RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Washington Radio Discussion Forum

Washington Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Washington.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym70 View Post
What trunked system?
The Frequency I am referring to is T 40912, and is used by the Cowlitz/Wakahikum Narcotics Task Force as well as teams from surounding counties.. Used primarly for survailance and undercover operations..
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2012, 7:32 PM

Default Sounding off...

AREA
LOCAL
Lakewood, Pierce County, Washington, USA
MOBILE
Primary - King, Pierce & Thurston Counties.
Secondary - Surrounding counties.

MONITOR
LOCAL & MOBILE
-PCSO (EAST/WEST)
-WSP (SEATTLE SOUTH/TACOMA/EAST PIERCE/OLYMPIA PATROLS)

SCANNERS
LOCAL
UNIDEN BearTracker 800 BCT7 - Purchased recently from local Craigslist ad $25
MOBILE
UNIDEN TrunkTracker II BCT15 (NOT "X") - Purchased years ago from RS $250ish?!?

Locally I listen primarily to keep abreast on whats happening around my family! Safety is paramount!

Mobily (is that a word? :biggrin: ) I listen to what ever select areas I am in which covers all of King, Pierce & Thruston counties, primarily SO & WSP (for lack of programming knowledge) for traffic updates (Incredible time saving tool) and to know what areas to avoid for pursuits, violence & stray bullets and also to monitor local AMBERs!

Would appreciate insight from those in the know on the following topics:

Configuring Live Teamspeak 3 Feeds via Desktop PC running WIN7
-Have Leased dedicated private commercial server in Seattle - 24/7
-One channel contains links to a few LiveFeeds from this site
-Looking to remove links and create Direct Live Feeds from my BCT7 (otheres as I can acquire them) via PC
-Primarily with setting up multiple feeds through one PC e.i. sound cards/mixers/switches etc.

Configuring Outside Antenna (Prefer inexpensive methods, incuding DIY, that produce best results)
-To feed the BCT7 (others as I can acquire them)
-Current location is Lakewood, WA
-Elevation is estimated at 297-300ft

Best Results/Low Cost Mobile Antenna Suggetions
-Vehicle is paid for ...open to ALL mount type options
-Low Profile a plus, Covert would be best!

Interested in DIY sollutions for boosting Sprint AirCard Signal strength
-both Locally (when power/internet service goes out)
-& while MOBILE!

Hands-On instruction on programming trunk groups for the BCT15. Free dinner is certainly not out of the question!!! Any of you local smart guys hungry? :biggrin:
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbs12sam View Post
The Frequency I am referring to is T 40912, and is used by the Cowlitz/Wakahikum Narcotics Task Force as well as teams from surounding counties.. Used primarly for survailance and undercover operations..
If you are talking about this system Clark Regional Emergency Services Agency (CRESA) Trunking System, Vancouver, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
It shows that 40912 is a patch from the 800 system over to Cowlitz County VHF sheriff frequency.
Old 01-31-2012, 3:38 PM

Just joined yesterday, I am new to the hobby but just bought a Uniden SC230 on a whim. I am in Seattle, King county, Ballard area.

After purchasing the SC230 on amazon(arrives Thursday!) I found it might not be the best for me since it doesn't do trunking, but oh well. I would like to eventually get a handheld that can listen to local PD/EMS/Fire/Metro Coaches. Got any recommendations or do you think the SC230 will last me awhile?
Old 02-24-2012, 8:28 AM
DB Admin Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentestscribble View Post
Just joined yesterday, I am new to the hobby but just bought a Uniden SC230 on a whim. I am in Seattle, King county, Ballard area.

