs and after the meeting, DC claimed they never had a timeline for implementing encryption. As far as I know, they haven't ruled out encryption but it is on hold for the time being.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
DCFD had a plan to go encrypted but then neighboring fire departments raised a stink about it affecting mutual aid. There was a meeting among regional fire chiefs and after the meeting, DC claimed they never had a timeline for implementing encryption. As far as I know, they haven't ruled out encryption but it is on hold for the time being.

That's good to know, losing things to monitor in DC every day!

BTW your feeds have quite a spread! I understand Fredericksburg, but WV and Ohio? You must have one heck of a directional antenna!

JK :)

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Fairfax and Loudoun P25 Phase 2

I live in Leesburg, is it worth buying a P25 phase II scanner for Loudoun/Fairfax? From what I gather both counties are mostly encrypted. I have HP1 now but get almost nothing for Fairfax and only Loudoun fire.
Am I wasting my $$$ to upgrade to P25 Phase II? I get Montgomery fine.
Thank for your thoughts.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Migration has begun

Per Alan Henney at Scan-DC...sounds like all the mapping hasn't been determined by us scannists yet.
===========================================
The D.C. FEMS made the switch this morning to the new P25 system.

Some channels will remain simulcast to the old/P16 system for awhile.

From what I understand, mobiles remain on the old P16 system for how much longer?

This will also allow PGFD to continue reprogramming its fleet to the new P25 talkgroups.

On the new P25 system:

The ?0? zone will remain unencrypted
- The 0 zone will be used for firegrounds when mutual aid might be involved.

The ?0A? and ?0B? and ?0C? zones are encrypted.
- Firegrounds will be steered to the 0A and 0B zones unless there is mutual aid; 0C is DCFD only.

The ?0H? zone will continue to be unencrypted for hospitals consults.

covert53

Dude
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Lukekb. So the Broadcastify feed was not adjsuted then since I am not hearing these transmissions. Is that correct?

lukekb

I think so... that said, there is not much left on the clear. I am only getting the Main channel, Automated and Human dispatch channels. There are no more fire ground channels.

covert53

Dude
Premium Subscriber
Is anyone hearing anything from DCFD on Broadcastify? I am not and there are currently 6 other listeners besides myself.

dtscho

Database Admin
Could someone please run Unitrunker/Pro96Com on the P25 system, and submit all the frequencies in use? I think there are some 800 frequencies that were used in the P16 system which are not included on the RadioReference database page for the P25 system.

Thanks.

Dave

freqhopping

Could someone please run Unitrunker/Pro96Com on the P25 system, and submit all the frequencies in use? I think there are some 800 frequencies that were used in the P16 system which are not included on the RadioReference database page for the P25 system.

Thanks.

Dave

If someone doesn't do it before Friday, I can do it that day when I go down there to fish and watch the WWII flyover.

beastieboy101

Thanks.

Dave

Dave,

Wish I would have seen this post earlier today; I could have ran Pro96Com on the P25 system for a few hours. I will probably be in DC on Thursday of this week. I should be able to run Pro96Com for several hours from about 0800-1400.

If I don't post anything by Thursday evening then I didn't go in to the city for work; and you could use whatever freqhopping can get on Friday.

If someone doesn't do it before Friday, I can do it that day when I go down there to fish and watch the WWII flyover.

Freqhopping,

Where do you typically fish at in the city? What are trying to catch?

I am always looking for quiet little hiding places in the city to fish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.