RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Washington Radio Discussion Forum

Washington Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Washington.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Watching interoperability evolve with these changes is going to be interesting. The flavor I get from what read is that agencies are more concerned with encryption than interoperability. Calibrate my knowledge but one cannot operate on one trunked system and scan a second trunked or even conventional system at the same time with current subscriber units such as the APX. Mike

4854 12/08/86,323 07/14/02,Gone,but not forgotten
Sponsored links

Old 08-08-2012, 8:46 PM

I believe today I saw my first 700 MHz antenna on a patrol car. Is this correct?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:33 AM

Most district cars have them directly in front of the light bar.
Old 08-09-2012, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commstar View Post
Watching interoperability evolve with these changes is going to be interesting. The flavor I get from what read is that agencies are more concerned with encryption than interoperability. Calibrate my knowledge but one cannot operate on one trunked system and scan a second trunked or even conventional system at the same time with current subscriber units such as the APX. Mike

It will scan, sort of, not well.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 AM

are they going to remove the VHF antennas from the vehicles once theyve moved over to the 700 MHz digital trunking system? and are they actually using the digital system yet? i still hear a lot on 155.58... nothing patched thus far.
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalolo View Post
are they going to remove the VHF antennas from the vehicles once theyve moved over to the 700 MHz digital trunking system? and are they actually using the digital system yet? i still hear a lot on 155.58... nothing patched thus far.
I don't think the VHF antennas are going anywhere as the JWIN is VHF. As I understand, they are only adding 700 MHz in certain areas for additional coverage. We don't have any 700 MHz going in in District 4 to my knowledge.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commstar View Post
Scanners will probably play a part. I was stuck at a roadblock yesterday for the Fort Wright fire and the officer running the roadblock and I chatted briefly about my PSR-800 (open top car). I know my neighbor who is a reserve deputy also owns a scanner and I've talked to a couple other deputies who own one. With the growing number of disparate radio systems, I think scanners will definitely stay around in more than a few public safety vehicles.
Old 08-30-2012, 9:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I believe I am hearing digital P25 audio patched to 155.58. Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-30-2012, 9:40 PM
Database Administrator
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What county are you in?

Old 08-30-2012, 9:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7kdc View Post
What county are you in?
King.
Old 08-30-2012, 9:56 PM
Database Administrator
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well if your hearing buzzing on that frequency that wasn't there before its more than likely they switched to digital or at least temporary.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No, it's still an analog signal. It appears they have started to patch some users from the new 700 MHz digital trunking system that will be used in King County, to the old analog conventional repeaters that will be taken out of service once the digital system is all online.

I just wanted to know if anyone else noticed this. A P25 patch; actually to 154.68 and 155.58. Unless I am just crazy.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

I'm monitoring all of the frequencies right now. Nothing on the IWN system as yet. Not sure where it's being patched from...

Hasn't been a lot traffic as yet...
Old 08-30-2012, 10:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
I'm monitoring all of the frequencies right now. Nothing on the IWN system as yet. Not sure where it's being patched from...

Hasn't been a lot traffic as yet...
So you hear the P25 sound too? On the analog frequencies? Or am I just insane? I also checked the system but I don't have the 700 MHz CC's... do you have them?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Nope, no P25 audio as yet. Disregard last.. nothing but images on my PSR-800! Grrr.

Last edited by nickcarr; 08-30-2012 at 11:08 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
Nope, no P25 audio as yet. Disregard last.. nothing but images on my PSR-800! Grrr.
Yeah, it's sad. I am almost 100% positive Seattle PD will go encrypted when they get their digital radio system. Epically with King5 or maybe it was Komo; anyways trying to sue them. I bet they'll go encrypted as soon as they can. Kind of like "So you want to sue us... we'll take away one of your most valuable resources. The ability to monitor us".
Old 08-31-2012, 9:56 AM

I doubt the news agencies are too worried about monitoring radio comms anymore, especially when there are at least 20 yahoos with iPhones uploading video to youtube any time there is a police response these days. I passed one of KREM's remotes on the freeway (way to block traffic doing 50 mph in the left lane while talking on your cell phone, btw) on Wednesday and they don't even have a scanner antenna on the vehicle.

I'd been hearing what sounded on my old radio like digital on WSP Spokane dispatch and WSP statewide common for a month or so, but it's stopped so now I'm convinced it was probably just noise. I haven't heard any audio that sounded like it was patched from P25 on those freqs. They all still sound like they're in this dimension.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM

WSP just released a statement. They're planning to switch all their radios to P25 digital by January 1st and they say it will not be encrypted. Good news, except for needing to buy a new scanner.

WA State Patrol Media Release - Statewide WSP Radio Change Starts Today in Yakima
Old 10-09-2012, 4:20 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is great news!

Which system will that be?!
Old 10-09-2012, 8:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Digital Switch

Local news( Benton County) had a clip that said local WSP was switcing to digital next week. Does anyone have the freqs , are the going to 700 mhz ? I can not find anything in a FCC database search that is licensed to Washington Strate in that band I have Pro197 just need freqs or somewhere to start searching Thanks

Last edited by poorfarm; 10-09-2012 at 9:59 PM..

Tags
washington state patrol