After purchasing the SC230 on amazon(arrives Thursday!) I found it might not be the best for me since it doesn't do trunking, but oh well. I would like to eventually get a handheld that can listen to local PD/EMS/Fire/Metro Coaches. Got any recommendations or do you think the SC230 will last me awhile?
Hows that scanner working for you, for our area you will need a trunking scanner.
lowboy654@radioreference.com
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowboy654 View Post
Hows that scanner working for you, for our area you will need a trunking scanner.
I have been listening to the metro busses at work, I can't seem to pick them up consistently at home. Other than that and random hits every once in awhile I'm not getting too much. I'm looking at the
Uniden BCD396XT Handheld TrunkTracker IV, but will probably have to wait a month to bite the bullet.
Old 02-25-2012, 5:50 PM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Yup, I would think for our area you need a trunking type scanner, I don't think you will need a digital scanner as most of the stuff in our area is encrypted, so you could spend far less, just a good analog scanner Will work fine, and the cost will be far less then a 396.
Old 02-28-2012, 3:17 PM

I joined RR in Dec 2011 so I guess I’ve been remiss about sounding off here. Several of you have responded to questions I’ve had already and for that I’m grateful.

USER ID: gmt48

LOCAL AREA:
Gig Harbor, Pierce County, Washington, USA

MONITOR:
-Gig Harbor PD/FD
-Pierce County Sheriff West
-Washington State Patrol West
- Kitsap County Sheriff
- CB when on the highways

RADIO
GRECOM PSR310 Scanner

SOFTWARE:
PSREdit 310
Old 02-29-2012, 2:01 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentestscribble View Post
I have been listening to the metro busses at work, I can't seem to pick them up consistently at home. Other than that and random hits every once in awhile I'm not getting too much. I'm looking at the
Uniden BCD396XT Handheld TrunkTracker IV, but will probably have to wait a month to bite the bullet.
Return the SC230 and buy the Uniden 346XT scanner. It's cheaper than the 230. It's the same as the 396XT but without the P25 digital ability.

KC Metro is transitioning to digital trunking. It's currently active but can only be monitored with the GRE PSR-800 scanner. It's presumed at some point (Q4 2012) they will terminate their current 452 Mhz frequencies.

If you're really into KC Metro Transit then you'll need the PSR-800.
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2012, 3:01 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Hi everyone. I'm Don from Gig Harbor, and i'm so new to this, I don't even own a scanner yet I did have my eye on the radio shack PRO-163 triple trunking scanner. The price seems to be right for a beginner. Does anybody have a better choice for the money? I live in very rural Gig Harbor and would like to listen to the fire and police mainly. Thank you for all the information posted on the site. I'm trying to get it done without asking to many questions here, but I know I will need some expert advice along the way, again, Thank you..
Old 10-13-2012, 9:50 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingin View Post
Hi everyone. I'm Don from Gig Harbor, and i'm so new to this, I don't even own a scanner yet I did have my eye on the radio shack PRO-163 triple trunking scanner. The price seems to be right for a beginner. Does anybody have a better choice for the money? I live in very rural Gig Harbor and would like to listen to the fire and police mainly. Thank you for all the information posted on the site. I'm trying to get it done without asking to many questions here, but I know I will need some expert advice along the way, again, Thank you..
Don,

The R/S scanners are re-badged GRE scanners. So you have two main companies right now -- GRE American and Uniden. IMHO, the Uniden scanners are much easier to program -- but some people do like the GRE scanners.

The Uniden BCT15x would be the same model on the Uniden side.

Uniden Bearcat BCT15X Scanner BCT-15X

Now, the other side of the scanner coin is the digital versus analog feature. The Pro-163 and BCT15x are analog scanners and do not scan digital radio transmissions -- which is called P25. The downside to P25 is that a system can be digital but certain channels can be encrypted. You cannot decode encrypted channels on any scanner.

The P25 scanners are quite a bit more expensive -- regardless of brand.

You may have not heard but WSP is moving to P25 very soon. I'm pretty sure they'll be still using the usual VHF frequencies -- for a period of time. Eventually, they'll move to P25 full-time. Thankfully, it sounds like they're forgoing encryption.

The Tacoma/Puyallup public safety system has a few digital P25 channels. Pierce Co transit uses P25 full-time.

