New Washington State Patrol Radio System Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrw14493

I recently spoke with a troop that I know. They're going to an 800 MHz Motorola p25 trunked system with full encryption on everything. We talked for a couple of hours about it...they're not too excited...

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
This is awesome news, I cannot wait for the changes. This is what happenes whin you publish the talk group Id's

sepura

Premium Subscriber
Will this just be a system for WSP or will other state, county, and local entities be able to join the system for their primary means of communications?

WAScanMan

Will this just be a system for WSP or will other state, county, and local entities be able to join the system for their primary means of communications?

I read that part of the reason for the upgrade was better interoperability, don't know what's wrong with LERN though.

jrw14493

People need to understand that interoperability is a thing of the past. In an agency's quest for a new system, they fail to remember this one little piece of major importance.

Case in point: Grant County -- taking a county that has been VHF for years and is surrounded by counties operating on VHF; where's the interop there when you go p25 800 trunked?

They just want a system where they can't be screwed over by any member of the general public that has a scanner.

DOT is on 800 LTR Multinet, WSP figures 800 will work equally as well for them on a moneyrolla platform that has been proven time and time again.

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
I don't see an 800 MHz system in the works for Washington anytime soon. Sounds like the guy is spreading disinformation to me. I re-read the article abt the $40M upgrade to the system. They indicated that they were to upgrade in segments; half portables, then balance and vehicle radios. Hardly the way they would handle a complete change of bands. If they intend on operating analog for awhile they would still have to change all the radios to 800 from VHF.

Also, would $40M really change the entire state? With 800 they would need to have many more sites, and even if they simply used the WSDOT sites, they would still require eqpt. And will the exitsting Micro system handle digital? I'm not a tech, so I don't know or would it require an upgrade as well (read more bucks guys)?

Finally there is the financial crisis in Olympia. Have you been paying attention to what Mdm Gov and her minions have been doing? Cutting budgets every chance they get. DSHS is getting really stingy with the poor and it would be seriously bad PR to be putting all sorts of bells and whistles not really required on a state-of-the-art Comms system. My guess is that no matter what upgrades they end up doing, it will be essentials first, using what they have, and delaying most of the project until the State is financially better off.

My best guestimate (and I have no sources so perhaps you're all correct) is that WSP has been so stingy in the past with money for Comms that they are still for the most part using a CHP-like simplex system statewide with only a modicom of repeaters. We only got one in Vancouver like within the past five years. No, I believe they may go digital (where most of that $40M will go I presume) but will go narrowband VHFon the existing infrastructure with improvements. Certainly new radios, consoles, etc. and perhaps even put those UHF licenses to work on a computer system. (Or, at least allow those units within range of a system like Clark, King, or Snohomish Cos, piggyback on their system for computers in the vehicles.)

As for encryption, they have never been very rabbid about listening in. Perhaps some channels such as the SWAT teams or other higher security, but system wide...I seriously doubt that EVEN IF they do go 800.

I could be proved completely wrong, but it would run afoul of all historical WSP radio thoughts. And I have been tracking their system since the 70s. My gut says this would be closer to reality.

But hey; who knows?!

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
Well, there you are

This seems to be the latest information. Somewhat unanticipated to be a full partner for the troopers too and not just the special units. Given the paper earlier posted from about 2009 where lots of "territorial" interests discussed and hard to believe they will meet deadlines doing it this way, but it could well be a fun process to watch. Also will be watching for more $ being authorized as with Motorola involved it will be difficult to stick to budget.

They are doing the multi-mode thing, but in VHF. In this topog that is the only area of spectrum that makes any sense. I had heard of a partnership, but this is a bit surprising from a budget standpoint. Not to mention it will be interesting to see how well the troopers adapt.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is whether the JIWN system has computer access?

I still maintain that it will not be encrypted full time for all talkgroups, but I haven't been right on this thing so far????????????

Live and learn.

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
Still up in the air

This issue seems to be playing out at all different levels, but I am still going out on a limb and saying that it appears to not be certain in any direction yet.

Intel is still coming in, and appears to be in conflict. I through that link out to a couple different people, including someone doing some research into this specific upgrade.

Thus far, in neither case is it believed that WSP will do their basic dispatching and operations on the JIWN system only. One source who alegedly is part of the Communications Division indicated no way will they trunk. Too expensive. Narrow band VHF P-25. Furthermore, that source indicates that certain specific interop channels (OSCCR, NLEC, LERN, DNR Common, Statewide Fire) will remain analog (going back to the multi-mode radio idea from the Tacoma paper article).

The document presented here breaches the idea of a no bid single vendor stumbling block as well. I don't think that we can discount this considering other intel said that they already put the upgrade out to bid and have returns including from Kenwood I believe. Throwing that out could create major legal issues which bring in political and financial problems as well. Remember what Mdme. Governor has been touring the State about lately. Raising a sales tax to support major budget deficits.

The more likely source says the conventional for day-to-day and some units utilizing JIWN (which if I understand correctly is already happening to some extent).

All I can say is I don't believe the final decision has been made and passed through all of the hoops. So keep the intel coming guys, cause I think we'd all like to get to the bottom of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.