So you might want to consider investing in a P25-capable scanner. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions, etc.

-Nick
Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Thank you Nick. After much research, and talking with a person that works with the wife, who's very much into scanners, I made the purchase. I really lucked out finding this guy. He's local, and he knows all about scanners, he used to be a dispatch in CA. He says he will do the programming for me, so I'm very thankful for that. I also picked up an external speaker along with an outdoor antenna. I live in a very wooded area, miles away from any city, I figured the antenna would help out on that, he agreed.

My aunt was kind enough to lend me her 20+ year old Uniden BC-170 cant believe this unit still works. She also gave me a bunch of papers with codes on it that has the King Dome security, now that's old..

Again, Thank you Nick!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 PM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

So do you like it ? and how is that set up working.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Well it's still in the mail. When I do get it, i'm just going to pass it off to have it programmed, that will be another week at least. I will post after it's all set up and running.
Old 10-30-2012, 9:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Well it's up and running. I got the ST2 antenna on a 20' pole. Bought the ST3 to begin with, heck I coulda bent a couple coat hangers to make this thing, so I never even tried it out. The scanner is great, BUT, like most others on this site, if you don't know how to program it, maybe you shouldn't buy it. I'm in very rural Gig Harbor and with the new antenna i'm picking up Shelton and Olympia to the south. I'm pretty sure i'm getting some Seattle stuff also, as well as Kitsap Co, Bremerton & Silverdale, Tacoma. The scanner has plenty of bells and whistles on it, but it would be a big help if you knew what you were doing. I don't As for the trunking part? I just don't know if i'm picking anything up or not, all I see on the scanner is NFM, nothing about trunking.

Question for a BCT15X user, when im scanning should I see something about trunking, where the NFM is if im on a trunked channel, or group? Should there also be a VHF UHF? If so, I dont ever see anything besides NFM. Would it be wise for me to use online programing to get trunking? How would I know if im on a trunked channel?

Thanks..
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2012, 2:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Finally my BCT15X stopped on a MOT channel so I hit hold button, Tacoma police 868.2500MHz, thing is i'm not hearing anything, i'm not going to leave that channel until I can pick something up. Am I missing something? My antenna picks up stuff from a lot further away than Tacoma. Do I need to tweak anything? I plan on turning the ST2 antenna more towards Tacoma, but will I have to do, or add other equipment to pick this up? Squelch is set to, two clicks right of static.

Thanks, Don..
Old 11-12-2012, 4:56 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Smile Gig Harbor Tower

Hey all, I just wanted to put up a tower location I found for the Gig Harbor area, this allows me to receive the Tacoma MOT trunked system. I hope it helps.

AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.
Old 01-06-2013, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingin View Post
Finally my BCT15X stopped on a MOT channel so I hit hold button, Tacoma police 868.2500MHz, thing is i'm not hearing anything, i'm not going to leave that channel until I can pick something up. Am I missing something? My antenna picks up stuff from a lot further away than Tacoma. Do I need to tweak anything? I plan on turning the ST2 antenna more towards Tacoma, but will I have to do, or add other equipment to pick this up? Squelch is set to, two clicks right of static.

Thanks, Don..
That freq. is an alternate control channel on the trunked system. An alternate control channel is usually used as a voice channel when not used as a CC. It's possible they are not using that freq. in the system.
If you want to hear that system you will need to put in all the control channels and run it as a trunked system.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Newbe Sounding off...

From Everett,new to scanning,just picked up a 396XT.I have gotten most of Sno Co SERS, Skagit,and King Co,programed,just having trouble with programing in Lake Stevens police freq.If I'm understanding things correctly,Lake Stevens police are dispatched from Sno Co SERS east simulcast,but I can't find any other designation for TAC,or car to car.Maybe some how I've missed these freq,or are all of Lake Stevens police already in SERS,east.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2013, 8:26 AM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Welcome to all of the new folks here.

Tags